BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 25, 2012 4:56 pm  #1

Sherlock Holmes Quiz Thread

Ok  this is the newest quiz thread.   

There  are 10  questions,  each  player may  answer as many as you can.  No  duplicate players,  ok?   The  person  who  gets  the MOST  right,  can  start the next quiz  if they desire to do so.  If  not,  please let me know  and I'll start a new quiz.   Whatever floats your....boat.   (hee hee)   But  be aware---the rules of this quiz thread can change at any time,  depending upon who is hosting. 

Ok...  today  is Friday May 25th.   I  will  come  back   Wednesday  May 30th,  to  see who  wins  this round,  ok?   Each person  may  answer as many  questions as you can. If there's a tie,  welll....I'll let  my master decide.   MEOW!!! 

These qq are all taken from the BBC  sherlock shows,  ok?   The game is ON!!   

1.  In the Great Game,  what appeared on Sherlock's little magnifier when he was looking for blood on Joe Harrison's windowsill? 

2.  In Scandal, what part of Sherlock did Irene touch, before she stabbed him with the drugged needle?

3.   In Study, What was the Cabbie's  mistake?         

4.  In Hounds,  when did Sherlock tell Henry and John that he WAS  going to Dartmoor after all? 

5.  What was the "Reichenbach Fall"  and who did it?   

6.   In Scandal,  what did Mycroft Holmes say about the Secret Service? 

7.  In Study,  what did the Cabbie's gun do,  when he pointed it at Sherlock and pulled the trigger? 

8.   In  Blind Banker, what was the title of the book that the smugglers were using to crack their cipher? 

9.   In  Great Game,  what is the main clue of Janus Cars? 

10.   In  Hounds, who gave Sherlock his "cell number"?   

Have fun!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

May 25, 2012 6:39 pm  #2

Re: Sherlock Holmes Quiz Thread

Ok, let's give it a try: 

1.  In the Great Game,  what appeared on Sherlock's little magnifier when he was looking for blood on Joe Harrison's windowsill? 
His own face, upwards and downwards (I think that are the correct words, not sure though )

2.  In Scandal, what part of Sherlock did Irene touch, before she stabbed him with the drugged needle?
I think it's his arm (could be his back, but I think it's his arm).

Pink 

4.  In Hounds,  when did Sherlock tell Henry and John that he WAS  going to Dartmoor after all? 
After messing with them for a while saying he was sending his best man etc. and, specially, after John gives him his "secret supply" 

I don't know what you refer to exactly, but it could be:
a) Sherlock's disgrace, losing his reputation > Moriarty did it.
b) Sherlock's actual fall from the rooftop > this I guess was done by Sherlock himself (though "pushed" by Moriarty).

You can't trust them, they all spy on people for money  (gotta love dear old Mycroft).

7.  In Study,  what did the Cabbie's gun do,  when he pointed it at Sherlock and pulled the trigger? 
It was a lighter, so there was a flame (I really, really don't know how to express this better, sorry ).

8.   In  Blind Banker, what was the title of the book that the smugglers were using to crack their cipher? 
London A to Z.

The name (Janus as the god of two faces).

Dr Frankland (he was a doctor, wasn't he? I don't quite remember now).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

May 26, 2012 3:35 am  #3

Wow, good answering!
Still, I guess I'll try for a honorable mention, if only for barrel-scraping pedantism, with

Sherlock did indeed state that the error was 'Pink' (and I for one wouldn't want to argue with him on his choice of word) but I presume he meant: the cabbie's failure to realise that the murder vicitm's seriously colour-coordinated pinkness would make her inferredly pink suitcase relatively easy to identify amongst the gerzillions of otherwise black, blue, red etc suitcases dumped in London,

which is not nearly such a pithy line for a great detective.

To avoid Sherlock catching up with him, he should have emptied all her stuff into a black suitcase, or perhaps a Swansea City hold-all, and left that in a dumpster, whilst leaving the pink case at a Barbie convention. As it is, every cloud has a silver(y pink) lining, and he had some fun pursuing his 'tremendous ambitions' before they came to nought.

