BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 3, 2013 10:49 am  #1

Riddles in the Dark Vs Mycroft Warehouse Scene

Riddles = lost hobbit Vs slghtly demented post-hobbit creature
Warehouse = Kidnapped doctor (who also doesn't know where he is) Vs Guy who knows everything aout him.

Riddles = Ring is common ground between the two characters.
Warehouse = Sherlock is common ground between the two characters

(therefore Sherlock = Ring )

Riddles = You work out Bilbo's bloody intelligent.
Warehouse = You work out John is bloody brave.

(both are defining scenes for Martin's characters)

Riddles: Andy Serkis becomes second unit director straight after acting in this scene.
Warehouse: Mark Gatiss is both actor & writer/producer/a whole bunch of things throughout the series.

(both co-stars are also production crew members)

Credit: tobeornot221b's thread on PINK & Reicenbach comparisons

February 3, 2013 10:57 am  #2

Re: Riddles in the Dark Vs Mycroft Warehouse Scene

Riddles = Bilbo finds the ring and wears it later
Warehouse = Mycroft wears a ring

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

February 6, 2013 6:15 am  #3

*someone feels testy?*

Anyway, I thought this was a thread discussing how the Warehouse scene was much better acted than the Riddle scene (by Martin Freeman).

I might be the only one who feels like this though..

February 6, 2013 7:07 am  #4

You can blame any number of factors for that. I blame directors usually.

I thought it was a quirky comparison though saturnR

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

February 6, 2013 8:25 am  #5

Directors and also Andy Serkis's  (Gollum)  performance was such a powerhouse it would be tricky on exactly how to pitch Martin's (Bilbo).

I think the thread is picking out similarities between the two scenes. Some are a bit tenuous IMO.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 6, 2013 10:02 am  #6

The Doctor wrote:

Anyway, I thought this was a thread discussing how the Warehouse scene was much better acted than the Riddle scene (by Martin Freeman).

It's not really better acted, it's just differently acted because the characters are being challenged in a different way. Bilbo is not only mentally challenged, he's also physically challenged because Gollum is circling him continuously through out the scene. Mycroft doesn't do the walking around, circling his prey thing with John so John doesn't have to move as much

However, if you want an example of good acting, go to the scene where Bilbo points his sword at Gollum and you can see the precise moment where he changes his mind abut wanting to kill him - that was some of the most chilling acting I've ever seen from anybody. I remember getting goosebumps in the cinemas because it felt so real which is kind of silly considering I went in knowing that it was going to be a fantasy film.

I finally got around to reading The Hobbit and found the corresponding scene in the book where Bilbo doesn't actually point his sword at Gollum but is considering it. After seeing the original source, it made me respect Martin's acting in that scene more.

February 9, 2013 5:24 am  #7

I have been a Tolkienist for over 25 years and am very aware of the differing back stories.

However, none of this impact my impression that Martin was rather under-acting in the cave scene, while the warehouse is spot on on so many levels. 
To be honest, for me the whole movie felt rather clumsy, and both script writing and editing were a bit of a let down. And while I cherish the behind the scene-stuff from The Hobbit the cinema version did fail to include many brilliant moments of Martin's acting. Thus, I'd rather watch dailies than the cinematic version.

Anyway, I shut up now. Still looking forward to the 2nd and 3rd part!

February 9, 2013 9:48 am  #8

The Doctor wrote:

And while I cherish the behind the scene-stuff from The Hobbit the cinema version did fail to include many brilliant moments of Martin's acting. Thus, I'd rather watch dailies than the cinematic version.

I think Martin is a "no two takes are the same" actor; as a director, it's gotta be as annoying as hell (as creative as that is ). I love how ironic that is - Peter Jackson picked him because he's played some very famous placid characters; but the actor himself is anything but placid .

February 13, 2013 5:25 am  #9

saturnR wrote:

I love how ironic that is - Peter Jackson picked him because he's played some very famous placid characters; but the actor himself is anything but placid.

Again, you express so well what I struggled to do so! Thanks for nailing it. And yes, so true!

July 5, 2013 10:03 am  #10

I did some amateur acting years ago but yes in stage play rehearsals directors will say ' yes, that's it, keep that' and they want a repeat of what you did every time becuase there isn't a choice of two filmed takes. Now I cosplay and am aware again that it is so much easier to play a character who is more like your own personality than one who is the opposite becuase. I think it is easier to show the forward moving emotions of stoic fire and holding back anger (John's)  than to portray the standing still emotions of indecision and a reticence to be active (Bilbo's). I think Bilbo must have been harder to play than John in those two scenes. It makes it high standard acting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We solve crimes, I blog about it and he forgets his pants, so I wouldn’t hold out too much hope. (Scandal in Belgravia)

I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead..........I heard you.(The Empty Hearse)

July 5, 2013 12:53 pm  #11

Martin's said to be quite a prankster on set, the Hobbit cast can confirm this!

Prior to The Hobbit, the only thing I'd seen him in was Love Actually. I had no idea of just how funny he is!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

Board footera