BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 7, 2012 6:36 am  #1

The phone call

So...who made the phone call to tell John that Mrs.Hudson had been shot?

Just asking like...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 7, 2012 7:08 am  #2

Re: The phone call

It could have been Molly, provided John wouldn't recognise her voice. Someone from the Homeless network. Mycroft, if he's in on the whole story. One of Mycroft's assistants. We don't learn what the caller said, not even if it was anonymous or someone pretending to be police or a neighbour.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 7, 2012 11:56 am  #3

Someone who had been arranged to do so by Sherlock. He had time to do that while John slept.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 7, 2012 6:39 pm  #4

With Sherlock's network of helpers and his technological expertise, he could probably arrange something pretty easily. Mycroft, too, if he's in on it. Somehow I don't think so, though.

Hey, I just realized, Moriarty did not include Mycroft among the people targeted by the snipers. Interesting. I suppose this has already come up elsewhere in the TRF forum. I haven't been able to get deep into all the episode forums (fora? ) yet.

Last edited by veecee (July 7, 2012 6:40 pm)

July 8, 2012 6:54 am  #5

veecee wrote:

Hey, I just realized, Moriarty did not include Mycroft among the people targeted by the snipers. Interesting.

Yes, but watch it again. Moriarty is not the one who names the people targetted. Sherlock does. I rather suspect, as do others, that he chose deliberately who to name. He didn't name Mycroft nor Molly...yet he named Lestrade.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

July 8, 2012 7:40 am  #6

Wholocked wrote:

veecee wrote:

Hey, I just realized, Moriarty did not include Mycroft among the people targeted by the snipers. Interesting.

Yes, but watch it again. Moriarty is not the one who names the people targetted. Sherlock does. I rather suspect, as do others, that he chose deliberately who to name. He didn't name Mycroft nor Molly...yet he named Lestrade.

Well said. I have always harboured a belief that there is something in the fact that Sherlock chose to name the people supposedly being targeted, not Moriarty.
Moriarty is a natural liar, he can lie about anything. One thing with people who lie, they will change tack at the drop of a pin. Sherlock names people & Moriarty ( in my mind) bluffs his way through, saying " yep, them... and them .. and them too".
Now yes, we do see John in one sniper's sights, but the other 2 don't have guns on them really. Those shots could be suggestions rather than facts.
Were Sherlock's widely varied suggestions of people just a test to see how much Moriarty was willing to go with bluffs?

As far as Mycroft goes, that'd be a pretty dangerous move taking out a high ranking Government person really.
Lots of food for thought with this area of thinking methinks.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 8, 2012 5:16 pm  #7

In the original Final Problem it wasn't Holmes that arranged the telegram of the fake dying woman to get Watson away, it was Moriarty's doing. So maybe it was Jim who arranged the phone call, knowing that Sherlock wouldn't meet him if John was still hanging around.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 18, 2013 10:25 pm  #8

I think jm had the call made by one of
his men. That gave Sherlock A countdown clock to get to the roof, deal with JM, and either win, or have john in place for the jump.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beware of dragons for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup

Dr. Horribles sing along blog
You people all have to learn
This world is going to burn
Burn
(yeah, it’s two r’s. H, O, R, R, yeah right.)
Burn

Board footera