BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 30, 2012 7:17 pm  #1

What Dr. Watson should be or not be...

Let me humbly say, that the character of Mister Freeman needs a little spice in the coming events. On the american versions of Dr. Watson he shoots to people, blow things up, fights, jumps, he bleeds, even curses. On this extraordinary serie, of wich I'm in love with, Dr. Watson it's too pacifist, quiet, easy kind, non trouble maker. And his hair cut or maybe is it the way he dresses. Come on, get 'Pissed Off' Dr. Watson.

Constructive critic

by,
Nütek

May 30, 2012 9:04 pm  #2

Re: What Dr. Watson should be or not be...

Hi Nutek! I know what you mean, but I wouldn't want a jumping, bleeding, cursing, blowing things up Dr Watson. That's not the Watson I know from the canon and this version is quite faithful to the original characters.

Besides... he can be a serious kick-ass. He killed the cabbie, remember? 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

May 30, 2012 9:16 pm  #3

And he really thwacked Sherlock when he asked him to punch him! Remember he killed people!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 30, 2012 9:20 pm  #4

Got it... Cool.

by,
Nütek

May 30, 2012 9:44 pm  #5

And he chinned the Chief Superintendant.

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

May 30, 2012 11:19 pm  #6

HAHAHA I love that scene. I love the scenes where they let you fill in the blanks. Like where Dr Watson just looks at the Chief and then he's arrested and you know what happened. Or when Sherlock takes a deep breath in the witness stand, and is then led to a cell, and you know what happened. It's brilliant character stuff.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

May 31, 2012 2:39 am  #7

Well I guess there's a big difference between the Dr Watsons on BBC Sherlock and the American versions and that would be for a very good reason which I shall not harp on about.

Watson is the calming influence on Holmes, the 'ordinary' one who balances out the 'extraordinary'. But both the canon Watson and the BBC Watson are capable of producing rage, violence or whatever is needed WHEN it is needed. He has far more common sense than Sherlock, which is why this combination has worked far better over the decades than having a 'spiced up' Watson.

The stories of Holmes & Watson's adventures/cases are not action movie material, they are thought provoking mysteries and puzzles.
Why do people want to change the beauty and simplicity of these stories?

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

May 31, 2012 5:35 am  #8

Actually I always thought Martin's Watson was pretty kick ass. He doesn't take any messing around, he stands up for Sherlock, he's not afraid to punch people or even kill people when required.

If you really want to see a wimpy Watson watch Nigel Bruce from the Basil Rathbone movies. He's definitely got a lot more bad ass since then. When you say the American Watson, who are you referring to exactly?

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

May 31, 2012 5:45 am  #9

Oh he is certainly more physical, but by no means an 'action man'.
He does what he has to do when he has to do it, but we won't be seeing him blowing things up etc anytime soon, lol.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

May 31, 2012 8:55 pm  #10

kazza474 wrote:

He does what he has to do when he has to do it, but we won't be seeing him blowing things up etc anytime soon, lol.

I think that is one of the strengths of good films--they don't rely on the "glitz" and "excitement" of CGI, pyro-technics, etc., but rather show their characters' strengths/weaknesses through excellent writing, acting and directing. This Watson is a perfect balance between "get the job done" and "normal human behaviour". And, yes, a very faithful representation of Doyle's Watson.

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 1, 2012 4:20 pm  #11

I love the scene in The Hounds (I think) where John yells at Sherlock "No, it's not alright" or something similar when Sherlock goes too far. It's effective because it is unexpected. John usually lets Sherlock gets away with just about anything, which is generally funny what with all the cups of tea he has to make him so when he reacts it is a beautiful thing. BAMF!John rules.

Re Elementary, I don't have high expectations but will give it a look out of sheer curiosity. Who knows, it might actually work.

Last edited by hepzibah (June 1, 2012 4:22 pm)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

June 1, 2012 5:30 pm  #12

He killed someone for him after only knowing him for like 24 hours, that's pretty hardcore!

