BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 13, 2013 7:21 pm  #1

Who is your favourite canon character?

Except for Holmes, Watson, Mycroft, Lestrade, Moriarty and Mrs Hudson. Basically, who is your favourite minor/less obvious character?

A personal favourite of mine is John McMurdo from Valley of Fear. The man's a complete bad ass and definitely one of my heroes!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

May 13, 2013 11:25 pm  #2

Re: Who is your favourite canon character?

Young Stamford!  Without him introducing Watson to Holmes where would we be?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We solve crimes, I blog about it and he forgets his pants, so I wouldn’t hold out too much hope. (Scandal in Belgravia)

I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead..........I heard you.(The Empty Hearse)

May 14, 2013 1:06 am  #3

Morton wrote:

Young Stamford!  Without him introducing Watson to Holmes where would we be?

I was touched to see the placque in the Criterion that honourably mentions Stamford as "he led Dr. John H. Watson to immortality... and Sherlock Holmes"... indeed!

May 14, 2013 3:31 pm  #4

I always liked Jefferson Hope from, "A Study in Scarlet", for his tenacity in revenging the deaths of Lucy and her father.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

May 14, 2013 5:56 pm  #5

Killer Evans from The Three Garridebs for obvious reasons

May 14, 2013 7:18 pm  #6

But they're bad guys! *gasp*

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

May 14, 2013 7:23 pm  #7

Every fairy tale needs a good villain! 

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 15, 2013 8:23 am  #8

I read The Sign of the Four recently and I like Thaddeus Sholto. He is the suspect in the murder case, but innocent. He was the person who sent the perls to Mary.
He is beautifully written. He is totally out of place in London with his oriental background.
His character is well done and he is funny.

I wonder whether we get a character like him in the future.

May 15, 2013 1:29 pm  #9

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Well, technically, Jefferson Hope was a good guy who, in bad-guy-like fashion, decides to take justice into his own hands. It's hard to blame him, really. Kind of a "man on fire" type of guy. I could see Russell Crowe playing him in a true canon adaptation of the story.

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 5, 2013 12:02 pm  #10

When I was a little boy, I liked Wiggins from the Bakerstreet irregulars.

Now I would say, probably mr. Frankland, from Lafter Hall. A briliant version of the stubborn, eccentric Englishman. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

June 5, 2013 12:16 pm  #11

Tantalus wrote:

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Well, technically, Jefferson Hope was a good guy who, in bad-guy-like fashion, decides to take justice into his own hands. It's hard to blame him, really. Kind of a "man on fire" type of guy. I could see Russell Crowe playing him in a true canon adaptation of the story.

I like your "on fire" quote. What do you think, what is the connection between Study in Pink and Reichenbach and what is Sherlock's role? I thing TRF is a kind of true canon adaptation of A Study in Scarlet. IMO, Sherlock made Moriarty chose between two alternatives: Losing the game and winning/dying.

June 22, 2013 7:28 pm  #12

Tantalus wrote:

Russell Crowe? :o) I see why you would want him to play this character. He would certainly do it justice with the needed amount of depth and skill for this role.
Imho he would not be physically appropriate in casting. In my mind I have seen the character more like a 'Clint Eastwood' type. ;o)

Well, my favourite character in a supporting role is... Victor Hatherley, the hydraulic engineer from 'The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb'.

(Perhaps the idea of the thumbs in Sherlock's fridge was coming from this story?!)

Last edited by reality check (June 22, 2013 7:29 pm)

In my life I have found two things of priceless worth - learning and loving. Nothing else - not fame, not power, not achievement for its own sake - can possible have the same lasting value. For when your life is over, if you can say 'I have learned' and 'I have loved', you will also be able to say 'I have been happy'.
~ Arthur C. Clarke ~

June 27, 2013 7:53 pm  #13

Jefferson Hope is a great character indeed. His personality a contrast with Holmes' cool, calculating personality but deep down they share the same sense of justice.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

July 15, 2013 12:23 am  #14

I love John McMurdo from Valley of Fear

------------------------------------------------------------------
-Mystie Holmes

When you walk with Sherlock Holmes you see the battlefield.-M.H.

Are you ready for the story?-J.M. xx

Pray give my greetings to Mrs. Watson, and believe me to be, my dear fellow, 
Very sincerely yours,
Sherlock Holmes

December 28, 2013 3:11 pm  #15

Stapleton from The Hound of The Baskervilles.

One of the best antagonists in the Canon.

B2B.

January 26, 2014 8:16 pm  #16

Jacco111 wrote:

Jefferson Hope is a great character indeed. His personality a contrast with Holmes' cool, calculating personality but deep down they share the same sense of justice.

And he's very respectful of Holmes' abilities even though Holmes used those abilities to thwart him.

I actually like the canon's Irene Adler...I was glad to see in our Book Club thread about SCAN, other poster's here realized that she was wronged by the King, not the other way around. I like to think Holmes realized that, too. I posted a LOT in that thread.

@ The Doctor  - what's the Criterion? I agree, it's funny we never saw Stamford again.

I liked Godfrey and James of Blanched Solider. Two guys who are very attached to each other, who, at least one of their families seems to be trying to keep apart. Holmes helps one find the other. He works the case alone and admits to missing Watson. You can bet he identified with his clients' relationship! I confess, if Moffit and Gattis were to use that story, I would love for them to have Godfrey and James as actually a couple, facing disapproval of their relationship from family.

And I also like Stanley Hopkins, a "rising star" of Scotland Yard, who, unlike some of the official force, admires Holmes and lets it show. He's assumed by many slash-minded readers to have "a thing" for Holmes. Sometimes Watson is shown to be jealous; sometimes he likes the idea that other men want what he has.

Interestingly, Holmes is far more complimentary of HIS abilities than Holmes is toward most of the Yard...but ultimately, I think Hopkins ends up needing Holmes' help as much as the rest.

Board footera