BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 1, 2013 4:21 pm  #41

Re: Noticed any mistakes?

In SiP Stamford mentions teaching at Barts, referring to "bright young things" "like we used to be" = undergraduates.
There is some post-graduate teaching at Barts but you don't go straight from undergrad to post-grad teaching; you're a few years into your career before you apply, heading toward your thirties in terms of age... unlikely to be referred to as "bright young things".
And on the CV it says "Kings College London" "MBBS" - i.e.  his undergraduate medical qualification.
His employment history includes UCH and Broomfield; no mention of Barts.

I'm a Barts medical student. I care about these things 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

We met twice, five minutes in total. I pulled a gun, he tried to blow me up. I felt we had a special something.

Icon credit: wraith816 @ livejournal

June 1, 2013 9:49 pm  #42

Hmm...Broomfield! I've been in that hospital! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 1, 2013 10:58 pm  #43

^ Was it as dodgy as its reputation? It's one of the hospitals Barts students train at, but I've never been placed there... just heard things...

Last edited by bohemia (June 1, 2013 10:58 pm)

We met twice, five minutes in total. I pulled a gun, he tried to blow me up. I felt we had a special something.

June 2, 2013 7:00 am  #44

I was in the St. Andrew's block having some nifty hand surgery done on a nasty dog bite. It was actually really pretty good there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 2, 2013 7:14 am  #45

My sister was cured of her ovarian cancer at St Barts.  They saved her life.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 2, 2013 2:01 pm  #46

^ Barts have a brilliant reputation, and they're a national centre for excellence in cancer. Glad to hear that your sister is OK.
Broomfield is one of the hospitals that has featured in the media due to less-than-wonderful standards of care. Really pleased you had a good experience Davina. Dog bite?! Yeesh, nasty!

June 2, 2013 6:28 pm  #47

10 stitches nasty! The micro surgeons there were just great! Basildon hospital has had a lot more bad press locally than Broomfield (at least recently).

June 16, 2013 1:51 am  #48

regarding the misproununciation of Hangzhou, If Sherlock had only read the word, no particular reason to say it correctly, he doesn't speak mandarin, or any other dialect.
also, why he didn't name the cipher and recognize it until John pointed out it was a number system, is probably because it was in a dusty drawer in his mind palace.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beware of dragons for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup

Dr. Horribles sing along blog
You people all have to learn
This world is going to burn
Burn
(yeah, it’s two r’s. H, O, R, R, yeah right.)
Burn

June 16, 2013 2:11 am  #49

That's one of the several things that bothered me about this episode.  He has several chinese things in his apartment (above his bed, in his living room)...but then it takes him so long to recognize the language of it.  I know that Hangzhou is different in some characteristics from Traditional and Simplified forms (as well as Kanji and Kanja), but the 一 (one) is the same across all of them, and some of the others are similar in ways, as well.  I would have thought he would have noticed a connection of sorts and looked it up.  Just a small gripe, lol.

I reeeeally didn't like the ending with the ridiculously huge spear shooting thing down in a tunnel just to threaten people (I laughed so hard).  Why drag it down there if a gun will work?

I loved the humor in the episode, though.  Very funny in parts.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

June 16, 2013 2:12 am  #50

They could so easily ask a scientist to help them to come up with semi-believable fudges for the short comings, and again it would take two ticks. Eg Baskerville could have a secret superfast HPLC machine using which Sherlock could discover there really is nothing but sugar and water in the solution of Henry's sugar very quickly and a million times more plausibly than 'looking down a microscope' and flashing the word hydrogen and chemical formula for water at us.

The crystaline form of sugar is reasonably distinctive under a microscope.  Had the sugar been adulterated with a drug, it would alter the crystals.  It certainly wouldn't tell him *what it was adulterated with, but it would prove him right.

(Salt is of course far more easily identified as it breaks down and recrystalizes as a cube).

I do agree that 99% of the science is pure rubbish, especially in TRF.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beware of dragons for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup

Dr. Horribles sing along blog
You people all have to learn
This world is going to burn
Burn
(yeah, it’s two r’s. H, O, R, R, yeah right.)
Burn

June 16, 2013 12:48 pm  #51

sj4iy wrote:

I reeeeally didn't like the ending with the ridiculously huge spear shooting thing down in a tunnel just to threaten people (I laughed so hard).  Why drag it down there if a gun will work?

I don't know for sure, but I got the impression that it is supposed to be a parallel to the roof scene when Sherlock has to solve the problem just in time to rescue John. John is called to see Mrs. H. and drives back. 20 minutes for Sherlock to free himself from the chains. The sand pours down while John drives to the hospital. Sarah is the victim who will die when John can't tell where the jade pin is. In TBB Sherlock is the one who drives in the cab. In TRF it is John.
In TRF John will die when Sherlock can't make Jim call off the killer(s) just in time before John arrives in front of the hospital entrance.
The circus scene is done for us to get an explanation from Sherlock to apply it to TRF.