Last edited by Britigander (May 26, 2012 3:36 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Important thing I have learnt from 'Sherlock':
British army research bases keep their bins at the bottom of a quite deep lift shaft.

May 26, 2012 7:18 am  #4

I like it Brit! The mistake was forgetting that the victim had left her overnight bag in the boot of the taxi and it's main, almost unique, identifying feature was that is was 'a frankly alarming shade of pink' to match the rest of her outfit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 26, 2012 5:32 pm  #5

So true, Davina, not leaving the case with the victim was especially not consistent with the murderer taking care to to leave evidence likely to be interpreted as a 'solo suicide scenario',  and made it more likely that the victim was taken to Lauriston Gardens in a vehicle. Oops! and double Oops!

Note to self:
Gah! Should have mentioned 'frankly alarming shade of' pink!

Although
***Pedantry alert!***

Sherlock himself said it was the murderer's first big mistake, which it was, in the round. However, it does not preclude other explanations for the absence of the case, some of which were dismissed in passing.
     In fact, I think it was a piece of luck that the case was not with the victim, as Sherlock would then have had the inferenes that it provided sooner (presuming LeStrade had enabled him to go through it, and Sherlock had his extra nicotine patches with him): Since this was the third such unexplained death that had come to the attention of the police, and the press were clamouring for results, all evidence was bound to be sought and examined quite carefully, even if an 'unconnected suicide' remained a possibility.
     Yet, even allowing for a slightly cleverer perp who for whatever reason planned not to leave the case at the scene, they switched their brains off regarding the unusual frankly alarming shade it was in and how this might enable any detective to prioritise its investigation over those in other colours. How much did they really 'think it through'? Why not dump the case a long way away? Hide it in a lock up? Or throw it in the river after slashing it? The cabbie had a vehicle which would not draw attention, knew London well, and had ample opportunity to be aware of where there were CCTV cameras and where there were not. So many people just dump stuff on the pavement (boo!) and most people are strangers to one another and turn a blind eye. If he was still caring at some level and driven to crime by his special circumstances he could have left the contents outside charity shops!

If he even thought "What would Moriarty do?" I doubt he phoned up to check if he was right.

No, I reckon it was an inadvertantly fortunate 'decision', as it were, not to leave the case at the scene, but the cabbie lacked the savoir faire/sang froid to capitalise on it, which was his second but arguably more serious 'big mistake', and consistent with his display of belief in his own instinctive cleverness, rather than 'thinking it through' consciously or relying on Moriartical instructions, in his final minutes. His third and biggest mistake was taking on Sherlock in the flesh. In the end, Luck was a not a Lady in Pink for him that night, but a Gentleman Captain in Civvies. With a gun.

Meanwhile, back at reality, looking forward to Sherlockskitty's reveal!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
British army research bases keep their bins at the bottom of a quite deep lift shaft.

May 26, 2012 6:09 pm  #6

Irene Adler answered all  of the questions  in this quiz,  and got 7  out of 10 ,  but I  shall not tell Which ones she got correct  until the BIG REVEAL. 

bRITIGANDER,  you  got question 3,  but only  ONE  of your posts  has the answer I was looking for,  and no,  I shan't tell you which one.   Sneaky of me,  I know.   Would  you  care to try  the others?

Davina,  Very good  answer on number 3. quite insightful. Would you care to try the others?  Hmm? 

Dear Players, Answer as many  questions as you can.  the person who gets the most right will win this game. The prize?   Well,  if I could,  I'd send you a hat.   

Ok  this is the newest quiz thread. 

There  are 10  questions,  each  player-- please try to  answer as many as you can.  No  duplicate players,  ok?   The  person  who  gets  the MOST  right,  can  start the next quiz  if they desire to do so.  If  not,  please let me know  and I'll start a new quiz.   Whatever floats your....boat.   (hee hee)   But  be aware---the rules of this quiz thread can change at any time,  depending upon who is hosting. 

