BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 13, 2012 8:43 pm  #1

Why the Crown Jewels?

Is it possible that the writers chose to have Moriarty 'stealing' the Crown Jewels because they were influenced by the interactive fiction computer game made back in 1988? The title was Sherlock: The Riddle of the Crown Jewels. In it there is an obvious trap so Dr. Watson has to do the investigation. The writers would have all been in their early twenties in 1988 and it is definitely possible that one, if not all, of them could have played the game when it came out.

www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherlock:_The_Riddle_of_the_Crown_Jewels

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 14, 2012 3:13 am  #2

Re: Why the Crown Jewels?

I wouldn't think it had anything to do with that game. Video games like that really didn't play a big part in adult lives in the 80's.

I believe the choose 3 of the most well known landmarks  of London, that was all.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 14, 2012 9:11 am  #3

It could be related to the video game, but as kazza said, the Crown Jewels are a well known landmark of London and, probably, one of the most representative things with a high security level. I think they wanted to show Moriarty being able to break into some of the most secure places in London. Maybe Buckingham or the Parliament or other places have a higher level of security, but the Crown Jewels also give a visually powerful moment. Seing dear Jim sitting in a throne with his crown and all that is striking at the very least

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

June 14, 2012 10:07 am  #4

Also, the Basil Rathbone movie where Moriarty steals the Crown Jewels.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 20, 2013 12:37 am  #5

One, why do they fast he tried to steal the crown jewels? All he did was break into the case, and sit there, waiting for security to show up.

Two, where did the ermine cape come from?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beware of dragons for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup

Dr. Horribles sing along blog
You people all have to learn
This world is going to burn
Burn
(yeah, it’s two r’s. H, O, R, R, yeah right.)
Burn

June 20, 2013 4:26 pm  #6

I think that the Crown Jewels video game relation might have been a clever reference from the writers, or, as kazza said, just a well placed coincidence.
And i still find it silly how people thought he was trying to steal them, i mean really. he could have stolen them from 100,000 miles away if he wanted to. He just wanted to express his fablous power. ;)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I introduced my mother to Sherlock, now she's more obsessed than me. I'm only on here to make sure she behaves.

June 26, 2013 2:55 pm  #7

butterfly grl wrote:

One, why do they fast he tried to steal the crown jewels? All he did was break into the case, and sit there, waiting for security to show up.

I think you have a good point there. Technically he didn't steal anything. One may even question whether is was an attempted theft because how was he to take anything with him?  No bags to carry something, no backpack. If anything he brought a diamond into The Tower, wrote the message and sat there to be photographed. He didn't break in because he bought a ticket and got in legally. His lawyer could have tried to plea "not guilty" when it comes to attempted burglary. Nothing to steal in a prison and nothing taken at the bank. If there was a code with which one could break in everywhere the government should be pleased to be told that there was such a risk.
It was just criminal property damage when he broke the glass.  He possibly had a clean criminal record with his Brook identity.

Sherlock said that he did it on purpose. What he got was the picture with him in a crown and "Get Sherlock" and the trial with the "not guilty" outcome.

Last edited by Be (June 27, 2013 7:32 am)

Board footera