BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 3, 2013 1:18 pm  #201

Re: Recently watched movies.

He was amazing in Gatsby wasn't he! Gosh that guy can really act. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 4, 2013 5:16 am  #202

Watched Evolution last night.
Haven't seen the movie in years, forgot how funny it was.

------------------------------------------
There's no shortcut to a dream. It's all blood and sweat and life is what you manage in between.

June 7, 2013 12:16 am  #203

I just watched Star Trek on Saturday.  It was amazing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

June 7, 2013 9:16 am  #204

"The Oranges"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Oranges_%28film%29

with Hugh Laurie, Catherine Keener, Oliver Platt, Allison Janney, Adam Brody and Leighton Meester

Watched it because of Hugh Laurie, and I was right. Leighton Meester is not my thing, I'm sure she's good in something like Gossip Girl though.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

June 7, 2013 5:35 pm  #205

Love and Honour at a ladies movie night It was nice.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You look sad when you think he can't see you."

June 13, 2013 6:34 am  #206

Well, I finally got around to knocking off a few more the past couple weeks from the been-meaning-to-see-that-for-a-while too-growing list, plus a couple awesome newer ones - all definitely recommended and wanted to share in the case others hadn't seen, or if you also liked!

Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog - seriously…. how did I miss this piece of geekdom (aside from references/awareness of its existence) for this long??  Had the songs in my head for a solid week, and was utterly delighted at the cast/twisted-trope-story/creativity of the Whedon brothers cooking this up on their own. 

Red - another one that intrigued I'd known about for a while but kept forgetting to pick up.  When I heard they were making a sequel, not to mention the awesome cast and premise and hearing one reviewer describe it as 'the AARP of bad-ass hit-man films', it had to be watched.  And I think it would be hard not to like Willis, Freeman, Malkovich, and Mirren as, indeed, the older bad-asses they are.  Plus - Mary-Louise Parker and Karl Urban being just as funny, if you like them!

Amazing Grace - I'm such a lost geek for discovering this now purely because Benedict was in it, and from slowly catching 'the boys' in seeing them in various neat past performances of theirs.  And I must say, Benedict and the previously unfamiliar Ioan Gruffudd were kinda amazing.  Geez… both of them so good at emoting.  Felt a little silly for barely knowing that section of history/the people, but actors aside, wonderful illustration of what happened, too, and the story as a whole.  Probably want to join the discussion at length later in the actual thread for it….  ;)

Aaand… finally, it's probably a no-brainer that even as a doesn't-go-to-theaters-much fan, just had to see Iron Man and Star Trek on the big screens.  And fangirl appropriately, as most of you already know now they were quite awesome.  ;D  Love the thread started on that too, though, that I could finally read your great reflections on so far, and will save rambles for there. 

Oh, but skitty!  I thought you'd like to know that for one trip, used the usual device we had talked about before, but with Star Trek, had to go to a further theater, which was outfitted with the 'glasses' instead.  Not bad!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

June 13, 2013 6:53 am  #207

Russell, glad you liked "Amazing Grace". I love the film, too, and didn't know anything about the historical background before watching it. I didn't even knew the song was of English origin and written as early as the 18th century. I'd always associated it with North American slavery. It's a fascinating story. Harriet even discovered the doctoral thesis of Thomas Clarkson on slavery.

I watched "Iron Man" and "Star Trek" as well and must admit that I preferred STID. I loved the first Iron Man films but to me this last one didn't feel quite as right as the others. There were some elements, e.g. the story with the little boy, that were a bit clichéd to me. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 16, 2013 3:43 am  #208

SusiGo wrote:

Russell, glad you liked "Amazing Grace". I love the film, too, and didn't know anything about the historical background before watching it. I didn't even knew the song was of English origin and written as early as the 18th century. I'd always associated it with North American slavery. It's a fascinating story. Harriet even discovered the doctoral thesis of Thomas Clarkson on slavery.

I watched "Iron Man" and "Star Trek" as well and must admit that I preferred STID. I loved the first Iron Man films but to me this last one didn't feel quite as right as the others. There were some elements, e.g. the story with the little boy, that were a bit clichéd to me. 

Eee.... I know!  Already rambled about it in it's own thread, but definitely yes... thanks... 

