BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 6, 2013 1:02 am  #1

When ACD met Oscar Wilde.

Once upon a time....a talent scout for an american magazine named J.D Stoddart invited two young aspiring authors to dinner . One was Arthur conan Doyle and the other was Oscar Wilde.
Doyle was little known at this time but had already written the short story " A study in scarlet " , and Wilde was already making much of a name for himself.
At this dinner large sums of money were offered and both came away with contracts to write books.
Surely Doyle would have been influenced and impressed with the illustrious company of Wilde.
Amazingly both became perhaps two of the greatest writers of the 19th century.

I think , ( Stephen Fry also for another , see his documentary the search for Sherlock Holmes) that Wilde may have been an influence on Doyle , and indeed there are many similarities between the characteristics of the flamboyant sarcastic and often cruely cutting genius of Wilde , and the character of Sherlock Holmes.

Could the larger than life Oscar Wilde have been an influence on many of Holme's character traits ? In fact many of Wildes famous quotes do seem very Sherlockian.

It seems coincidental to me that Doyle "killed off Sherlock" in 1893 when at that time Wilde was at the height of his career with "The importance of being Ernest" being hailed as a masterpiece......and yet  his very public affaire with Lord Alfred Douglas was fast becoming the scandal of the century and homosexual paranoia was rampant .
By 1895 Wilde's trials and affairs led to his arrest and then later that year he was sentenced to two years hard labour in prison .
On his release in 1897 Wilde took the name Sebatian Melmoth and moved to france .

So yet again we have coincidence  , with the re~emergance of Wilde and Shelock, two years and some months disappearance , and the name Sebastian M

I am sure there are many more things,, and I wonder if any one else has thought about this or if anyone has noticed any SH Quotes or behaviors that are very Wilde or vice versa ?

" The truth is rarely pure but never simple."  Wilde or Holmes ? 

Could be dangerous but fun . ~ lil.

July 6, 2013 8:40 am  #2

Re: When ACD met Oscar Wilde.

Certainly some strong 'coincidences'. Thanks for posting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 6, 2013 6:29 pm  #3

I like the Wilde connection, it's interesting. And I've seen it used in an argument to support why ACD shipped Johnlock, hehe. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 6, 2013 8:26 pm  #4

Thanks for the information, that's really interesting. And being a fan of Katie Forsythe's stories I appreciate this possible connection. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 6, 2013 10:25 pm  #5

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

I like the Wilde connection, it's interesting. And I've seen it used in an argument to support why ACD shipped Johnlock, hehe. 

Ditto that. To the "T."

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

Board footera