BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 16, 2013 11:18 pm  #21

Re: My first ever fan fic! *gasp* (Warning: Will make you cry)

Be wrote:

May I ask a general question about Sherlock fanfiction here?
I have read a lot of them. Why is it that we find so many stories with Sherlock suffering, being ill, wrong, beaten or punished (by John or others) for being himself?
What is the psychological reason for this? Is it that we can't stand him being the genius all the time? I know that it is a plot device, but is there a deeper psychological point in it? Are we even like Sally Donovan who treats him badly? Sometimes Doyle didn't like him either. I am really interested in this.

It makes for a good plot device. Not all readers will appreciate it, and for that matter, not all authors can carry it off in a believable way. But when it works, it works.

I don't know that you have to psychoanalyze it any more than that-- fan fic comes in all shapes, sizes and persuasions, God knows. There's something for everyone to write, and something for everyone to read.

Search around in the forum index, and you will find specific threads that discuss fan fic-- ask your question there, and you might get some ideas.

June 16, 2013 11:21 pm  #22

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Ha, that's a good question. I think on a simpler level, it's because he's our hero, and people like to see a hero who has faults and flaws, a hero who can feel pain and suffer, just like we can, a hero they can relate to.

And in Johnlock, who doesn't like to read about John the doctor coming alongside and saving the day, helping Sherlock get better, etc. John has killed a guy to save Sherlock, so he certainly would move heaven and earth to help him when sick or incapacitated in some way. Lovely to read, IMO, maybe especially if before getting sick, Sherlock hadn't admitted his feelings for John, but when made vulnerable and seeing John's heart in that way, he who once was lost can then be found. Yum.

Last edited by ancientsgate (June 16, 2013 11:22 pm)

June 16, 2013 11:26 pm  #23

Harriet wrote:

In my fiction, I like the heroes to overcome trouble and hardships. So, I have to bring them into it, first - part of my job

There is a whole division of fan fic called H/C, which means hurt/comfort. As you say Harriet, the author has to hurt him/them and then the other(s) can comfort him/them-- just another kind of plot device.

Some authors have the policy of always trying to equal the hurt and the comfort, so that one does not outweigh the other in importance/emphasis, or in time spent telling the story. It can be tedious to read something that reads hurt hurt hurt hurt hurt hurt hurt hurt hurt hurt hurt, until you want to scream ENOUGH ALREADY! and then there's only a little comfort comfort at the end. I heard one fan fic author say that her policy was always to put them back together again at the end, better than they were before she decided to mess with them, lol.

June 16, 2013 11:32 pm  #24

QuiteExtraordinary wrote:

"The best man", according to John.   Personally, I don't like fics that focus too much on changing Sherlock's personality for the "better". Just because somebody is different that doesn't necessarily mean they have to adapt and become like everybody else. I don't like the moral of that.

A lot of fan fic is written by children (teens), and IMO they don't have the life experiences or wisdom to really know how to handle a complex character like Sherlock. Some do, I suppose, but I think most of the good stories are written by people who have been around the block a couple of times-- you know, they've seen them come and they've seen them go, and not only do they "get" Sherlock, they know how to reproduce him in their stories.

Technically, if an author messes with the characters' appearances, personalities, ways of speaking, ways of being, that's not really fan fic. If they want to write their own original characters, they should name them Joe and Henry and just write their story. Even in AU or AR, it's important to keep Sherlock recognizable as Sherlock and John as John. They must look like them, sound like them, act like them, have the same basic foibles and wants and needs. After that, an author can play with them like she would paper dolls all she wants, but for fan fic to be that-- fan fic-- the characters have to be recognizable from the original movie, TV show, or book.

June 17, 2013 12:06 am  #25

AG, you're such an expert in fan fic!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 17, 2013 1:12 am  #26

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

AG, you're such an expert in fan fic!

This is my 3rd major fandom in which I've read (and in one, I also wrote 35+ short stories) fan fic. I am no expert, but I'm interested in writing and editing (beta reading), for sure. Sorry, I know I can be a bore, going on and on.

June 17, 2013 4:16 pm  #27

No, it's fine. I find it quite interesting as I'm fairly new to the world of writing fan fic.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 17, 2013 4:20 pm  #28

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

QuiteExtraordinary wrote:

Oh, I forgot to say - it's a very sad, but very good story, Boss!

Hehe, thanks. I kind of enjoyed it, so think I'll probably write more in the future. I set up an AO3 profile anyway.

Please tell us your user name, so we can all leave kudos!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

June 19, 2013 5:17 pm  #29

Ah, it's the same as my Twitter name - believeinsh2012

June 19, 2013 5:36 pm  #30

That is a lovely Twitter name 
And very sad story, loved it. A prequel would be nice to read, your style is beautiful.

Board footera