I  will  come  back   Wednesday  May 30th,  to  see who  wins  this round,  ok?   Each person  may  answer as many  questions as you can. If there's a tie,  welll....I'll let  my master decide.   MEOW!!! 

These qq are all taken from the BBC  sherlock shows,  ok?   The game is ON!!   

2.  In Scandal, what part of Sherlock   did Irene touch, before she stabbed him with the drugged needle?

5.  What  was the "Reichenbach Fall"  and who did it?   

Have fun!!

Last edited by sherlockskitty (May 26, 2012 6:17 pm)

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

May 26, 2012 6:36 pm  #7

"Damn you Sherlockitty!"

*shakes fist in appropriate stereotypic fashion*

(Not really!)

Point of information: Are we allowed to research in any way we wish?
My previous quizzing experience required that one did not look anything up/watch eps specially in order to answer questions unless permitted. Don't want to break the rules, so please could you clarify?

edited to add...

Not sure how it works...if Irene has 7 already? ..nah, I'm missing something here.
Trying to avoid 'splitting the hairs on hairs in an annoying to others in a social setting' way. :$

"Ambiguity, thy name is Reichenbach Fall! Or was? That is the question..."

PS Where does everyone else get their range of emoticons from?

Last edited by Britigander (May 26, 2012 7:23 pm)

May 26, 2012 9:34 pm  #8

Britigander wrote:

"Darn you Sherlockskitty!"

*shakes fist in appropriate stereotypic fashion*

(Not really!) (I  know, dear) 
Point of information: Are we allowed to research in any way we wish?
My previous quizzing experience required that one did not look anything up/watch eps specially in order to answer questions unless permitted. Don't want to break the rules, so please could you clarify?

edited to add...

Not sure how it works...if Irene has 7 already? ..nah, I'm missing something here.
Trying to avoid 'splitting the hairs on hairs in an annoying to others in a social setting' way. :$

"Ambiguity, thy name is Reichenbach Fall! Or was? That is the question..."

PS Where does everyone else get their range of emoticons from?

Yes  britiganger and everyone  you may  do  research as much as you please,  however you please.  In fact,  I do insist.  (holds out arms)   

Each  player may  answer ALL   questions.    That was the  main point  of the other quiz threads  too,  if  you want to look at those,  you'll see what I mean.   For  this  particular quiz  (my  first one)  I']ve set it up so that EVERYONE  can  answer ALL 10  questions,  and whoever gets the most right,  wins  this  round.   Game ends may 30th. 

As  for   the smileys,  you can ONLY  get them inside a post if you hit  QUOTE,  or  if  you  hit  POST REPLY  at the bottom  of the previous poster's post.   I'm  getting mine  here cos  I  hit  QUOTE  inside your post.   smiley  is  down at the bottom.   

I'll  post the questions   here  as soon  as I  make a few changes  to  ze rules.  I won't change the questions,  since Irene has already answered her share of this quiz.  HOWEVER  I  did change TWO  WORDS  in question number 5,  but Irene's answer still fits,  so we'll leave that alone.  (sorry Irene)     so---don't  just SEE,  OBSERVE  too.   

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok  this is the newest quiz thread.  Date started—May 25th 2012 

There  are 10  questions.   Each consecutive player must try to answer  as many questions as you can.  The object of this game is to get the most answers correct.  Yes, you may do your research .   Read the stories.   Watch the shows.  Look on the internet.  You may even look at the solar system, if you want.  Point is,  don’t  just answer one—try them all.     

I  will  come  back   Wednesday  May 30th,  to  see who  wins  this round,  ok? Yes,  I have my  own answers.   If there's a tie,  welll....I'll let  my master decide.   MEOW!!! 

These qq are all taken from the BBC  Sherlock shows with our handsome Ben and Martin,  ok?   The game,  Mrs. Hudson,  is ON!!   

2.  In Scandal, what part of Sherlock  did Irene  touch, before she stabbed him with the drugged needle?

5.  What   is the "Reichenbach Fall"  and who made  it?     

Have fun!!

