BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 19, 2012 6:32 pm  #1

Cinema speech mistake

In the cinema scene, where the lady is listening and fast-forwarding through the video, a man's voice says:

"Jupiter is a gas giant. Planet Earth would fit into it 11 times." (the lady then says "Yes, we know that")

Well, both the voice and the lady (thus the people making the Sherlock series) are wrong. Jupiter is much, much larger than 11 Earths.
Jupiter has 1321 times larger volume than Earth.
The number 11 would be correct if they were speaking only about the diameter.

I've tried searching the web if anyone else picked up that mistake. I haven't found anything. Maybe I'm the only one who noticed this; maybe others did too, but didn't care to post it anywhere; or maybe I'm wrong.

April 19, 2012 6:54 pm  #2

Re: Cinema speech mistake

It could be that the sentence wasn't finished yet when Professor Cairns sped forward (Which she did a lot of), it could have been that "...across it's diameter" was missed out. The pause, that lasts a little too long, could either be for dramatic effect or for us fans to post questions like this.

I trust the narrator though, he was the Fifth Doctor and is the father-n-law of the Tenth - the man knows his universes!

Welcome to the forum BTW, I like your username - reminds me of my favourite 'Scott Pilgrim' character!

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

April 19, 2012 7:15 pm  #3

m0r1arty wrote:

I trust the narrator though, he was the Fifth Doctor and is the father-n-law of the Tenth - the man knows his universes!

REALLY??!! Now that's a fact I didn't know before. Very cool!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 19, 2012 7:30 pm  #4

And Nother. Hardcore name to add to your phone list 

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 19, 2012 8:12 pm  #5

m0r1arty wrote:

It could be that the sentence wasn't finished yet when Professor Cairns sped forward (Which she did a lot of), it could have been that "...across it's diameter" was missed out.

Myeah... I guess it could be

m0r1arty wrote:

Welcome to the forum BTW, I like your username - reminds me of my favourite 'Scott Pilgrim' character!

Thanks. My name, however, is taken from anime Trigun.

And I like your avatar. It's a glider, isn't it?

April 19, 2012 8:57 pm  #6

Professor Cairns that is!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 19, 2012 11:27 pm  #7

knives wrote:

And I like your avatar. It's a glider, isn't it?

You are, absolutely, correct!

-m0r

June 17, 2013 8:01 pm  #8

Hi everybody! I just registered to say that I noted the same while watching this. Yup.

June 17, 2013 8:20 pm  #9

Technically, it's not wrong ;)

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

June 18, 2013 2:59 pm  #10

sj4iy wrote:

True, but then "Planet Earth would fit into it 10 times" isn't wrong too, science if a touch more exacting than that Sj4iy

-m0r

June 18, 2013 3:11 pm  #11

m0r1arty wrote:

sj4iy wrote:

True, but then "Planet Earth would fit into it 10 times" isn't wrong too, science if a touch more exacting than that Sj4iy

-m0r

Lol, well, I kind of think of it as an alternate reality, anyway.  The Van Buren supernova isn't real, so maybe Jupiter is a lot smaller XD  J/k, but I don't really make too much of mistakes like that.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

Board footera