BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 22, 2013 1:54 pm  #161

Re: Series 3 discussion SPOILER THREAD!!! WARNING!!! SPOILERS!!!

I haven't read or seen many spoilers, but the ones I have seen either don't make sense or are ridiculous: The moustache, the big blue air bag, the refilming of the fall sequence, the tie-wearing, the guards, the best man audio is too much...
The more spoilers I see the more I think that series 3 will develope Sherlock into a very different animal. 

I am not worried about the ending of series 3 as long as they do a fourth one. Soon.

July 22, 2013 2:08 pm  #162

I think there'll be a 4th, but not soon.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 22, 2013 2:19 pm  #163

Be wrote:

I haven't read or seen many spoilers, but the ones I have seen either don't make sense or are ridiculous: The moustache, the big blue air bag, the refilming of the fall sequence, the tie-wearing, the guards, the best man audio is too much...
The more spoilers I see the more I think that series 3 will develope Sherlock into a very different animal. 

I am not worried about the ending of series 3 as long as they do a fourth one. Soon.

It all makes sense in context.  And series 3 will be very different.  It has to be.  John moves on without Sherlock, and their relationship changes.  So yes, it is a different animal.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

July 22, 2013 2:27 pm  #164

besleybean wrote:

Tho a bit of human realism would be nice.
Real life male friends are much more demonstrably affectionate towards each other, than Sherlock and John  are.
Canon Holmes and Watson are much more physically affectionate with each other than our boys.

They probably would be, except that Sherlock literally doesn't get it.  John can't really joke around with him about sports or something.  Their friendship is very different- sort of like police partners.  They've been through a lot together, and they care about each very much, but they maintain a professional relationship.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.

July 22, 2013 2:37 pm  #165

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Haha, I have to say I was impressed by the amount of people who inundated me for spoiler requests. Well done guys. None of you have any self control anymore.

I learned my lesson back in Harry Potter--I avoided spoilers for book 6, then once I got it felt possessed to get through it RIDICULOUSLY fast to find out what was going to happen...and within a month I'd forgotten every subtlety of character and plot that I had glanced my eyes over in the feverish once-through. It was like I'd just lost the whole book, but I knew what Horrific OMG Evil Scary Thing happened at the end and who did it.

So for book 7 I read spoilers, knew before I started who was going to live and who was going to not make it to the end, and then I read the book. I thoroughly enjoyed it, I was able to immerse myelf in it, I wept when said characters expired, I cheered when the final victory occurred, I was able to really read it.

Since then, I fully recognize myself as a person for whom knowing "spoilers" doesn't spoil a damn thing. :-) So thank you.

"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking, but usually it's subtext."

July 22, 2013 2:40 pm  #166

besleybean wrote:

Tho a bit of human realism would be nice.
Real life male friends are much more demonstrably affectionate towards each other, than Sherlock and John  are.
Canon Holmes and Watson are much more physically affectionate with each other than our boys.

Yeah, but--remember this series takes place as they are younger; the events even of Series 2, and certainly it appears of Series 3, are the kinds of things which I can see bringing them forward into time and becoming the middle-aged guys we know from the stories.

MY worry, if I have one, is that our younger guys are (to me) much more interesting and fun than the grownup Holmes and Watson in the books, whom I sometimes find sort of insuffrable. I hope they are able to keep the edge.

(BTW, re the audio, y'all know the hug thing has been debunked, right? There is no hug. Knowing that made it MUCH better for me.)

"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking, but usually it's subtext."

July 22, 2013 2:44 pm  #167

I'm hoping for at least one hug, somewhere in the series. They're best friends and best friends should hug!

Moving the Johnlock thing aside for a moment, they do love each other and they should definitely hug!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

July 22, 2013 3:25 pm  #168

kittykat wrote:

I'm hoping for at least one hug, somewhere in the series. They're best friends and best friends should hug!

Moving the Johnlock thing aside for a moment, they do love each other and they should definitely hug!

Okay, I don't want to venture into ticking anyone off here, because I'm genuinely delighted--but I love hearing this from y'all on the other side of the Pond. The generalization about the British over here in the States, and especially British men, is this sense of hugely emotionally repressed non-demonstrative emotional incompetence. (Reinforced by characters like Ron Weasley and Sherlock and Hugh Grant in Bridget Jones and doubtless a few more I can't call to mind right now...) (Remember when Hermione accused Ron of having "the emotional range of a teaspoon"? Loved that line...) The whole "you are tremendously important to me and I assumed you knew because of course I would never tell you" thing. So hearing people say, "best friends should hug, no way are guys as nondemonstrative as these two" helps burst a big generalization bubble for this Midwesterner, and thank you. :-)

That said, I always assumed "no one could be such an annoying dick all the time" was as close as John and Sherlock would get to overt expression of affection, so hearing "you are my best friend" out of John's mouth is practically a bear hug. I think they may just express things differently. And hopefully there is room to grow.

July 22, 2013 3:31 pm  #169

Can't wait to see that clip, I hear the look on Sherlock's face when he realises what John is saying is priceless! Apparently he just freezes there for a good five minutes! That's comedy gold right there!

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

July 22, 2013 4:05 pm  #170

Did they say when Series 3 will air?

July 22, 2013 4:40 pm  #171

Still saying end of 2013/beginning of 2014.

July 22, 2013 4:44 pm  #172

sj4iy wrote:

Still saying end of 2013/beginning of 2014.

So we will be in "All I want for Christmas/Skip Christmas" mode. Again...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 22, 2013 5:03 pm  #173

tobeornot221b wrote:

So we will be in "All I want for Christmas/Skip Christmas" mode. Again...

YEAH!  ...(again)

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

July 22, 2013 5:10 pm  #174

I like starting my new year with Sherlock.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 22, 2013 7:18 pm  #175

6 months to wait..an eternity!

---------------------------------------
Enjoy the silence
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

July 22, 2013 7:42 pm  #176

So we in the UK will get it this year? Yay!

July 22, 2013 7:44 pm  #177

Could be January.

July 22, 2013 7:54 pm  #178

Could be sooner

July 22, 2013 8:18 pm  #179

Titania wrote:

6 months to wait..an eternity!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

July 22, 2013 9:43 pm  #180

Could cancel Xmas permanently for me.
But as I say, I like New Year Sherlock.

Board footera