Last edited by sherlockskitty (May 26, 2012 9:51 pm)

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

May 27, 2012 12:05 am  #9

His face appeared once upside down and once normally.

2.  In Scandal, what part of Sherlock  did Irene  touch, before she stabbed him with the drugged needle?
His (left) upper arm.

That he forgot the suitcase of the pink lady. The fact that the suitcase was pink made it easily recognizable.

After Henry spoke the words "the footprints of a GIGANTIC hound".

A painting by Turner.

He didn't trust them because they spy on other people for money.

It produced a flame because it was a lighter.

London A-Z

The clue is in the name - "Janus" as the two-faced god.

Dr Frankland

Last edited by Sammy (May 27, 2012 12:06 am)

May 27, 2012 9:25 am  #10

I did a bit of research and will expand on some of my previous answers:

His own face, upwards and downwards. In case this is not the correct way of saying that, I mean this:

His left arm.

To throw the pink case in the street. He should have emptied it and thrown the case and its content sepparately.

After John gives him his secret supply of cigarrettes.

Going by Sammy's answer, I think then it is a painting by William Turner. But, I must say, I've allways known that painting as "The Reichanbach Falls" and, as I'm not English native, I understand "fall" as what Sherlock did from Saint Bart's roof and "falls" as the water thing (like Niagara Falls, I mean) so I'm still not sure if this is what you're asking for. But it can be just a problem of my poor English

You can't trust them, they all spy on people for money.

It was a lighter, so there was a flame.

London A Z.

The name (Janus as the god of two faces).

Dr Frankland

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

May 27, 2012 1:08 pm  #11

4. Will just add that it was immediately after Sherlock heard Henry say the word HOUND.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 29, 2012 12:44 am  #12

- Sherlock's reflection.

- his left arm

- Driving off with the victim's suitcase in his cab.

-Right after having his cigarettes returned by John.

- there has only been one thing called "The Reichenbach Fall". It is a TV show, the third show in the second series of BBC Sherlock. It was made/created by Steven Moffat & Mark Gatiss.

- You can't trust them, they all spy on people for money.

- produced a flame.

- A-Z London guide

- The name comes from the god with 2 faces, hence the company has 2 'faces' ; one as a car rental company & the other venture is arranging for people to disappear to foreign countries etc.

- Dr Robert Frankland.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

May 29, 2012 7:20 pm  #13

thanks all for playing!!   the big reveal will come  tomorrow.   I  know at least ONE  of you will be very surprised.  Or not.   There's still time for others to play---

Sherlocky, sherlocky,  I  love ya,  sherlocky !!   you're only a day away!!!

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

May 29, 2012 7:44 pm  #14

Very Annie! I like!

