BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 7, 2013 9:40 pm  #21

Re: What are your fall theories? [WITH SPOILERS!!!!!]

sj4iy wrote:

nicbooful wrote:

I did think about them filming false leads and not having the budget for it and it seems unlikely they would set up a whole scenario again just to do that. But, what if they did need to film something, therefore would already be set up to film anyway, then filmed extra scenes just to fool us? It is very far fetched but not impossible.

Your theory fits best with what I believe and you have added parts to it I hadn't thought of before. It's driving.me up the wall not knowing.

I am about to post a few comments on theories already stated.

Yay  That's really all I'm trying to do here, because like others, I definitely don't know exactly what happened...I'm just trying to construct a narrative based on what I initially thought happened (Sherlock landed on something and pretended to be dead) and then what I saw during filming.  I'm glad that I can start a dialogue about it, though :D

I'd be shocked if anyone got it completely right but we can only speculate. It will be so much fun finding out what parts we got right, and wrong, though!

He does love to be dramatic.
Well, thank god you're above all that!

July 8, 2013 1:29 am  #22

sj4iy wrote:

Okay, so, now that's over, onto the theories.  Here is my theory (with pics and videos for support)!  What do you think?

I think you need to explain why Moriarty is wearing Sherlock's coat and is on such friendly terms with Mycroft outside Bart's.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: you cannot prove anything with setlock.  As I said on the page I posted here, I find the pictures support my theory more than, or as much as, yours. It just depends on how you interpret the pictures. Besides, Moffat/Vertue are messing with us, quite obviously. 

Of course there is an airbag, of course he gets helped off, the viewpoint from the helmetcam will tell us nothing but that there is an airbag, not where it is or who is falling onto it.

Your theory makes no sense to me. (This doesn't mean it's wrong necessarily, Moffat is fine with things not being sustainable in reality) but the question I have is:

IF Sherlock falls from the corner where John is looking and lands on an airbag at the Point of Impact, why do they need a dead body dressed as Sherlock to be lying on the POI when John comes around the corner?  Why not just have Sherlock lie down as they drag away the airbag?  They can still hit John with the bike to finish up the blood and so forth. 

So, let's pretend the production needed a double at the POI for some reason.  That would support my theory.  That it wasn't Sherlock John watched fall.  That Sherlock got to the ground elsewhere. That he had to hide nearby to get to the POI asap for blood-dressing and before John got up.

All these pictures can be interpreted to support either theory and probably some other ones.

BUT - the real point, I think, is that Moffat said we have all the information on screen to figure out how it was done.  Long before they started shooting S3E1, we had the information from the show, from what we all have already seen.

And that's why we really don't need a setlock thread.  We need to figure out what we've seen and then what we have not observed. 

Last edited by MysteriaSleuthbedder (July 8, 2013 1:33 am)

July 8, 2013 1:38 am  #23

I already said that it's either a joke or a flashback.  It doesn't fit into anything concerning the fall, as far as how Sherlock survives.

They need the body because Sherlock needs a moment to get ready, and he won't have long enough before John rounds the corner.

It's Sherlock falling...nothing else explains the flailing of arms.  Sherlock's on the roof, then he's on the ground.  Hard to do that unless he takes the quick way down.  No one else is going to take his place, and a dummy or dead body won't move organically.

We do have all of the information to figure it out.  That's why I said that Sherlock jumps down on something because it all fits.

And we don't have a setlock thread...we have a spoiler thread that combines what what we think with what we saw in order to support our theories.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

July 8, 2013 7:37 am  #24

I love that shot of Mark and Andrew.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 8, 2013 11:01 am  #25

How do we know that the people transporting the air bag around the corner or whatever aren't part of the BBC Sherlock production crew/team just moving it out of shot?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 8, 2013 11:53 am  #26

My thoughts entirely.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 8, 2013 12:13 pm  #27

Spoiler photographs can be intensely misleading.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 8, 2013 12:39 pm  #28

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

How do we know that the people transporting the air bag around the corner or whatever aren't part of the BBC Sherlock production crew/team just moving it out of shot?

I am, of course, also not sure what setlock spoilers really reveal. But I have seen some shots or film clips, where you could see the whole posse running with that inflatable thing while being filmed. With them in the group was that fake doctor also carrying that bag. And I don´t think he has two jobs in one time (being actor and set assistant) . So that together seems to me as if it´s an actual scene and not only the production crew removing something.

