BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 18, 2013 3:11 pm  #1

Emmy nomination

Benedict has been nominated for an Emmy for "Parade's End" (well deserved after the BAFTA slight), but sadly the series (DA got one ) and Rebecca Hall missed out. 
PE has received five nominations: best actor, writing, costume design, cinematography, and music composition. 

Last edited by SusiGo (July 18, 2013 3:24 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 18, 2013 3:15 pm  #2

Re: Emmy nomination

..and to watch the Emmies from Germany, you need to have the pay-TV channel TNT. (Lucky me, yes, yes, yes!)

See here:
http://www.dwdl.de/nachrichten/41683/emmyverleihung_gibts_wieder_bei_tnt_zu_sehen/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

July 18, 2013 3:22 pm  #3

I'll come over and bring some beer. Or champagne.  

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 18, 2013 3:26 pm  #4

I was really angry about the Sherlock slight at the Emmys last time (ASIB definitely deserved to win that, but popular American shows are always given preference at the Emmies).  "Parade's End" probably has a better chance, though, since anything that is a period piece, involves a love triangle and has a war in it will probably be considered "deep enough" for the Emmys.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

July 18, 2013 3:27 pm  #5

Great idea! It's from Sunday to Monday night (22th to 23th September). Guess that means lots of silent work for my pupils that Monday! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 18, 2013 3:29 pm  #6

Or you show them the pilot. Or do they know it already?

July 18, 2013 3:31 pm  #7

No, we just got through Sherlock before the holidays.

July 18, 2013 8:22 pm  #8

Didn't realize he was in anything else.  I'll have to check this out when I get a chance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 18, 2013 8:33 pm  #9

Sherlock84 wrote:

Didn't realize he was in anything else.  I'll have to check this out when I get a chance.

Yes, you will have to. Seriously, Parade's End is just great. 

Susi, which show do you mean when you say DA? 
Unfortunately I can't watch the emmys live so I guess an upload on youtube will have to do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

July 18, 2013 8:36 pm  #10

Sorry, it's "Downton Abbey". 

July 18, 2013 8:55 pm  #11

Ah, Downtown Abbey. Heard of it, never watched it. I suppose you might not think high of it, Susi. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

July 18, 2013 9:02 pm  #12

I watched the first series of Downton so I could compare it to PE. It's nice and entertaining but IMO lacking the depth and intelligence of PE. And the actors in PE are better (although Maggie Smith is as wonderful as ever). A friend of mine lent me the second series so I'm going to watch this as well (and keep making comparisons I suppose). 

July 19, 2013 1:13 am  #13

Seriously hoping HBO will repeat PE now with the nomminations.  I missed it first go around.

I know.  Maybe I can put my laptop in front of the TV and Skype the Emmys to all of you ladies overseas!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 19, 2013 5:27 am  #14

This is wonderful news indeed and well deserved anyway! 
Though I am a bit sorry, that there is no nomination for Rebecca Hall and the series in general, but well, one can't have it all, I guess.

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

July 19, 2013 6:09 am  #15

Great idea, Tonnaree! We'd love to see it even if the competition is very hard for Benedict. 

Yes, I'm sorry about Rebecca and the series in general, it would have been well deserved. But then she had a BAFTA nomination. 

July 19, 2013 6:16 am  #16

Downtown Abbey is a costumed soap opera! I am disappointed that the nominations for UK programmes for the Emmy's seem to require prancing around in some kind of historical costume. Parades's End was good. I too thought Rebecca Hall was worthy of a nomination but who knows what's going on in those funny little brains!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 19, 2013 6:20 am  #17

Well said, Davina. A bit like candy floss. Looks big and tastes nice but has no substance. And the aristocrats are all too good to be true.  

July 19, 2013 7:08 am  #18

I just came across this awesome little quick telephone interview with Ben about his Emmy nod, admiring the other nominees, Sherlock, his dad, Parade's End, and a friend's wedding.  Still completely and utterly charmingly funny and cute...   

http://www.vulture.com/2013/07/benedict-cumberbatch-emmy-nomination-interview.html

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

Board footera