BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 26, 2013 8:33 am  #61

Re: Tea

The tea in Japanese restaurants might be jasmine tea. We have that in Chinese restaurants here too.

Visit Harrods, Selfridges and Fortnum and Mason even if you don't buy anything as they are quite an experience. The Tower of London has a nice gift shop as do the museums and art galleries.

Just had a cup of raspberry and echinacea.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 26, 2013 8:17 pm  #62

I like PG Tips - strong with a splash of milk

or Bubble Tea when in Chinatown... and love Black Russian tea too. 

------------------------------------------------
Twenty-something Sherlockian with Whovian traits of a Christopher Eccleston kind. 

March 26, 2013 8:50 pm  #63

I love green tea and every kind of fruit tea except citrus ones.

ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ᴥส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

May 16, 2013 9:38 pm  #64

My house is full of very expensive and rare tea, handmade teapots, tetsubin and tea ceremony accessories, both Chinese and Japanese, as my deceased husband was a tea lover.

See the Blind Baker? The way Soo Lin Yao takes care of the teapots and all? Polish them, place them on a kind of wooden tray etc etc? Well, he did exactly the same with his.

And the tea isn't tea you find in little bags, or perfumed tea, it's "pure" tea, from different types: wulong, pu-erh, bao zhong...etc (or, sencha, macha , genmaicha... the japanese ones)

Some are more than 30 years and cost a fortune, several euros each gram.

He had amazingly beautiful handmade Japanese bowls with beautiful colours, or a 500€ tetsubin (it's a handmade japanese cast iron kettle) , a dozen of little chinese clay teapots, handmade cups...

The worst thing is that I only drink a few teas myself (mostly wulong ones) and I hate pu-erh while it was his favourite type of tea so he had many of them, for thousands of euros, and I can't even tell their name of age as it is written in Chinese, and I can't recognize them, I'm far from being the "expert" he was...

Anyway, I could never get rid of them...

And the tea accessories are so beautiful... Aww...

Just like old times...

July 11, 2013 5:53 pm  #65

Hey guys!
So I was never much of a cultivated tea (or even coffee) drinker to appreciate all the vast kinds out there and traditions with, but agree the drink itself, and age-old practice of it is quite easy to appreciate.  I did a quick search, and only came across a couple mentions of Adagio just in passing in here as a place to get good stuff, but I wasn't sure if the tea-lovers out there knew about the many more Sherlock varieties (-teas?  ;)) they carried over here:  http://www.adagio.com/sherlock/
(some of the same makers even did ones for doctor who, star trek, cabin pressure, and more!  http://www.adagio.com/signature_blend/fandoms.html)

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

July 11, 2013 6:10 pm  #66

I like white, green and black teas, but I don't like the ones that smell (and taste) like perfume.  My friend's favorite tea is jasmine, and I can't stand it.  I love english breakfast and scottish breakfast, white teas of all kinds (but no mint), and green tea and matcha (not the same thing).  I try to buy loose leaf, because I think you get more flavor that way, but I usually drink my breakfast teas from bags (I do have some excellent loose-leaf earl grey, though).

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

July 11, 2013 9:25 pm  #67

As a girl raised in the southern United States I was weaned  and raised on iced tea.  For good ice tea you need a good black tea and you best make it strong.  Also being southern for me it must be sweet and have a lemon slice floating in the top.

Now, that said, I do also love a nice hot cuppa.  Bigelow's Lemon Lift got me through many a college over night study session.  These days my preference is Earl Grey or Irish Breakfast with 2 sugers.  

Last edited by tonnaree (July 11, 2013 9:26 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 12, 2013 7:16 am  #68

I have changed from ordinary tea or coffee first thing in the morning to: Raspberry and Echinacea tea. It tastes nice and I am sure it helped me fight off a nasty sore throat really quickly last week. Everyone else has been struck down far worse!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 12, 2013 11:27 am  #69

tonnaree wrote:

As a girl raised in the southern United States I was weaned  and raised on iced tea.  For good ice tea you need a good black tea and you best make it strong.  Also being southern for me it must be sweet and have a lemon slice floating in the top.

Now, that said, I do also love a nice hot cuppa.  Bigelow's Lemon Lift got me through many a college over night study session.  These days my preference is Earl Grey or Irish Breakfast with 2 sugers.  

I grew up in the south, too, but I rarely drink sweet tea.  My husband prefers unsweetened tea (for health reasons), and I prefer other types of tea.  And really, very few restaurants know how to do it the right way (too bitter or too sweet).  I will, however, always drink some at my grandma's house, because she does it just right

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

July 12, 2013 11:44 am  #70

Hello everyone! It is just under a month before we leave for Europe! Tea is going to be a big thing for me now for two reasons: 1. I am sure I will not like coffee in Europe. I drink very weak coffee. According to my husband it is not much more than dirty dish water! LOL 
2. I have quit smoking and frankly a cup of coffee (regardless of strength) seems rather pointless without a smoke, so I have quit coffee as well I guess.

For me tea should be sweet if it is flavored or unsweatened if it is like green tea, or black tea or white tea without added flavor such as lemon, or fruity or whatever.

New question that is related - sort of. I have recently begun juicing. (That is extracting the juice out of fruits and veggies - awful looking stuff actually) Can you get that sort of thing easily when visiting? I have become kind of addicted. This is the first time in my life that I have actually felt an abundance of energy and I would rather not go without. Somehow I don't think packing my juicer would work very well! LOL

"I may be on the side of the angels,
but don't think for one second that I am one of them."

September 25, 2014 1:57 pm  #71

I love ordinary tea. I love tea, I find soothing and calm especially when I feel sad or tired.

"The name's Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221B Baker Street."

September 25, 2014 2:34 pm  #72

I am in love with Chai Latte... I have a cocoa one and a Lemon grass with ginger. Gorgeous!

But I also love green tea with lemon. I try to stay away from black tea as I don't like the after taste of it and it stains the cups too...
I can't find it anymore but I used to buy chamomile tea with different tastes... that was gorgeous!

I don't like my tea too strong though... for some reason. I always insist on making my own brew.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

Board footera