Last edited by anjaH_alias (July 8, 2013 12:45 pm)

July 8, 2013 1:03 pm  #29

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

I could kick myself for not thinking of that sooner! Ha x

July 8, 2013 1:05 pm  #30

anjaH_alias wrote:

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

I am, of course, also not sure what setlock spoilers really reveal. But I have seen some shots or film clips, where you could see the whole posse running with that inflatable thing while being filmed. With them in the group was that fake doctor also carrying that bag. And I don´t think he has two jobs in one time (being actor and set assistant) . So that together seems to me as if it´s an actual scene and not only the production crew removing something.

But I do know of another show where some of the production crew became extras for very minor cameo roles. It's not impossible.

July 8, 2013 1:23 pm  #31

anjaH_alias wrote:

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Yup, they filmed that more than once.  It doesn't seem feasible to run it over and then run it back each time without a reason.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.

July 8, 2013 1:54 pm  #32

IMO the setlock  here is probably 80-100 % John's nightmare, imagination, a fake or John trying to work out a miracle. Like we do. Mofftiss are making fun of us. Look at BC with the umbrella hanging on the rope like Mary Poppins or the people carrying the massive blue bag or Moriarty in Sherlock's coat or Derren Brown hypotising John. Maybe some tiny bit is real e.g. the stuntperson with the camera angle for us to see the fall from Sherlock's point of view to prove that he really fell or to give us the falling experience which is highly appreciated.

They told us that the solution was already filmed in series 2. Why do it now for everybody to watch and spoil? They knew that fans would be curious and spoilers couldn't be avoided.
And they said that it can be worked out with the clues we got. I'd stick to that. There is no clue towards an airbag. (At least I haven't seen it ). And what about the sniper? He is minimum 2 stories high on the stairs and he can look down on the pavement. How can the truck hide the big blue airbag?

The whole point in a fake suicide/fall is to fool the sniper. The big blue airbag would have been seen by the sniper when carried away. This solution with the silly airbag is not clever. It is ridiculous. OK, they sometimes do ridiculous (the fake arrest without warrant), but I would be very disappointed if it was the solution.

Conclusion: They don't fight spoilers. They use it to distract fans from finding the real solution which has nothing to do with a fake Sherlock or a massive airbag, IMO.
Somebody from team Sherlock said in an interview when asked whether fans can work out how it is done that it is not revealed.

I think Mofftiss just appreciate that we work on it and that we try to find a solution. This sequence is perhaps there to address the fan's theories and make fun of them.

Last edited by Be (July 8, 2013 2:09 pm)

July 8, 2013 2:16 pm  #33

Be wrote:

IMO the setlock  here is probably 80-100 % John's nightmare, imagination, a fake or John trying to work out a miracle. Like we do. Mofftiss are making fun of us. Look at BC with the umbrella hanging on the rope like Mary Poppins or the people carrying the massive blue bag or Moriarty in Sherlock's coat or Derren Brown hypotising John. Maybe some tiny bit is real e.g. the stuntperson with the camera angle for us to see the fall from Sherlock's point of view to prove that he really fell or to give us the falling experience which is highly appreciated.

They told us that the solution was already filmed in series 2. Why do it now for everybody to watch and spoil? They knew that fans would be curious and spoilers couldn't be avoided.
And they said that it can be worked out with the clues we got. I'd stick to that. There is no clue towards an airbag. (At least I haven't seen it ). And what about the sniper? He is minimum 2 stories high on the stairs and he can look down on the pavement. How can the truck hide the big blue airbag? Do you know how long it takes to blow up an airbag of this size? You need an engine to blow it up. This engine has to be there in time and it has to be behind the truck, too. It needed to be hidden somewhere or with something not seen from above. A cover of some kind.

The whole point in a fake suicide/fall is to fool the sniper. The big blue airbag would have been seen by the sniper when carried away. This solution with the silly airbag is not clever. It is ridiculous. OK, they sometimes do ridiculous (the fake arrest without warrant), but I would be very disappointed if it was the solution.

Conclusion: They don't fight spoilers. They use it to distract fans from finding the real solution which has nothing to do with a fake Sherlock or a massive airbag, IMO.
Somebody from team Sherlock said in an interview when asked whether fans can work out how it is done that it is not revealed.

I think Mofftiss just appreciate that we work on it and that we try to find a solution. This sequence is perhaps there to address the fan's theories and make fun of them.