May 30, 2012 7:23 pm  #15

thanks davina  I could parody  the whole song,  but I haven't got time.  We'll have to wait til Christmas.   Oh....there's still time for  others to play--  I'm  a bit  busy....  lets see--  Irene adler,  Sammy,   and kazza  have done all 10  questions,  so  you're done now.   (As Irene said to Holmes, the younger)   Any  other takers?    Or  should I just eat that hat that my master threw to John?   

~~~~~~~~~~~~

There  are 10  questions.   Each consecutive player must try to answer  as many questions as you can.  The object of this game is to get the most answers correct.  Yes, you may do your research .   Read the stories.   Watch the shows.  Look on the internet.  You may even look at the solar system, if you want.  Point is,  don’t  just answer one—try them all. 

Be warned….the rules may change, depending upon whom is hosting the current quiz,  ok?       

I  will  come  back   Wednesday  May 30th,  to  see who  wins  this round,  ok? Yes,  I have my  own answers.   If there's a tie,  welll....I'll let  my master decide.   MEOW!!! 

These qq are all taken from the BBC  Sherlock shows with our handsome Ben and Martin,  ok?   The game,  Mrs. Hudson,  is ON!!     

Have fun!!   Sherlock will be watching!!

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

May 30, 2012 8:49 pm  #16

I believe Sammy and Kazza have all the correct answers, except:

5. Sammy's answer is the correct one.

4. Kazza is correct here.

And, according to Sherlock himself, the answer to 3 is simply "Pink!".

Well, that's my lazy response. 

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

May 31, 2012 4:28 am  #17

Whew!!   What fun this was.   No, really. 

Today is May 30, 2012  and I said I’d come back   and give you my answers.   First, I'll calculate the results, and then give you  the answers I was looking for.  If  There's a tie breaker, I've got that planned too.   

OK!!!!    Here  are the results.    Now,  Irene Adler did her quiz  TWICE,   and the second time  was AFTER  I  said the players could do their research.   So,  Irene,  I  will accept your SECOND  quiz  for this round.   Davina, Britigander, and Tantalus,  thank you ALL for your comments and ‘lazy’ responses.   I  was,  however,  hoping you’d all go deeper.   

Ok   Here   are the results---Kazza  got  8  out of 10,   but  both Sammy  and Irene  got  9  out of 10,  soooooo—TIEBREAKER is  here 

TIEBREAKER!!!!!!!   How   this  works---   I  will ask  ONE  question,   and the first person to respond,  be it   Sammy  OR   Irene Adler,   will  be the winner of this round.   THEN  we will  decide where to go from here.     

Your  Tie-breaking question---

When Sherlock gets up from lying on  his couch,  what does he step on?   (He’s done this in almost every episode)     

Good luck!!

~~~~~~~~~My Quiz and Answers and player’s points~~~~~~~~~

Answer—His two faces, one upside down and one right-side up.   

Sammy =  Yes   Irene=  Yes    Kazza =  No—(I  wanted a specific answer,  sorry!!) 

Answer---His left arm     
Sammy=Yes  Irene=Yes    Kazza=Yes

Answer---He suddenly realized he still had Jennifer Wilson’s pink suitcase. 
Sammy=Yes   Irene=No  Kazza=Yes

Answer---After John finally handed him his cigarettes,  which were hidden inside the skull.   
Sammy=No  Irene= Yes   Kazza=Yes

Answer---  It’s a painting made by  J W  Turner,  and, alas—it is actually called  “Reichenbach FALLS��   So  that’s MY  mistake in not naming it properly.         
Sammy=Yes   Irene=Yes   Kazza=  No 

Answer---  They all spy on others for money.       
Sammy=Yes   Irene=Yes  Kazza=Yes

Answer---  It was a lighter gun, not a real gun,  so it produced a flame when  the trigger was pulled.     
Sammy=Yes  Irene= Yes  Kazza=Yes

Answer--- A-Z London Guidebook  (or something like that)   
Sammy=Yes   Irene=Yes   Kazza=Yes 

Answer---  Janus is the God of Two  Faces   

Answer---  Dr Bob (Robert) Frankland     

Have fun!!   Sherlock will be watching!!

Last edited by sherlockskitty (May 31, 2012 4:29 am)

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

May 31, 2012 5:25 am  #18

congrats you 2

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

May 31, 2012 6:30 am  #19

Wow... this is the first time I got so many answers right lol

About your tiebreaker... I would say he steps in a coffe table. I'm not sure if this is the correct name for it, here in Spain we call that coffee tables. Anyway, that's the best answer I can get right now (I'm still a bit sleepy, sorry)

May 31, 2012 6:40 am  #20

Irene_Adler wrote:

Wow... this is the first time I got so many answers right lol

About your tiebreaker... I would say he steps in a coffe table. I'm not sure if this is the correct name for it, here in Spain we call that coffee tables. Anyway, that's the best answer I can get right now (I'm still a bit sleepy, sorry)

Hey Irene,  . You and Sammy did a great job with your quiz answers.   

You are correct, He steps onto the coffee table,  which I think is quite funny  but in character.  Soooo---Congratulations  you  win this round.   

Do  you want to post another quiz  for  us  here?    If  not,  let us know here,  and perhaps I can post another quiz.   (And I'll change the rules too)   

I'm sleepy too,  so  Goodnight!!   Happy sherlocking!!

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

Board footera