BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 16, 2013 10:10 am  #221

Re: Recently watched movies.

Saw the Lone Ranger earlier this afternoon, was a very fun movie.

------------------------------------------
There's no shortcut to a dream. It's all blood and sweat and life is what you manage in between.

July 16, 2013 11:57 am  #222

Hotel Transylvania A friend of mine has been begging me to watch it for some time now and I didn't know why, but it was kinda funny indeed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You look sad when you think he can't see you."

July 17, 2013 9:14 pm  #223

Saw 'Despicable Me 2' last week. Very funny !

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

July 22, 2013 7:37 am  #224

Saw Primal Fear yesterday, absolutely marvelous.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

July 22, 2013 7:48 am  #225

So having missed it in the theater, I finally got around to Life of Pi the other day.  Wow.
It's been at the top of my 'need to watch when I have a good night for it' list for a while, a little hyped by what looked like a seriously beautiful and thoughtful film, and all the buzz I heard as well.   Many other people here see it yet?   Thoughts?

From all the comments I heard, I don't know… it was as beautiful and intriguing/eyebrow-raising in parts as I thought would be, but for all the people warning to 'bring tissues', well…. felt a little 'tugged' when he talked about his father and some of the 'quieter' moments between him and the tiger, but that's it…. maybe we all just get nudged by things in different ways.  And with what kind of perspective to take with the interesting mix of spirituality and logical reason.   But the mood and cinematography/effect and performance was amazing.  Anyone else enjoy?   

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

July 22, 2013 6:56 pm  #226

The Lucky One. Liked it better than I thought I would!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You look sad when you think he can't see you."

July 22, 2013 9:26 pm  #227

I loved The Life of Pi, both the film and the book. The colours in the film were positively visceral!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 23, 2013 9:25 pm  #228

Davina wrote:

I loved The Life of Pi, both the film and the book. The colours in the film were positively visceral!

Oh, goodness, yes....   Pretty much every shot had me noticing how much emphasis they put into color and light! 

My book club was considering reading it at one point ages back, and read some pages, but we ended up doing something else instead and with everything else I was looking at, somehow never got back to it.  You loved it just as much, you say?  I'm the type that loves to hear about little people/production trivia after I see something, which IMDB is great for.  Found out that in a few shots, to quote from the trivia page, 'include the profile view of a supine Vishnu (the sleeping Hindu God seen in the barge). He appears in the distant hills when Pi is on holiday and visits the church to drink the holy water. He appears in clouds on a dark night at sea. He is in the shape of the Marinas Trench on the oceanic map. He is also the island in profile.'   Huh...  now -that's- a neat, deep connection imagery to put in.  Gonna have to watch again to observe...  ;)

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

July 24, 2013 6:27 am  #229

I'll have to look at that stuff on IMDB and watch it again!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 24, 2013 5:46 pm  #230

Davina wrote:

I'll have to look at that stuff on IMDB and watch it again!

Cool...  definitely.  I know IMDB is pretty well-known by now as a great info resource, but just curious if you ever frequented it much before?  For figuring out 'who' and 'what' info, it's great, but loving movies and all the details, like I said, I really enjoy using it to read the trivia!  Sometimes the 'goofs' section can be pretty interesting, too....  ;)

August 11, 2013 9:10 pm  #231

Watching Les Miserables (2012 film) right now

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

August 11, 2013 9:16 pm  #232

The last movie I watched was X-Men. I watched The Dark Knight before that too.

"Partita No. 1. Thank you, Johann Sebastian Bach."

August 16, 2013 9:45 am  #233

The Incredible Hulk.

I'm finally putting up with the Marvel's Universe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

September 20, 2013 10:29 pm  #234

I watched Jane Eyre 2011 again today. Wow! Just wow! If you haven't seen this then you really, really should! Wonderful!   

September 21, 2013 6:55 am  #235

Uh, my list of recently watched movies is getting longer.

Iron Man 1 & 2
Thor
The Avengers 
Captain America
The Amazing Spider-Man
Third Star
The Dark Knight Rises
Star Trek: Into Darkness
Batman Begins

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

September 21, 2013 7:18 am  #236

I've only seen 2 of those and Third Star would be my fave.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 21, 2013 10:33 am  #237

There are so many great films but if someone would ask me about my favorite movie, then Third Star would be my immediate answer.

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

September 21, 2013 6:14 pm  #238

Davina wrote:

I watched Jane Eyre 2011 again today. Wow! Just wow! If you haven't seen this then you really, really should! Wonderful!

I love the Jane Eyre story, have read the book multiple times and have seen many movie/tv adaptations of it. That version is pretty good, quite beautiful and Michael Fassbender is a fabulous Rochester for sure . My all time favourite version is this one though; http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780362/
I absolutely love it!!! 

Last edited by SilverMoonDragonB (September 21, 2013 6:14 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------

September 22, 2013 7:51 pm  #239

The cinematography is stunning. I agree with Michael Fassbender's  Rochester but I thought Mia Wasikowska and Dame Judi Dench were wonderful as well. A very Gothic version. 

September 23, 2013 9:18 pm  #240

I don't remember what thread I saw the question on but someone seemed to think that it is cannon that Spock is a decendant of Sherlock Holmes. I am currently watching Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country. In it Spock says, "An ancestor of mine maintained that if you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"I may be on the side of the angels,
but don't think for one second that I am one of them."

Board footera