He was filming the stunt in the rain...therefore, in between takes, he was using an umbrella.  He would drop it down right before the take.  None of that was a dream sequence, and they didn't finish filming the fall in series 2.  They said they filmed some of the solution last time...but whatever it was, they didn't get the stuff on the ground.  They are fully aware of people watching...but they can't do anything about it.  They still have to film.  And it's really expensive to film shots like they were filming...and risky.  Why would you take that risk just to film something that isn't part of the script?  Especially with your star actor.

Now, I will agree that they've probably snuck somethings in there that aren't right...like John being hypnotized.  I can't even think for one moment that it's remotely true in any way whatsoever.  Sherlock would never use something like that as a device for tricking John, because he would never believe in hypnosis.  But he would use a magic trick...which is what he did.  The key parts of a magic trick...a mark keeping his eyes where you want him to, and people behind the scenes helping out.  And Sherlock had both.  He even says it's a magic trick on the phone call.

I believe that the things I pointed out do fit and are true because they fit in with what I had thought before I ever saw any of it.  Sherlock HAD to fall on something...there was no other way to survive.  He was the jumper, and he was definitely on the ground.  The only thing we don't see in the actual episode is the device he used (because of clever editing).  Watch that scene again, and you see that they never show the other side of that small red-brick building the entire time.  Not once.  Not even in the overhead shots looking down on Sherlock.  Jumping into the lorry would be just as deadly as falling on the concrete...he woud have hit the walls of the bed of the lorry if he had.  So whatever it was, it had to be big enough and soft enough to catch him.  Then what are they using in filming?  And airbag.  And it's being used as a prop, not a safety device.  What other options are there?  None, really.  Unless the whole thing is a trick...but if that's true, then the producers were lying when they said that we have all of the evidence to figure it out.  Now, they might be...but I doubt it.  They have said people have come close, but of course, we aren't going to figure out everything.  But we can figure out how he survived...and basically, he jumped onto something that was set up by the people down below and used the ball to mask his pulse to John.  And that's without the spoilers.  With the spoilers, it's still Sherlock jumped onto something that was set up by the people down below and used the ball to mask his pulse to John.  That's why I think what I think.

July 8, 2013 3:19 pm  #34

I think that everything they filmed is in the script. But it is not the solution.
There has to be something to soften the fall and explain the landing position There is something. But it is not a massive blue airbag.
IMO, Sherlock fell. No dummy. No fake person on the pavement.
No jumping into the truck. Impossible because too far away and the angle is wrong. But the truck has a role in it.
IMO the clues are there but they are hidden somewhere else beginning in series1. If you know it it is obvious. Like when Sherlock is looking at the painting in the gallery. Or with the SHER. It is staring you into your face.

July 8, 2013 3:20 pm  #35

Be wrote:

I think that everything they filmed is in the script. But it is not the solution.
There has to be something to soften the fall and explain the landing position There is something. But it is not a massive blue airbag.
IMO, Sherlock fell. No dummy. No fake person on the pavement.
No jumping into the truck. Impossible because too far away and the angle is wrong. But the truck has a role in it.
IMO the clues are there but they are hidden somewhere else beginning in series1. If you know it it is obvious. Like when Sherlock is looking at the painting in the gallery. Or with the SHER. It is staring you into your face.

What do you think he landed on, then?

July 8, 2013 3:39 pm  #36

I am not prepared to share my theory because 1. I am not 100 % sure about everything and I doubt myself 2. I don't want to spoil 3. I would need to prove but that would spoil more if I was right.

The clues are there and when I see things repeat themselves I see pattern.

Last edited by Be (July 8, 2013 3:40 pm)

July 8, 2013 3:41 pm  #37

Be wrote:

I am not prepared to share my theory because 1. I am not 100 % sure about everything and I doubt myself 2. I don't want to spoil 3. I would need to prove but that would spoil more if I was right.

I would love to know...and I definitely am not 100% right.  This is the perfect place to share it :D

July 8, 2013 3:49 pm  #38

sj4iy wrote:

Be wrote:

I would love to know...and I definitely am not 100% right.  This is the perfect place to share it :D

No, it's not. I would really like to talk about it. But nobody wants to be told. And the fall problem is just the icing on the cake.

July 8, 2013 3:50 pm  #39

Be wrote:

sj4iy wrote:

Be wrote:

No, it's not. I would really like to talk about it. But nobody wants to be told. And the fall problem is just the icing on the cake.

PM me, then?  I love hearing different theories...it definitely makes me think

July 8, 2013 4:02 pm  #40

Sorry, can't. Trust issues.

Board footera