BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 13, 2013 7:20 pm  #1

Have you read the complete Sherlock Holmes canon?

I'm just wondering who all out there has read the complete canon of Sherlock Holmes? 

Last edited by 221BBakerStreet_ (July 13, 2013 7:22 pm)

Have you read the canon of Sherlock Holmes?

------------------------------------------------------------------
-Mystie Holmes

When you walk with Sherlock Holmes you see the battlefield.-M.H.

Are you ready for the story?-J.M. xx

Pray give my greetings to Mrs. Watson, and believe me to be, my dear fellow, 
Very sincerely yours,
Sherlock Holmes

July 13, 2013 7:22 pm  #2

Re: Have you read the complete Sherlock Holmes canon?

I have read it, all of it, last summer. I have avoided it at school and uni, but watching Sherlock convinced me to give it a try.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

July 13, 2013 7:24 pm  #3

Schmiezi wrote:

I have read it, all of it, last summer. I have avoided it at school and uni, but watching Sherlock convinced me to give it a try.

Awesome!!! Yeah I got in trouble once for reading Sherlock during class

Last edited by 221BBakerStreet_ (July 13, 2013 7:25 pm)

-Mystie Holmes

Very sincerely yours,
Sherlock Holmes

July 13, 2013 7:36 pm  #4

221BBakerStreet_ wrote:

There are some really weird teachers out there...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 13, 2013 7:38 pm  #5

Schmiezi wrote:

221BBakerStreet_ wrote:

There are some really weird teachers out there...

Well I didn't get in trouble for actual bringing Sherlock to class just for not paying attention 

-Mystie Holmes

Very sincerely yours,
Sherlock Holmes

July 13, 2013 7:44 pm  #6

I just imagine myself praising my pupil for not paying attention because she was reading Sherlock Holmes... Jep, I would.

Reading twilight would be a completely different matter and would probably lead to detention.

July 13, 2013 7:46 pm  #7

Schmiezi wrote:

I just imagine myself praising my pupil for not paying attention because she was reading Sherlock Holmes... Jep, I would.

Reading twilight would be a completely different matter and would probably lead to detention.

Me too, I'd see the student reading Sherlock and I'd give them a thumbs up. With twilight I'd prob grab the book and throw it in the trash 

Last edited by 221BBakerStreet_ (July 13, 2013 7:47 pm)

-Mystie Holmes

Very sincerely yours,
Sherlock Holmes

July 13, 2013 7:53 pm  #8

I never read any before I watched this show but it has compelled me to do so because I just want more Sherlock in my life now. I've always loved classic novels but never felt interested in ACD before now.

I first watched Sherlock 2 months ago. Since then I've read:

A Study in Scarlett
The Sign of the Four
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - I finished this today.

I'm starting on The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes tomorrow. I aim to read all ACD Holmes stories.

He does love to be dramatic.
Well, thank god you're above all that!

July 13, 2013 7:54 pm  #9

nicbooful wrote:

I never read any before I watched this show but it has compelled me to do so because I just want more Sherlock in my life now. I've always loved classic novels but never felt interested in ACD before now.

I first watched Sherlock 2 months ago. Since then I've read:

A Study in Scarlett
The Sign of the Four
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - I finished this today.

I'm starting on The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes tomorrow. I aim to read all ACD Holmes stories.

Awesome!!!!!!!! 

-Mystie Holmes

Very sincerely yours,
Sherlock Holmes

July 13, 2013 9:35 pm  #10

Yes, twice. Once fifteen or twenty years ago, and another time this year. Sometimes I re-read particular stories or bits of stories to prepare for quizzes.

July 13, 2013 10:05 pm  #11

biscuitbear wrote:

Yes, twice. Once fifteen or twenty years ago, and another time this year. Sometimes I re-read particular stories or bits of stories to prepare for quizzes.

That's so awesome!!!!!!!

-Mystie Holmes

Very sincerely yours,
Sherlock Holmes

July 14, 2013 8:31 am  #12

Before watching Sherlock, I'd only read The Hound of the Baskervilles. But after I got addicted to the show, I was dying to catch all those subtle references to the canon stories, so the next day I bought "The complete SH stories, volume I and II" and spent several weeks devouring all the stories

And I keep re-reading them now all the time. Apart from the fact that I really like the style and the mysteries, I think the short stories are ideal for a short reading in between, or on my daily commute.

Does anyone know the book "The curious incident of the dog in the night-time"? I had read that before SH and didn't even know the title was a Sherlock-quote from "Silver Blaze"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead." 

"I heard you."

(The Empty Hearse)

July 14, 2013 8:35 am  #13

SherlockianDE wrote:

Does anyone know the book "The curious incident of the dog in the night-time"? I had read that before SH and didn't even know the title was a Sherlock-quote from "Silver Blaze"

That quote as a whole had been my signature here when I was new to the forum. I love it. What is the book about?