And just wanted to belatedly chime in a definite 'yes' to the rest, too... still need to better compose thoughts a bit to Star Trek, really, wanting to join the great discussion that's already on.  Iron Man, on the other hand... well... hm.  Like you said, I love the franchise and actors and etc, and it wasn't bad by any means!  But still walked out of there with a slightly... 'mixed uncertainty' with how to feel about it?  Like... it was the usual awesome Iron Man, and moving it forward and great showing of Tony 'dealing' with things rather than just churning out a stereotypical superhero sequel for the sake of it, but I know what you mean about it not feeling as 'right'.  Not sure why.  So many great elements and totally eating up the stuff with all the suits with a fan's delight and Pepper getting to kick ass, but... story kinda wavered and yeah, the boy and other little things got almost too cliché.  Hard to put finger on, yes?

Anyhow.  Back to movies in general.  Have you seen the others mentioned?  Thanks for the comment!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

June 16, 2013 3:58 am  #209

I saw Superman last night.  Great adaptation...much better than anything in the last 15 years.  Fixed a bunch of flaws with the original story that always bugged me to no end.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

June 16, 2013 8:14 pm  #210

Long overdue, but I'm going to watch Magic Mike tonight. I was told not to expect a good plot, but to be honest, that's not what I expected from that movie in the first place  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You look sad when you think he can't see you."

June 16, 2013 9:02 pm  #211

Finally watched RDJ Sherlock Holmes, Part 2
Reichenbach Falls, cliffhanger, how did he survive? 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

June 17, 2013 5:51 am  #212

I have both DVDs sitting on my shelf, still waiting to be watched!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 22, 2013 11:39 am  #213

Yesterday I have watched "The Lady and The Tramp" and "Doom", which was quite a funny film. Karl Urban and Al Weaver from Blind Banker were in it. But that was as "funny" as it got.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

July 11, 2013 3:33 pm  #214

To The Ends of The Earth.

And I thought I were in an awkward situation right now. Well, that movie taught me better.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

July 11, 2013 4:20 pm  #215

Mattlocked wrote:

Finally watched RDJ Sherlock Holmes, Part 2
Reichenbach Falls, cliffhanger, how did he survive?

It wasn't a cliffhanger...he had the oxygen thing from his brother.  It was in the package to Watson.  Apparently, he used it to keep breathing long enough to survive.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

July 11, 2013 4:21 pm  #216

I haven't watched either film yet, just as well I don't mind spoilers!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 12, 2013 5:35 am  #217

Man, thanks for reminding me!  The friend that I made let me show them the greatness of Sherlock (and created a new converted fellow fan), I found they also hadn't gotten around to the movie versions, either.  No particular reason… they're just like me, so many movies want to see, easy to forget to watch a few (heck, I still have some on my list from a year ago… sheesh.)  They -are- pretty fun, for a period-style action-y Holmes movie.  Kinda cool how having watched the show and the movies, noticing all the similar (or different) ways they use the same canon things.  Think they'll enjoy it, after we get through a few others on our movie-night-list….  ;)

Speaking of which, I too finally saw Man of Steel.  I hadn't intended on doing so at the theater… love superhero movies, but unless it's a favorite character, I don't mind waiting for the dvd.  Family get-together, though, rainy afternoon, someone suggested the movies.  Of course, I tried to sway them to Star Trek, first….      It was actually pretty good.  I agree, SJ, I really like how they tackled the depth of who he was, instead of just this flawless boy-scout type.  Great character and effects.  But…  it's really hard to place a finger on it, but I got nearly almost a similar sensation as I did with Star Trek… that so many aspects were awesome, but as a whole, it felt a little… 'bloated'?  I don't know.

The next day, it was still rainy, so… yay!  Movies again!  ;P  That time was 'Now You See Me', another I was excited for, both for the entire cast they managed to snag, and the fun premise.  Which was admittedly a little on the "fantastical" side, but hey… they did a pretty good job keeping you guessing and enjoying the game until the final 'twist' that was pretty cool.   Anybody else like it?

July 12, 2013 11:20 am  #218

Brokeback Mountain. I've been thinking about watching it for a few years(!) and finally saw it a few days ago. Can't believe it took me such a long time! Amazing movie, great acting, beautiful scenery, brilliant music.. I love "The wings" song. In a word, wonderful!

The Road goes ever on and on...

July 12, 2013 12:22 pm  #219

I desperately want to see this!

July 15, 2013 5:20 pm  #220

Deilenn wrote:

Brokeback Mountain. I've been thinking about watching it for a few years(!) and finally saw it a few days ago. Can't believe it took me such a long time! Amazing movie, great acting, beautiful scenery, brilliant music.. I love "The wings" song. In a word, wonderful!

In my opinion, it is one of the best movies ever. I saw it in the cinema at that time. It was one of the rare occasions, a movie touched me with such impact, that it toot several days to overcome the sad feelings.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

Board footera