BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 30, 2013 9:20 pm  #1

Good cause - Fundraiser for Benedict's birthday

After last year's success with the fundraiser for Teenage Cancer Trust this year Cumberbatchweb will organise a fundraiser for Myeloma UK, a charity chosen by Benedict himself. Anyone who wishes to contribute may do this here via JustGiving:

http://www.justgiving.com/Cumberbatchweb1

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 11, 2013 4:02 pm  #2

Re: Good cause - Fundraiser for Benedict's birthday

They have reached already 98% of their target, nearly 5,800 pounds. And there's still over a month to go. I think this is a wonderful opportunity to do some good and give a meaningful present to Benedict at the same time. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 11, 2013 5:08 pm  #3

Wow, this is great. I'm sure it will please Benedict and he will be proud of his fans. 
What a wonderful birthday present.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

June 24, 2013 1:19 pm  #4

This is the current amount of donations: 7.730,74 €
Not bad but last year it was more than 10,000 €. So anyone who's got some change left and wants to to some good for Benedict's birthday - have a go. I'm just wondering a bit that there are only 346 donations so far - and so many Benedict fans. 

June 24, 2013 4:47 pm  #5

I hadn't heard about this... I've just donated too

Just like old times...

July 19, 2013 7:55 am  #6

The fandom has raised the fantastic sum of 13,800 GBP or more than 16,000 Euros so far. 

July 19, 2013 6:16 pm  #7

Even better than last year then!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 19, 2013 6:19 pm  #8

And still going on - more than 14,000 GBP by now. 

July 29, 2013 4:29 am  #9

Hey guys!  This whole thing was a really sweet gesture/cause for them to pull fans into.  Apparently they got more than 15,000.  Wow...   o.o   Also, a little thank-you message from Ben!  (mentioned on their site here  http://www.benedictcumberbatch.co.uk/2013/07/25/thank-you-message-from-benedict-cumberbatch/)

Dear Fans

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for donating to this most wonderful cause. I cannot express how deeply moved I am by your generosity and this most wonderful outcome of you being my fans. I couldn’t ask for a better present from better fans.

Although I did receive hundreds! And hundreds and hundreds!! Cards, paintings, foods, clothes, cups, fans, bags and hundreds and hundreds of amazing letters and messages of love and best wishes for a happy birthday. Your YouTube videos and twitter messages that got through to me were also incredibly touching. I’m soo grateful to all those people who gave me those presents and cards and those messages.

And it may be cheeky after such efforts and generosity… but could I make a request? Could you please put the time and energy, money and effort you put into those gifts, cards and messages to me into doing good for someone else? I am of course taking my inspiration from fans who donated to Myeloma UK. But it doesn’t have to be money, perhaps it’s just a bit of your time or a simple gesture of kindness… anyway if it makes me sound ungrateful for what you gave me please forgive my rudeness. I simply think if the number of people who threw love my way did so to people that need it far more than me, that would be a wonderful feeling for us all to have on my birthday. I had such an amazing day and weekend to celebrate an extraordinary year and with great excitement about what the future holds. Many, many thanks to you wherever you are in the world. I hope you all have a great year too.

All my love

Benedict

X

(so sweet as usual... and obviously good advice for passing kindness along)

Last edited by Russell (July 29, 2013 4:31 am)

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

July 29, 2013 10:15 am  #10

Thanks for posting this, russell. I had missed that message and was actually wondering if Ben had said anything about all this. I'm glad we've raised that much for such a good cause, and what a sweet message from Ben. Just makes me love him more, if that was ever possible.

Just like old times...

July 29, 2013 7:31 pm  #11

What a truly lovely person he is.   

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera