BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 15, 2013 7:13 am  #1

Best thing about Sherlock

Okay, I have been critical about the series sometimes, but this is going to be a positive topic ;)

What is your favorite thing about the Sherlock series?

For me it is the character of Mycroft, a cold hearted man, but with a strong sense of justice. These are the people that actually rule the world. I found the story of 'he actually is the British government' more believable this way than the way Mycroft is depicted in the Canon.

Also 'all lives end, caring is not an advantage' is my favorite quote from Sherlock.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

July 15, 2013 7:14 am  #2

Re: Best thing about Sherlock

I think this is the wrong place for this topic ;) It should be in the general discussion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 15, 2013 1:38 pm  #3

I love the writing.  To me, that's what makes it Sherlock Holmes...it's clever, funny, thrilling, and the characters fit together perfectly.  Personally, I hear a lot about "oh Moffatt screwed that up", but I don't see anything like that at all.  The clues are there, and they work out beautifully almost every time.  The only exception was the end of TBB...it was just ridiculous.  Everything else, though, is superb.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

July 15, 2013 2:13 pm  #4

For me, the best thing is that the show is very open for interpretation.

What I mean is that many people can watch the same scene and perceive it completely different. Take your example, Jacco. I never considered Mycroft cold hearted, rather the opposite. But the character is written and played so ambivalently that we could argue for hours without convincing the other one.

The nature of the relationship between Sherlock and John or Sherlock and Irene is just another example for it.

I am sure that it is done on purpose and IMO proves the genius of the creators and everyone involved.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

July 15, 2013 2:25 pm  #5

I absolutely agree with you, Schmiezi. And I love the dialogues, they're so brilliant that I keep thinking I'd love to be able to write something like this. Just think of the many, many quotes we love, that characterize the persons so well. 
And there's of course the acting. This isn't just a randomly assembled group of actors, it's a real ensemble, a sort of family in which everyone manages to coax their co-stars to deliver their best possible performances. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 15, 2013 3:42 pm  #6

The characters, everyone is interesting in their own way and I'd say Moffat creates them in such way so that no-one is completely superfluous.
Acting, all actors plays their roles very well, especially Benedict whose role is not so easy to play, and I actually can't accuse anyone of poor acting skills.
Plot of episodes, dialogues, all twists in the plot, everything which makes episodes interesting and causes us to brood intensively about them (and also to make our theories like about Sherlock's fall).
Music! I like the soundtrack so much, even my ringtone is Sherlock's theme from the opening

Last edited by Deilenn (July 15, 2013 3:43 pm)

The Road goes ever on and on...

July 15, 2013 3:47 pm  #7

SOOOOO many things. Really hard to pinpoint ONE best thing about Sherlock. If I had to though...I'd say the writing.

I'll always remember the first time I watched Reichenbach. I wasn't sat there crying or thinking "how the heck did he fake it"...that all came later...I was sat there thinking "this is the cleverest, most wonderfully constructed, beautifully written piece of television I have ever seen on British TV."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 15, 2013 4:44 pm  #8

Not to repeat what already was written (to which I agree mostly), I adore Paul, the most amazing director ever. His sense for balance, beauty and symmetry is visible to me in every shot. Not to mention his impecable taste in wallpaper. 

July 15, 2013 6:32 pm  #9

The best thing about Sherlock? Honestly? It's the fandom. 

It's all true, the show is intelligent and has great dialogues, the writing is fantastic, the actors are great, the characters do have so many facades and the most brilliant thing about the show is the fact, that there is no limit for interpretation.
But still, if it wasn't for the overly excited fandom, I would have lost my interest in the show a long time ago. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

July 15, 2013 6:39 pm  #10

Nice reactions all, I agree with some, and have different opinions about others, but I think that we can all agree on the fact that Sherlock is one of the best television series of the past 10 years.

July 15, 2013 7:26 pm  #11

I consider Sherlock to be the best tv series ever. I have 2 very close second and third places but Sherlock beats them both and I've loved the other shows for years. I'm very new to Sherlock but it is just wonderful x

He does love to be dramatic.
Well, thank god you're above all that!

July 15, 2013 11:31 pm  #12

Great casting. Great shots. Great stories. I could go on forever.
I think what I really enjoy is that it creates such passion in so many people. It draws you in and makes you think. I love that there is a huge community of people discussing the episodes and characters.
It's one of those shows that you can watch over and over and see something different each time.

================================================================

July 16, 2013 2:50 pm  #13

nicbooful wrote:

I consider Sherlock to be the best tv series ever. I have 2 very close second and third places but Sherlock beats them both and I've loved the other shows for years. I'm very new to Sherlock but it is just wonderful x

What about the Jeremy Brett series then?

July 17, 2013 12:15 am  #14

sj4iy wrote:

I love the writing.  To me, that's what makes it Sherlock Holmes...it's clever, funny, thrilling, and the characters fit together perfectly.  Personally, I hear a lot about "oh Moffatt screwed that up", but I don't see anything like that at all.  The clues are there, and they work out beautifully almost every time.  The only exception was the end of TBB...it was just ridiculous.  Everything else, though, is superb.

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

SOOOOO many things. Really hard to pinpoint ONE best thing about Sherlock. If I had to though...I'd say the writing.

I'll always remember the first time I watched Reichenbach. I wasn't sat there crying or thinking "how the heck did he fake it"...that all came later...I was sat there thinking "this is the cleverest, most wonderfully constructed, beautifully written piece of television I have ever seen on British TV."

These pretty much.  I was looking at SiB(For the umpteenth time) the other day and took a particular interest in the complexity, execution, and overall original style in which the script was written.

Honestly one of the best written tv series of all time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 24, 2013 6:11 am  #15

Well, personnally, I like the series because everything is so subtle in it, and so witty : the sense of humor, the references, the characters relationships, the plot, the colours, the images, the graphics ( I'm not sure I'm using the right words, there ), the atmosphere ...

Not a fan.

November 1, 2013 12:48 am  #16

The love and acceptance among characters. Although they have very different personalities, they remain togeher somehow. I mean, Sherlock and Watson don't have many things  in common but, they need to each other and they have become friends, they have a true friendship.
Also, I like the cinematography, the images, the colours, as many of you have already said. that's fantastic. The quality of images is amazing!!!
and Sherlock, of course. I love the fact that he lives the life he has decided to live!! he's not going to change it,despite the bad comments coming from people, and that's so difficult to do nowadays!!! he's really brave!!  

Last edited by spanisherlock (November 1, 2013 12:55 am)

The begining of a great adventure!!!

Board footera