BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 7, 2013 6:24 pm  #1

The Following

Is anyone watching this new series? I missed the first couple of episodes because I couldn't find it on SKY search (I made the heinous mistake of typing The and the stupid thing didn't show it! Apparently, I should only type in Following) So i am now making sure I record the rest. It has one of my favourite actors, James Purefoy, in it.

I like the premise, which I have to say does suggest something of a Moriarty feel to it. A professor being the centre of a criminal web, and all that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 14, 2013 11:02 pm  #2

Re: The Following

Wow! They have started repeats of this in the US and UK. I watched the first episode tonight (I missed it the first time round) and it was fan-blooming-tastic. Violent- yes but brilliantly acted. The story line is complex, the characters and how they interlink well constructed. Kevin Bacon is great, as is James Purefoy. Their final scene together in this episode is electric! The connection to Edgar Allan Poe is genius and so well researched. The only, slightly, weird thing is that, because I joined the series a few episodes along and have seen it to the end I know more than I should do about some of the characters. I will be surprised- I.e. shocked- if this series is not nominated for an Emmy!

Compared with formulaic, bland series like Elementary this is like a breath of fresh air although it is extremely challenging in its subject matter and the way in which it is conveyed.

I confess that I literally jumped out of my skin at least 4 times during this episode and there were several occasions when I reverted to my 6 year-old self watching Doctor Who from behind my hands (I didn't actually hide behind the sofa this time , although I was tempted!)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 15, 2013 1:44 am  #3

I watched this from the beginning when it first aired and it is brilliant. I'm not one for gore and usually would steer clear but I do make exceptions if what I'm watching is worth it. This show certainly is.

I wonder if another season has the green light or not?

He does love to be dramatic.
Well, thank god you're above all that!

June 15, 2013 7:34 am  #4

It does indeed! 

July 18, 2013 7:59 pm  #5

Not a single Emmy Nomination??? But bloody Downton Abbey??? Are they actually kidding???

Board footera