June 8, 2012 1:44 am  #13

What I'm wondering, is, where is Dr Watson's Medical bag?   Has anyone seen it in these episodes?  I  haven't.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 8, 2012 4:02 am  #14

sherlockskitty wrote:

What I'm wondering, is, where is Dr Watson's Medical bag?   Has anyone seen it in these episodes?  I  haven't.

Good observation, Sherlockskitty!
No medical bag in S1 and 2.
But then, only false doctors and actors of doctors are to be seen with medical instruments like the guy kneeling beneath Sherlock after the fall. He has a stethoscope round his neck. And so does Richard Brook on a photo in his vita.
Carrying NO medical equipment seems to be proof that one is a real doctor. Funny!

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 8, 2012 4:54 am  #15

I've known my doctor for 30 years, he's done house calls once or twice during that time. I've never seen him with a medical bag.
Furthermore he is described as an Army Surgeon at one stage. If that means he performed surgery, you'd hardly carry a bag with you would you?

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 8, 2012 10:27 pm  #16

I have to say that I really love the way Martin Freemen plays and M&G write this current version of Watson. He is clearly his own man. He may be totally awed with Sherlock's intellectual and deductive prowess but he is very laid back about it. In balance to his intellectual deferrence he is quick to needle Sherlock for his eccentricities, his failure to acknowledge his emotional experiences and chastize and school Sherlock over his social gaffes. I adore Martin Freeman's Watson.

I have fond memories of Basil Rathbone, Jeremy Brett and now Benedict as Sherlock but Freeman is the first Watson I have liked. I love Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law in other vehicles but not in these SH roles.

Disguise is always a self portrait

June 8, 2012 11:21 pm  #17

I think Martin Freeman isn't getting all the credit he deserves precisely because he does come off seeming like "a normal guy" when playing Watson.  But that's in contrast to Sherlock, who clearly isn't normal.  But if Watson didn't seem to be an everyday type of guy, then I think it'd be a lot more difficult to appreciate just how different Sherlock really is, because there wouldn't be a regular foil for him to play off of.  It's much more subtle than just pairing two actors who are opposite in a physical way, such as in hair color or height or gender.

And it's a credit to Martin's acting that, although he appears to be "just like us," when he does explode--whether by shooting the cabbie dead, not stopping once he got started hitting Sherlock, or whatever--it seems completely plausible and in character for him to behave that way.  In fact, in his interactions with Mycroft, John shows his disdain and contempt with cutting sarcasm and softly-spoken words instead of lashing out physically.  Which, to me, makes him seem much more dangerous than if he merely ranted and raved at Mycroft because you just know, if John ever did blow up, the explosion would be epic.  But he doesn't need to do that because the dangerousness that is within him--as a soldier, as a loyal friend--is kept under tight control and only released when and if absolutely necessary.  And then it has a much greater effect.

Last edited by Sherli Bakerst (June 8, 2012 11:22 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

June 10, 2012 10:39 am  #18

I'm sure they probably have a medical kit in the flat for emergencies.

June 16, 2012 1:01 pm  #19

I find "pacifist" an interesting choice of words for an ex-army doctor. I don't think he is too easy going, quite the contrary. I rather get the impression that he frequently has to fight an urge to boil over with rage, or even punch people, which is why he feels so comfortable around Sherlock, who always speaks his mind.
His figure is quiet, yes, but that makes it even more effective when he does strike out (verbally or literally).

Last edited by hypergreenfrog (June 16, 2012 1:02 pm)

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

June 16, 2012 1:15 pm  #20

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

I think Martin Freeman isn't getting all the credit he deserves precisely because he does come off seeming like "a normal guy" when playing Watson.

F&%$@ you , he won a Bafta! How much credit do you want him to have? lol

(Don't get upset, it's a joke. )

watch just after  the 1 min mark

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

Board footera