BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 17, 2012 11:24 pm  #1

The Good Night

I couldn't find a thread so thought I make one.  Got my husband to watch aSiB last night and afterwards we talked a lot about it. So when I went to sleep I had Sherlock and John on the brain (as usual).  At around 2:00 AM I woke up coughing because I'm getting over a little cold.  So as not to wake hubby, I went downstairs and turned on the TV until the cough syrup kicked in.  I flipped to the movie stations and suddenly saw what looked like the back of Martin Freeman on the screen. It was!  I think I'd know him anywhere now.  One of the Encore stations was showing 'The Good Night' and I had come in in the middle of it.  I had never seen this movie before - and I was so happy to have Martin in my living room at 2:00 AM I couldn't possibly have gone back to sleep. 

Even though this film did not get much critical acclaim in 2007, I was totally mesmerized by it.  I thought Martin was simply lovely in it as Gary Sheller and I ached with empathy for his character - a man with his career on the wane, a non-fulfilling relationship, who then gets caught up in the fantasy of his dreams until it all begins to unravel on him. And my goodness, I don't think there was a scene that Martin wasn't in.  What an accomplishment.  I hope they paid him a lot of money. He deserves it.

I recommend seeing this. It might not be to everyone's taste but I found it fascinating and thought-provoking. I'm still under it's spell today.  And for us john fans who are also looking for a 'fix' during the hiatus - in this film, he wears John-type sweaters a lot and we see him in boxers and tee shirts, and what was really cool, was a Sherlock scarf with his winter coat. Lovely gold-brown hair too - entirely lovable. I taped it and am looking forward to watching it again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

August 19, 2012 9:15 pm  #2

Re: The Good Night

Thanks for posting your thoughts, KeepersPrice!

I've seen quite a few stills from The Good Night on various web sites, and Martin Freeman looks almost like a different character in every one of them, so I'm definitely intrigued -- yet I'm hesitant to buy/watch it.  Let me explain, and maybe you can shed some light on the matter.

This rarely happens, but if a movie is going to leave me wishing I hadn't seen it, I'd really rather not watch it in the first place.  I particularly hate it when I'm loving a movie and becoming very fond of a character, only to see him needlessly crushed at the end.  I'm not saying that I don't like sad endings (e.g., even if Sherlock had actually died saving his friends, I would still have loved "Reichenbach").  It's the cleverly-ironic-but-basically-meaningless twists of fate that I hate. (I make a point of staying in the theater until all the credits have rolled, but I actually got up to leave Reuben, Reuben during the movie itself, once I saw what the ending was going to be.)

Some of the customer reviews of The Good Night attempt to comment on the ending without giving it away, and the resulting ambiguity ends up sounding like this movie could be one that I'd wish I hadn't seen.  I know you can't tell me whether or not I'll like it, and I'm certainly not asking you to spoil the ending for others who may read this thread, but any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Carol the Dabbler (August 24, 2012 4:31 am)

August 24, 2012 3:47 am  #3

Hi Carol, sorry I didn't spot your post earlier.  I will try to answer as best I can about this film for you.  It is sad and definitely has a dark side.  Martin's character is an 'every man' who has hit a mid-life crisis and his life has become very unfulfilled.  His long time live in girlfriend is just dreadful and it seems like he takes a lot of emotional abuse from her, the same from his friends.  When he begins to dream about this beautiful, sexy woman it's because he needs something in his life that's exciting and wonderful.  It's supposed to be funny that his dreams keep getting interrupted night after night just before they get to the 'good part' (if you know what I mean) but it really was sad to me. I wanted him to have some happiness.  When he finally does get to meet this sexy woman in real life (she's a model), she treats him poorly.  I can tell you right now you won't like the ending.  At first you think everything is okay but then you realize, no, it's not okay. And the very, very end is highly ambiguous.  From your statements about 'meaningless twists of fate' and the character being 'needlessly crushed' - this is not a movie for you because that is exactly what happens.  I loved Martin in this and adored seeing him on screen just about every second; but my heart ached for his character.   Sorry I can't recommend it for you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 24, 2012 5:00 am  #4

No problem, KeepersPrice.  Upon further thought, my earlier post may make me sound more "cowardly" than I actually am -- and even if not, my curiosity about this movie is starting to get the better of me.  Thank you for the warning, so I can brace myself, at least!

I'm currently partway through Nightwatching, which is on the whole not a happy movie either, but am glad to be watching it.  (And I used to think "Reichenbach" was intense!)  I'm gradually realizing that a strong performance from Martin Freeman can more than make up for a movie's not otherwise being entirely my cup of tea.  He's the only actor whose work I've ever followed in large part because of his acting as such (with other actors, it's more because of the sort of things they tend to be in).

Once I've succumbed to the temptation to buy this DVD, I'll come back and let you know what I thought of it!

September 25, 2012 4:32 pm  #5

I bought the DVD, I watched it -- and I really liked it!  I may stop just short of saying I loved it, but I would certainly watch it again (in fact, I already have).  And my husband enjoyed it.

I too found the movie fascinating and thought-provoking.  For example, what significant difference is there between Gary's preoccupation with his dream life, and another person's preoccupation with, say, spectator sports or soap operas or internet chat rooms -- or Sherlock?  Am I (like the Everly Brothers) "dreaming my life away"?

The plot was strong enough that Freeman's performance didn't need to "make up" for anything -- but I do consider this one of his best.  The subtle emotions that play across his face are just wonderful.  (I swear, the man could do an entire movie without uttering a word, and still turn in a powerful performance.)

