BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 30, 2013 2:10 pm  #1

the psychologist

Have you ever wondered why John went to the same psychologist as he did in "Study in pink"?

I mean she violated professional discretion or rather Johns file wasn't safe with her, Mycroft knew all his problems when they first met in the warehouse. I wouldn't go to the same person after this, whether or not it was her fault that Mycroft knew about all that stuff. And she was partly wrong with her diagnose. like Mycroft said so spot on: "Your therapist thinks it’s post-traumatic stress disorder. She thinks you’re haunted by memories of your military service. Fire her. She’s got it the wrong way round. You’re under stress right now and your hand is perfectly steady.You’re not haunted by the war, Doctor Watson ... you miss it.

...maybe the reason is sentimental because this whole thing started with her somehow or he needed to talk to an professional immediately and didn't want to look for other psychologist
s.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

July 30, 2013 2:33 pm  #2

Re: the psychologist

Ivy wrote:

Have you ever wondered why John went to the same psychologist as he did in "Study in pink"?

Maybe she is the official psychologist who is payed by the army or government if you like. John's PTSD is war related so the army is resposible for his recovery and rehabilitation progress?
That can be the reason why Mycroft was able to get access to her reports. Maybe she has to report about John's healing and progress.

July 30, 2013 6:01 pm  #3

Ivy wrote:

Or maybe they just didn't want to cast a new character those short scenes in TRF?

I also think, from the writer's POV, it makes a nice story arc for seasons 1 & 2 - John starts with going to a therapist, and he ends up going there again. It certainly illustrates the impact Sherlock had on John's life in between.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead." 

"I heard you."

(The Empty Hearse)

July 31, 2013 6:13 am  #4

Mycroft tells him to fire her and you think he'll go and do that?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 31, 2013 6:53 am  #5

Davina wrote:

Nope. Not our John.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 4, 2013 4:18 pm  #6

She's not going to be in it long once John finds Sherlock.

August 4, 2013 4:45 pm  #7

Davina wrote:

Not because Mycroft told him to do so, just because of the fact that these personal information weren't safe with her. Like he would ever do what Mycroft told him, he probably would give him a one finger salute!

Last edited by Ivy (August 4, 2013 4:47 pm)

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

August 4, 2013 4:53 pm  #8

Still has trust issues. She might have been wrong regarding the diagnosis but at least John was familiar with her. He wouldn't let himself confide in a new person - not after THAT. I think.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

Board footera