BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 28, 2013 4:46 am  #1

Pictures of Sherlock statue in Edinburgh + Conan Doyle pub

Ok, so my trip to Edinburgh was awesome! Even the fact the airline lost my luggage during our halt in Birmingham and that I got it back only two days later (meaning buying soap, toothbrush and all again, washing my clothes each evening with shower gel, and sleeping with my bro's Jimi Hendrix T shirt, lol) hasn't been enough to spoil the mood.

The weather was hot (way too hot actually!) and sunny, and god, what a beautiful city!

Anyway, while I was there, I thought of you, Sherlocked fellows, and took these pictures

Oh, and I found this! A little Sherlock to hang in your Christmas tree, so cute!

Last edited by Punch me in the face (July 28, 2013 4:47 am)

Just like old times...

July 28, 2013 2:02 pm  #2

Re: Pictures of Sherlock statue in Edinburgh + Conan Doyle pub

Nice photos, Punch.  Thanks for posting.  Glad you are having a good time on your trip.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

July 28, 2013 2:16 pm  #3

Great photos! Glad you had such a good time. Yes it has been boiling! Shame  about the luggage- been there!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 28, 2013 5:36 pm  #4

Auld Reekie eh?

I have a friend with a house not 5 minutes from there.

Did you take in any galleries or do any tours?

You lucked out on your timing 3 more days and the Fringe starts - it all gets a bit messy around August.

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

July 28, 2013 6:36 pm  #5

Thank you all

@m0r: lucky friend then! What a pleasant city, wouldn't mind living there at all! (well, ok, pretty much any city is prettier than mine lol. But Edinburgh's truly awesome!)

Yeah, I've heard about Fringe and there even was a Fringe shop in the city center. But we only spent a couple of days there, couldn't stay longer because my bro was leaving for Nepal the day after we came back to France, and my son was at my mum's, he'd never been away from me and was starting to ask for me sooooo...

We did:

* visit the castle
* visit the town (obviously)
* go to Sherlock statue & Conan Doyle pub (well, I dragged my bro more like, didn't really give him a choice, lol)
* go to a musical called "Dreamboats & Petticoats"
* visit the "Camera Obscura" museum (that was terrific! loved it! had great fun there)
* go to that hill where the National Monument of Scotland stands (that kind of half replica of the Parthenon)
* take the ghost tour and visit the vaults and Greyfriars churchyard by night (that one http://www.cityofthedeadtours.com/the-double-dead-walk/ )

Well, that was great

Just like old times...

July 28, 2013 8:36 pm  #6

You did a lot in Edinburgh then Punch, it is an excellent city to visit.

If you can ever find yourself going back, I'd highly recommend going on April 30th for the Beltan festival.

Here's a Google search of the images, it's a superb affair and is family friendly (There is painted topless nudity though, mentioned in case that offends).

Truly a Wicker Man kind of affair 

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

July 29, 2013 10:38 am  #7

Looks like a giant prehistorical orgy

Nah, just kidding  It looks a bit weird but then I dunno the story behind this, soooooo... (and i've never seen Wicker man lol) . Still it looks fun!

Thanks for the advice

Just like old times...

July 29, 2013 5:17 pm  #8

Very nice!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

July 30, 2013 7:48 am  #9

Love the photos! Thanks for sharing.

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

August 8, 2013 7:48 am  #10

you're welcome!
Thanks!

Just like old times...

August 8, 2013 7:50 am  #11

How nice, thanks for sharing! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

August 8, 2013 7:54 am  #12

I was there on Saturday.
Paid homage to the statue...which is not long replaced!
And lunched at the pub, which I oftern do,
I'm fortunate to live not too far from Edinburgh.
In fact I'm back there this Saturday.
Punch me, did you not go to the Surgeon's Hall?
It has a Conan Doyle/Sherlock exhibition.

Last edited by besleybean (August 8, 2013 7:55 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 8, 2013 6:16 pm  #13

Ah no, shame, didn't know about that exhibition, and we had only 3 full days there

I was already happy to succeed in dragging my bro to the statue and the pub (he couldn't care less about Sherlock or ACD soooo...)

Lucky you! Edinburgh's so beautiful! Wish I lived in Scotland rather than in my ugly town in the north of France... well...

When I was at uni (which was... err... already a long time ago, well 12 - 10 years ago) I studied to become a French teacher for foreign people, not because I liked it but just because I needed an excuse to move to the UK  but then I met my husband (who was French) and I stayed in France instead. And now he's dead but with a kid, a house here and all, it would now be too difficult to move to UK... But I must admit that I was all dreamy while in Edinburgh.. thinking "what it would be like to live in Scotland?". Aww well...

Just like old times...

August 8, 2013 6:19 pm  #14

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 9, 2013 8:49 pm  #15

Really nice photos! This has sparked my interest of visiting Edinburgh. Maybe some day, perhaps.

Last edited by DitzyDamnDaffy (August 9, 2013 8:49 pm)

"Partita No. 1. Thank you, Johann Sebastian Bach."

August 11, 2013 2:56 pm  #16

Ditzy you really need to go there, it's an amazing town!

Besley: shame, looks like I really missed something there Would have loved to see ACD's notebook...

Just like old times...

August 11, 2013 2:59 pm  #17

My pal took my pic by the statue yesterday,  but informed me she choppd off Sherlock's head!

August 11, 2013 3:03 pm  #18

sorry... but this made me burst into laugh

like "hey, this is me and a beheaded Sherlock" lol

Just like old times...

October 14, 2013 2:10 am  #19

Great photos. I loved the violin with Doyle's name. I wonder if it's original (his).
Thanks for posting.

David Thomas
SunPharm
Assoc. VP

Board footera