And the rest of the cast was very good.  Danny DeVito particularly impressed me, since I found his character rather endearing, as opposed to his usual (nicely done) obnoxious persona -- of course, he's obnoxious here too, but we're allowed to see behind that mask.  And I must mention Amanda Abbington, who was nicely wistful as "Vivian Jesson, Gary's first girlfriend."  Oddly, the role was uncredited, though Abbington did get "very special thanks" at the end.

As for the feared ending, I actually found it intriguing.  As opposed to the ending of Reuben, Reuben (where I felt that the movie had set me up for a nasty "gotcha!"), The Good Night's ending seemed perfectly fitting, in a cockeyed sort of way.  At this point, I am going to get specific, so I am issuing a

* * * *  S P O I L E R    A L E R T  ! ! !   * * * *

It seems to me that everybody got what they really wanted.  Mel has his best-seller, of course (though I still don't understand quite what that has to do with Gary -- inspiration, perhaps?)  Dora has a Gary who doesn't annoy her.  And Gary, after realizing that the perfect Anna was nothing but a figment of his imagination, has "grown up" sufficiently to find happiness with a somewhat-less-idealized version of a woman who actually knows and loves him -- plus there's always the hope that he may wake up, and may have learned enough to really work things out with Dora.

And "Happy Talk" cued in just perfectly!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* * * *  Please continue to be wary of spoilers below!   * * * *
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Last edited by Carol the Dabbler (October 6, 2012 3:14 am)

October 5, 2012 12:09 pm  #6

I just watched this film and OMFG I did not see that ending coming. Which is why, I guess, I adore British drama. US drama is so darn predictable. But...I literally jumped when ...that... happened. You know what I'm talking about.

Still, as Carol said, it seems everyone ended up with what they wanted; including Gary. But damn!

Last edited by Wholocked (October 5, 2012 12:10 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

October 5, 2012 2:13 pm  #7

I jumped the second time, too.  Bit overdone, perhaps, ... that ... ?

October 5, 2012 5:44 pm  #8

I guess I will have to watch again as I didn't really see a happy ending there - although it gave the appearance. 

*Spoiler Alert* 

Re the 'happy' ending: Weren't all the people being interviewed at the beginning of the movie talking about Gary in the past tense?  And didn't the very last scene of the girlfriend at his bedside show a flatline monitor beside him?  Just because the music playing at the end is "Happy Talk", does that really mean things are happy - or could it be more of an ironic comment?  Personally I think Gary didn't find happiness until he was dead.  But I could be wrong - the movie often moved between reality and fantasy. I'll try to watch it again this weekend.  I've still got "Nightwatching" to watch too.

October 6, 2012 4:01 am  #9

****  Continue Spoiler Alert!  ****

No, I wouldn't call the ending "happy" either, KeepersPrice, certainly not in a tra-la-la sense.  But, like I said, I found the ending "perfectly fitting, in a cockeyed sort of way."

The interviewees use mixed tenses when referring to Gary, and I think that's intentional.  His life has obviously changed drastically, so they tend to use the past tense when talking about how he used to be, and the present tense when talking about how he is now (though they may not be completely consistent, and it's definitely confusing).

I actually borrowed the "maybe he'll wake up" idea from the director-writer's audio commentary.  I didn't look closely at the hospital monitor, but if it does indeed show a flat line, that was a major continuity error.  Going by the commentary, Gary was intended to be alive but unconscious, dreaming happily about his recent decision to reconcile with Dora.

So, to sum up, my take is that Gary's attempt to patch things up with Dora outside the gallery is supposed to be real, as is the accident.  The scene on the lawn outside the dream house (where he once more chooses Dora over Anna) is of course a dream.  And finally, the few seconds in the hospital room is again real.  My sense about the use of "Happy Talk" is that it signifies Gary's feelings in the dream.

Nightwatching also has ambiguities for me, by the way, some of which I've posted on that thread (actually, I made a discussion/spoiler thread, in order to leave the regular Nightwatching thread for spoiler-free stuff).  Would love some discussion of that movie -- as well as more on this one!

Last edited by Carol the Dabbler (October 6, 2012 4:04 am)

October 6, 2012 6:58 am  #10

Not having seen the film, yet, but would the use of Happy Talk also be specifically because it is about having a dream and making a dream come true? It says that in the song's lyrics.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 15, 2012 2:58 am  #11

You're right, Davina.  In fact, toward the end of the movie, someone quoted that part of the lyrics (I think it was Jarvis Cocker, who was playing himself).

I just ran across an interview where Martin Freeman discusses being in this movie.  Regarding the ending, he says:

The ending is one of the reasons I wanted to do it. When I got to the last page [of the script], I thought it was great way to finish it—sort of, unresolved. It could have been a lot happier. I like knowing that it’s enough for him to keep dreaming.

Random thoughts:

It seems like the people in Gary's everyday life (Dora and Paul) are taller than him, whereas the people associated with his new dream life (Anna and Mel) are shorter.  (It would have been an interesting touch if Penelope Cruz had worn lifts when she played the real-life Melodia.)

While we were listening to the commentary, my husband and I realized that we have been in the room where Dora's dream Van Gogh exhibit takes place.  It's the Painted Hall at the Old Royal Naval College in Greenwich.  We had just ducked in there to get out of the pouring rain on our way to the observatory, but then noticed what a beautiful room we were in.  Our photo didn't turn out well, so here's Wikipedia's (which unfortunately seems to have been taken from the other end of the room than the movie's pov.)

Last edited by Carol the Dabbler (October 15, 2012 3:11 am)

July 28, 2013 6:29 pm  #12

Just watched.  Thoughtful and sad.  Martin is just lovely.  Aching and funn and quietly sexy.

Will ponder this one for a while.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

Board footera