June 16, 2013 4:34 pm  #52

Be wrote:

sj4iy wrote:

I don't know for sure, but I got the impression that it is supposed to be a parallel to the roof scene when Sherlock has to solve the problem just in time to rescue John. John is called to see Mrs. H. and drives back. 20 minutes for Sherlock to free himself from the chains. The sand pours down while John drives to the hospital. Sarah is the victim who will die when John can't tell where the jade pin is. In TBB Sherlock is the one who drives in the cab. In TRF it is John.
In TRF John will die when Sherlock can't make Jim call off the killer(s) just in time before John arrives in front of the hospital entrance.
The circus scene is done for us to get an explanation from Sherlock to apply it to TRF.

Hmm...don't know if I agree with that parallel, but it's an interesting take on it.  I just think they did it for the "countdown"...but it's done in a really unplausible way.  I'm not really sure where they even attach the sandbag, because it's a brick tunnel.  Drilling into the top of a large brick tunnel is a lot of work just to threaten people who are obviously scared by a gun pointed at them.  I don't think the writers write things as "hints" to the next season, since they are written so far apart in general.  The original stories didn't really do that, either.  They were in episodic in nature.

TRF actually follows the canon precisely as far as John leaving because of an emergency, which happens in the story.  The difference being that when Watson comes back in the story, Sherlock and Moriarty are already gone, with Sherlock having left a note.  Of course, John comes back and Sherlock "gives" him the note via phone call.  They had to change it because, thanks to the original stories, no one believes someone is dead if they have simply disappeared in fiction.  No one would believe that Sherlock was dead anyway, because he's the title character...which is why they didn't focus on that.  They focused on "how he did it" instead of "is he alive?" by showing him at the end of the episode (brilliant, imo).

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.

June 16, 2013 4:43 pm  #53

We need to remember that series 1 was written stand alone, they did not know they were going to be granted future series.
When series 2 was written, they knew they also had to write series 3.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 17, 2013 7:59 am  #54

besleybean wrote:

We need to remember that series 1 was written stand alone, they did not know they were going to be granted future series.

They lie to us.
I don't believe that series 1 was written stand alone. The whole story arc is a puzzle. Look at the thread about the parallels between ASiP and TRF. They knew exactly what they were doing. They planted the clues for TRF everywhere even in ASIP.
They admitted that series two and three were commissioned together. I think they had the whole three series commissioned from the start.

Last edited by Be (June 17, 2013 9:25 am)

June 17, 2013 11:49 am  #55

Be wrote:

besleybean wrote:

They lie to us.
I don't believe that series 1 was written stand alone. The whole story arc is a puzzle. Look at the thread about the parallels between ASiP and TRF. They knew exactly what they were doing. They planted the clues for TRF everywhere even in ASIP.
They admitted that series two and three were commissioned together. I think they had the whole three series commissioned from the start.

They will lie to us about clues and hints, but they can't lie about having a second season before they even aired the first.  If you don't get the ratings, you don't get another chance.

June 17, 2013 12:19 pm  #56

Let's wait and see.
They must have worked on it for years . They admitted it. It is a piece of art, IMO. No way that is was just one season with this cliff hanger at the pool. They didn't expect that it would be such a success.

John in TBB: It is not a circus. Look at the seize of the crowd. This is art.

June 17, 2013 12:46 pm  #57

Be wrote:

Let's wait and see.
They must have worked on it for years . They admitted it. It is a piece of art, IMO. No way that is was just one season with this cliff hanger at the pool. They didn't expect that it would be such a success.

John in TBB: It is not a circus. Look at the seize of the crowd. This is art.

For me, what I see connecting all of the episodes together is the character growth and their relationship arcs.  Sherlock goes from an uncaring a**hole to somoene who will risk his life to save his friends.  John goes from a lonely man without any friends or family to someone who finds new life and excitement with a man that no one else could see what he sees in him.  They both learn to trust others, especially each other.  They might reference back to an earlier case, but they aren't going to rehash it.  They only have three episodes per series...and so many stories to choose from that they don't have to.

June 17, 2013 3:58 pm  #58

And we know the titles of 2  out of series 3 already.
Plus some of the guest actors.

June 20, 2013 7:32 pm  #59

I hope they tell us the title of episode 3 in series 3.

Last edited by sj4iy (June 20, 2013 7:38 pm)

June 20, 2013 7:34 pm  #60

I guess we'll know it when they are about to film it.

Board footera