July 14, 2013 8:36 am  #14

SherlockianDE wrote:

Before watching Sherlock, I'd only read The Hound of the Baskervilles. But after I got addicted to the show, I was dying to catch all those subtle references to the canon stories, so the next day I bought "The complete SH stories, volume I and II" and spent several weeks devouring all the stories

And I keep re-reading them now all the time. Apart from the fact that I really like the style and the mysteries, I think the short stories are ideal for a short reading in between, or on my daily commute.

That's awesome!!! I haven't heard of the story through

-Mystie Holmes

Very sincerely yours,
Sherlock Holmes

July 14, 2013 10:03 am  #15

Schmiezi wrote:

That quote as a whole had been my signature here when I was new to the forum. I love it. What is the book about?

It's written from the POV of an autistic teenage boy, who one morning finds the neigbor's dog murdered on the front lawn. As he's a big fan of Sherlock Holmes, he decides to act like a detective and try and solve this "murder case". And while doing that, he finds out a big secret about his family which basically changes many things in his life...

I think the book illustrates quite well how autistic people see the world, and why they "act strange" lots of times and all that. So if you're a little bit interested in this area (I know that many fans also see Sherlock as being somewhat autistic), then I definitely recommend reading that book.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead." 

"I heard you."

(The Empty Hearse)

July 14, 2013 10:45 am  #16

I've read all novels and stories a few months ago. We (me and my sister who has read them too) borrowed the book from my sister's friend; it was in one thick book which inlcudes all (4) novels and (56) stories about Sherlock Holmes, at least it was said on the front cover there were all stories, so I think I've read them all and there's no story somewhere else I missed  

The Road goes ever on and on...

July 14, 2013 7:57 pm  #17

Deilenn wrote:

I've read all novels and stories a few months ago. We (me and my sister who has read them too) borrowed the book from my sister's friend; it was in one thick book which inlcudes all (4) novels and (56) stories about Sherlock Holmes, at least it was said on the front cover there were all stories, so I think I've read them all and there's no story somewhere else I missed  

Awesome!!!!!!!!

-Mystie Holmes

Very sincerely yours,
Sherlock Holmes

July 15, 2013 2:45 am  #18

Wow, some of you....  I must sheepishly admit I neither grew up with the stories or read them for school or devoured all at once, like some fans seem to after 're-discovering'...  (I know, right?  Especially after hearing Mark talk here and there about devouring them when younger and growing up with that kind of thing... must have been nice), although I must have been introduced to just a couple here and there in different forms, one or two of the 'classic' episodes, and the general gist of it from being ingrained in culture. 

To answer 221B's question, I'm more like a lot of people, that always enjoyed that kind of thing, but never picked up the canon until seeing the show sparked up my interest again.  Now I'm (slowly) working my way through the last couple of the story collections, having started at the beginning last summer because I wanted to know what they were like, and been intermixed with various other series and pastiches got addicted to as well.  ;)  I'm thinking would be nice to time it to wrap up the current few books I'm on to get back to the next collection waiting for me, 'His Last Bow', soon before the show returns, to get plunked back into the feel of it again, and brushed up on even more adventures and references by that point...   

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

July 15, 2013 3:37 am  #19

I've read some. I've got most of them on my bookshelf waiting for my attention. I've also read The  Lost World which I really enjoyed. I hadn't read any at school or as a child so while I'm sure I would have looked at them eventually the show really inspired me to pick them up sooner, thankfully!
Such great stories!

================================================================

July 15, 2013 3:51 am  #20

Russell wrote:

Wow, some of you.... I must sheepishly admit I neither grew up with the stories or read them for school or devoured all at once, like some fans seem to after 're-discovering'... (I know, right? Especially after hearing Mark talk here and there about devouring them when younger and growing up with that kind of thing... must have been nice), although I must have been introduced to just a couple here and there in different forms, one or two of the 'classic' episodes, and the general gist of it from being ingrained in culture.

To answer 221B's question, I'm more like a lot of people, that always enjoyed that kind of thing, but never picked up the canon until seeing the show sparked up my interest again. Now I'm (slowly) working my way through the last couple of the story collections, having started at the beginning last summer because I wanted to know what they were like, and been intermixed with various other series and pastiches got addicted to as well. ;) I'm thinking would be nice to time it to wrap up the current few books I'm on to get back to the next collection waiting for me, 'His Last Bow', soon before the show returns, to get plunked back into the feel of it again, and brushed up on even more adventures and references by that point...

Yeah it took me a couple months to read them, I wish I had taken my time with it through. They are brilliant books and I wanted to finish them before the school year ended  

-Mystie Holmes

Very sincerely yours,
Sherlock Holmes

Board footera