BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 26, 2013 6:03 pm  #1

Super Freaky episode to me( read on and find out why)

When I first watched this episode it scared the heck out of me!!!!!!! Cause when I was in kindergarten, my music teacher put on Peter and the Wolf, cause it's a great music piece. I loved the music, but the skulking black dog scared me so bad! I mean, I could watch that now, it's just a silly cartoon! But that fear of black monster hounds with glowing red eyes has stayed with me ever since, so when I watch Hounds, it was horrible! But I did really love some parts in it, like the smoking scenes, and the part where Sherlock was talking to that guy about the hound and put that bet to John that the hound wasn't real. Did anyone else find this episode as scary as I did?

Last edited by OneMoreMiracle (June 26, 2013 6:34 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I'm not a hero. I'm a high functioning sociapath! MERRY CHRISTMAS!"

~Sherlock Holmes, His Last Vow

"Hello, little brother. Enjoying your exile?"

"I've only been gone four minutes!"

~Mycroft and Sherlock Holmes, His Last Vow

June 27, 2013 12:13 am  #2

Re: Super Freaky episode to me( read on and find out why)

OneMoreMiracle wrote:

. Did anyone else find this episode as scary as I did?

My daughter might have (if she watched Sherlock) because she was terrified of "The Nothing" in 'The Never Ending Story".  It was portrayed as a snarling wolf type creature and she would have nightmares and end up in my bed.  When she went to 1st grade and I found out her teacher was named Mrs. Wolff  I was a little worried, but my daughter handled it well and ended up loving that teacher. 

I wasn't too scared when I watched 'Hound" except for the part when the backyard lights were flashing on and off.  That really startled me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

June 27, 2013 9:54 am  #3

For me Hounds is a scary episode because at the beginning I thought "boring" like Sherlock did when he was told Henry's story. There is no ghost dog of course.

But when Sherlock saw the Hound it changes into a symbol for individual fear everybody can relate to. John gets to see his Hound in the lab, too. A different one, compared with Henry's, I suppose because Sherlock changed the stimulus to verify it.

For Sherlock his Hound is doubting himself. The line between reality and fiction gets transparent. For me that is where it gets really haunting. When you think you can't trust the evidence of your own eyes. When you see things or hear things that are not supposed to be there. Sherlock starts to question the picture he has made of his deductive abilities and already suspects that he is mistaken.

In TRF this feeling that somebody else pulls the strings continues untill Sherlock lays the ghost when he faces Moriarty.

As if the character in a book written by somebody else becomes self-aware and cuts the strings or kills God.

Last edited by Be (June 27, 2013 1:26 pm)

June 27, 2013 11:03 am  #4

Mark Gatiss will be so pleased if he knew how much he had managed to scare you. He is a massive fanboy of the horror genre.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 27, 2013 12:23 pm  #5

Davina wrote:

Mark Gatiss will be so pleased if he knew how much he had managed to scare you. He is a massive fanboy of the horror genre.

There is nothing wrong with me. 

Four be the things I'd been better without: Love, curiosity, freckles and doubt. - Dorothy Parker

June 27, 2013 4:08 pm  #6

I found it scary and thrilling. I was really crapping it when John is locked in the lab, totally felt for him. I also shit myself at the backyard scene, ffs you know it's coming but when it hits the window...

"He will outlive God trying to have the last word."

June 27, 2013 5:40 pm  #7

KeepersPrice wrote:

I wasn't too scared when I watched 'Hound" except for the part when the backyard lights were flashing on and off.  That really startled me.

Oh, I hated that part too! That's why I'm so glad I don't have motion lights at my house!

June 27, 2013 5:41 pm  #8

Davina wrote:

Well, I'm happy I would be able to please him that way. ;)

June 27, 2013 10:49 pm  #9

Loved the parts at 221B in the beginning, but the rest was very scary the first time I watched it. The scene with John alone in the lab, I was freaked out! And the backyard lights scene with Henry was scary. And that hound near the end in the Hollow, that was super scary!

Good episode, though. My favourite part is the scene in the graveyard (I've just got one). Very sweet 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

June 28, 2013 7:02 am  #10

I completely misread your last post kitty and thought you had just got a graveyard! 

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 28, 2013 12:08 pm  #11

Davina wrote:

I completely misread your last post kitty and thought you had just got a graveyard!

Oops! I meant the conversation between Sherlock and John

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

June 28, 2013 3:08 pm  #12

KeepersPrice wrote:

OneMoreMiracle wrote:

. Did anyone else find this episode as scary as I did?

My daughter might have (if she watched Sherlock) because she was terrified of "The Nothing" in 'The Never Ending Story".  It was portrayed as a snarling wolf type creature and she would have nightmares and end up in my bed.  When she went to 1st grade and I found out her teacher was named Mrs. Wolff  I was a little worried, but my daughter handled it well and ended up loving that teacher. 

I wonder if the back yard lights were in fact flashing on and off - which I found very startling - or if that was another hallucination.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beware of dragons for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup

Dr. Horribles sing along blog
You people all have to learn
This world is going to burn
Burn
(yeah, it’s two r’s. H, O, R, R, yeah right.)
Burn

July 16, 2013 10:30 pm  #13

I'm really happy because me and my mom are working together to "desensitize" me so I won't be freaked out by it anymore, do we decided that I would watch it again including all the parts I didn't like with the sound up. (I was born with a hearing condition that makes me hear everything louder then they actually are, so the howling and snarling really got to me too.) And it worked!!!!! So now I can watch it without getting scared. Well, maybe I'm scared a little. But it's a really good start.

July 17, 2013 8:14 pm  #14

When the lights are flashing on and off in Henry's yard,  is that happening or hallucinations?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beware of dragons for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup

Dr. Horribles sing along blog
You people all have to learn
This world is going to burn
Burn
(yeah, it’s two r’s. H, O, R, R, yeah right.)
Burn

July 17, 2013 8:20 pm  #15

butterfly grl wrote:

When the lights are flashing on and off in Henry's yard, is that happening or hallucinations?

I think the flashing is triggered by a motion detector. The reason could be the Cross Key's guys dog that lurks round the house.

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 18, 2013 7:56 am  #16

It could just be a fox or cat in his garden setting off the lights.

July 18, 2013 6:33 pm  #17

I always thought it´s Bob Frankland trying to make him crazy. It´s said somewherein the episode that he tried that but they don´t reveal how.

July 18, 2013 6:40 pm  #18

It scared me the first time, and then it made me laugh.  It would ranks as my fifth favorite episode, but that doesn't mean it's not good...it's actually brilliantly written.  But it's more filler and relationship building than actually moving the story along.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

July 18, 2013 10:29 pm  #19

sj4iy wrote:

It scared me the first time, and then it made me laugh.  It would ranks as my fifth favorite episode, but that doesn't mean it's not good...it's actually brilliantly written.  But it's more filler and relationship building than actually moving the story along.

Yeah, it's my fifth favorite episode too--but that's because the four ahead of it are SO bloody brilliant! (I'm guessing The Blind Banker is your #6 too?) When I first read your comment I was like, "No way, it's awesome, how can it...wait...hang on...yep, fifth out of sixth, that's about right."

I also marked it down because I was sitting there in Sherlock's freak-out going, "D'oh, you idiots, he's been drugged with something, if the smartest man in the universe and the bloody doctor can't at least have it cross their mind--DOOFUS!" (Okay, the word "doofus" hadn't come up yet, but I think Moriarty nailed it there.) 

"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking, but usually it's subtext."

Board footera