BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 1, 2013 4:07 pm  #301

Re: Series 3 discussion SPOILER THREAD!!! WARNING!!! SPOILERS!!!

Better picture:

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

August 1, 2013 4:15 pm  #302

Swanpride wrote:

I don't either...but Sherlock in Disguise makes sense, considering The Empty House.

Sherlock in  disguise even makes sense in "The Adventure of C.A. Milverton":
"...( Sherlock Holmes) sprang to his feet and passed into his bedroom. A little later a rakish young workman, with a goatee beard and a swaggger, lit his clay pipe at the lamp before descending into the street."..."'It was a most necessary step. I am a plumber with a rising business, Escott, by name.'"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

August 1, 2013 4:31 pm  #303

Some people on twitter seem to think he has a drug habit again, but I don't believe that at all.  Definitely not enough to become a hobo.

Last edited by sj4iy (August 1, 2013 4:31 pm)

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.

August 1, 2013 4:48 pm  #304

Swanpride wrote:

The writers once said that they decided early on not make a "thing" of his drug habit, so I doubt it.

That was my thinking, as well.

Last edited by sj4iy (August 1, 2013 4:48 pm)

August 1, 2013 4:57 pm  #305

They have to be very careful with things like that on TV, the drug thing. Let's say there was a scene like that in a future episode, they would have to place it so that it occurs after the 9pm watershed, I think. And even so, there's a chance that some idiot would make a complaint, saying that they're glamourising drug abuse on TV.  They wouldn't take that risk.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

August 1, 2013 5:06 pm  #306

kittykat wrote:

They have to be very careful with things like that on TV, the drug thing. Let's say there was a scene like that in a future episode, they would have to place it so that it occurs after the 9pm watershed, I think. And even so, there's a chance that some idiot would make a complaint, saying that they're glamourising drug abuse on TV.  They wouldn't take that risk.

Well, Sherlock Holmes didn't have a drug problem.  He did the same drugs that people of his day did.  Sure, he has experimented a bit, but they weren't habitual.  This Sherlock also does that as well...he smokes, has dabbled in the past, but his real addiction is being engaged at all times.  So I hate when people start talking about Holmes of any era as a drug addict...because he wasn't.

August 1, 2013 5:41 pm  #307

sj4iy wrote:

kittykat wrote:

Well, Sherlock Holmes didn't have a drug problem.  He did the same drugs that people of his day did.  Sure, he has experimented a bit, but they weren't habitual.  This Sherlock also does that as well...he smokes, has dabbled in the past, but his real addiction is being engaged at all times.  So I hate when people start talking about Holmes of any era as a drug addict...because he wasn't.

I know what you're saying, but there are people out there who just like to complain about stuff.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

August 1, 2013 5:45 pm  #308

sj4iy wrote:

Better picture:

Is it just me or does he look ridiculously sexy wearing sweats? 

-------------------------------------------------------

August 1, 2013 5:46 pm  #309

He looks sexy in anything...or nothing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 1, 2013 5:51 pm  #310

Heh

August 1, 2013 6:00 pm  #311

besleybean wrote:

He looks sexy in anything...or nothing.

Very true 

-------------------------------------------------------

August 1, 2013 6:12 pm  #312

kittykat wrote:

sj4iy wrote:

kittykat wrote:

I know what you're saying, but there are people out there who just like to complain about stuff.

I seem to remember that Canon Watson was quite worried about the cocaine habit. Maybe it wasn't criminal in those days but I'm not sure if it was a socially accepted behaviour either. Honestly, I'm sometimes really fed up with all the exaggerated correctness going on. Do we really always have to subject any story to a moral check-up? It doesn't apply to books, so why do TV programmes have to be checked and cross-checked if they conform to these rules? I wouldn't want to see a drug habit glorified but why not show it as a problem a character might have? 
Sorry, rant over. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 1, 2013 6:21 pm  #313

SusiGo wrote:

kittykat wrote:

sj4iy wrote:

I seem to remember that Canon Watson was quite worried about the cocaine habit. Maybe it wasn't criminal in those days but I'm not sure if it was a socially accepted behaviour either. Honestly, I'm sometimes really fed up with all the exaggerated correctness going on. Do we really always have to subject any story to a moral check-up? It doesn't apply to books, so why do TV programmes have to be checked and cross-checked if they conform to these rules? I wouldn't want to see a drug habit glorified but why not show it as a problem a character might have? 
Sorry, rant over. 

I have no problem with them showing a drug habit as a problem...I'm about as non-PC as possible.  But I don't think that it's really part of Holmes' character, was what I was trying to say (probably badly, though).  Sherlock was an independent man before John came into his life...he's not going to fall apart completely when John moves out- it just makes no sense.  What does make sense would be him in disguise.  Basically, I was lamenting how people jump to conclusions

August 1, 2013 7:24 pm  #314

tobeornot221b wrote:

Swanpride wrote:

I don't either...but Sherlock in Disguise makes sense, considering The Empty House.

Sherlock in  disguise even makes sense in "The Adventure of C.A. Milverton":
"...( Sherlock Holmes) sprang to his feet and passed into his bedroom. A little later a rakish young workman, with a goatee beard and a swaggger, lit his clay pipe at the lamp before descending into the street."..."'It was a most necessary step. I am a plumber with a rising business, Escott, by name.'"

YES ^^^^^^ It's nothing to do with drugs or whatever anyone's saying on Twitter. They've just announced the new bad guy is going to be Charles Augustus Magnussen. He's in the last episode and has been seen on set. So they're obviously doing the Charles Augustus Milverton story, which involves Sherlock being in disguise, with facial hair.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

August 1, 2013 7:24 pm  #315

P.S. He gets engaged too.

August 1, 2013 7:26 pm  #316

I love the way she just casually throws these things in but yes, I recall the story now...he uses the poor girl.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 1, 2013 7:35 pm  #317

Watson is suitably outraged over it and Holmes is all just like "yeah yeah whatever, we're gonna go break into his house now and you're not coming with me," and Watson's all like "oh yes I am" *gets out balaclavas and house breaking tools*. And then they hold hands behind a curtain. It's a beautiful moment.

August 1, 2013 7:37 pm  #318

Sob.

August 1, 2013 7:54 pm  #319

Do we know he's even in?

August 1, 2013 8:00 pm  #320

Not for sure. But he's quite an important character in The Empty House so I suppose they will include him one way or the other. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera