BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 9, 2012 11:46 am  #21

Re: Why do people find this episode so emotional/hard to watch?

tobeornot221b wrote:

Having rewatched Reichenbach several times now (you really don't want to know how many times exactly! ) the hardest thing to bear is that I feel so sorry for John.

In addition to his grief about the loss of his best friend there has to be some sort of feeling of guilt.
Remember that his last words to Sherlock in the lab before leaving for Mrs. Hudson were:
"Friends protect people."
Due to the imminent events the worst thing he could possibly have said.
He must ask himself after the fall: "If I had been there – could I possibly have saved Sherlock like I did the other day?"

In his context I understand his "I'm angry." at the cemetery.
Yes, it's not in the sense Mrs Hudson explained HER being angry with Sherlock (though her complaints about Sherlock's bad manners like the marks-on-the-table thing certainly are her way to come to terms with her grief, I think!). John's angry because Sherlock left him no chance to save him.
Grief plus feelings of guilt: The worst combination. Poor John. I so feel for him.
(Even worse: All that will turn out in the end as having been totally unnecessary…)

I find your thoughts here very interesting. I have watched my favorite parts of TRF about 15 times, no lie, and I've watched the entire episode through about 5. I just ordered the DVDs-- decided to stop fooling around, pay the 40ish bucks for the two seasons from amazon, and just do it, lol.

Yes, John. God love him. What a mess. And IMO Sherlock knew what he was doing to him, and felt it had to be done. Standing up on the roof edge, tears streaming and dripping, face twisted up, "I'm a fake. Tell everyone who will listen...." Poor John couldn't say much besides, "No!" and, "What?" So helpless. And then the final, "SHERLOCK!", watching his friend fall to his death right before his helpless eyes. Terrible. The writer(s) of the show couldn't have dragged the fans over the coals any more thoroughly, could they.

If John thinks he's "angry" about Sherlock doing what he did, wait'll he looks up one day and the man is standing in front of him! Whoa, mama....  I don't know what the writers have planned for them, but I know John is one tough son of a bitch (they both are), and I don't think it's going to be pretty. Or easy. And why should it be? Look what that f-ing Moriarty forced Sherlock to do, to both of them! 

John is going through hell, and he's lonely and pissed off and feeling helpless (men hate feeling helpless, even on a good day). I hope he's not feeling guilty-- I mean, what the hell could he have done to change anything? He knows Sherlock is his own man, his own country, and Sherlock will do (and say and be) what Sherlock will do (and say and be), no matter what. He is what he is, and as he said, "I can't just turn it on and off like a tap, you know." Sherlock sent John away that day, needed him to be busy and distracted and somewhere else while he did what he had to, and John couldn't have known what was going down-- nothing to feel guilty about. I do realize that guilt can be an irrational emotion, not based on truth or actual events, but even still-- what could he have done, when Sherlock didn't want him there?

<<<Grief plus feelings of guilt: The worst combination>>>  Especially mixed with regret. Awful.

Lord, I love this episode. So much hurt.... but I'm gobsmacked that we have to wait another year for the comfort we (and John and Sherlock and Mrs. Hudson and Lestrade and Molly) need so bad.

July 9, 2012 3:26 pm  #22

What I find interesting, on my rewatching, is that there is practically nothing in the episode that I want to fast-forward through.  I've watched the entire episode at least 10 times.  Of course, I'll replay the best scenes...

Yes, John will be angry when Sherlock returns...that vein in his forehead will surely pop this time!   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was worth a wound–it was worth many wounds–to know the depth of loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain. All my years of humble but single-minded service culminated in that moment of revelation.

July 9, 2012 4:04 pm  #23

Fetchinketch wrote:

What I find interesting, on my rewatching, is that there is practically nothing in the episode that I want to fast-forward through.  I've watched the entire episode at least 10 times.  Of course, I'll replay the best scenes...

Yes, John will be angry when Sherlock returns...that vein in his forehead will surely pop this time!   

I FF over that scene where Kitty meets up with Sherlock in the men's. I love certain lines in that scene (the two kinds of fans thing, for instance), but for some reason, having seen it through 3 or 4 times, that was enough.

I can never see the whole thing in Kitty's apartment often enough. Moriarty on the throne, "No rush." The "note" phone call with John on the rooftop. The cemetery scene, "One more miracle, Sherlock, for me. Don't. Be. Dead. Just stop it...stop this." Preparing to go out to the police car for the ride to court, trotting down the stairs together, and then in the car, "Intelligent, fine, but let's give smartass a wide berth....are you listening to me?" And later, "What did I say? I said don't get clever."  The bit where John pops the police inspector in the nose for calling Sherlock a weirdo and a vigilante. Oh, and the humorous bits in the beginning, when S is being such a little dick about receiving the gifts from his grateful public. And putting on the deerstalker hat, "Just get it over with...." And the scene back at 221B, with Sherlock accosting the hat, "What is it? Why does it have two fronts? Is it a death frisbee? It has ear flaps, it's an ear hat, John!"  Bachelor John Watson. CONFIRMED bachelor John Watson. "What in hell are they implying?"   lolololol

Last edited by ancientsgate (July 10, 2012 1:20 pm)

July 9, 2012 5:48 pm  #24

A deerslayer hat sounds so violent!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 9, 2012 10:28 pm  #25

Davina wrote:

A deerslayer hat sounds so violent!

"It has ear flaps! It's an ear hat, John!"   Or a death frisbee, lololol

July 10, 2012 6:29 am  #26

You did mean deerstalker though didn't you? Lol.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 10, 2012 1:21 pm  #27

Davina wrote:

You did mean deerstalker though didn't you? Lol.

Yep. Typo. Went back and fixed it for posterity there in that post.

July 12, 2012 9:29 am  #28

I often fast forward the parts with John at the psychiatrist...makes me want to cry!

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 12, 2012 10:30 am  #29

If I watch it on TV, I cry when there are ad breaks.
Does that count?

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 12, 2012 10:38 am  #30

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

I often fast forward the parts with John at the psychiatrist...makes me want to cry!

Noooo SH.....that's one of the best parts!  It takes us all the way back to the beginning when he looked so sad and haunted when we first met him in series 1.  It's where so many of the "feels" come from.  We gotta have the feels!

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

July 12, 2012 3:42 pm  #31

KeepersPrice wrote:

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Noooo SH.....that's one of the best parts!  It takes us all the way back to the beginning when he looked so sad and haunted when we first met him in series 1.  It's where so many of the "feels" come from.  We gotta have the feels!

You enjoy the feels? You're a sadist!

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

October 6, 2012 8:39 pm  #32

It's just for poor John...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 15, 2013 9:45 pm  #33

What kills me too, is John. Rewatched it tonight for the second time (hey, I've only been a fan a week and a half) and that scene with his therapist - shit, I was a mess before the opening titles started rolling...I then blubbed like a fool as John sat gazing at Sherlock's empty chair and then at his grave. I did watch everything so much closer this time especially the last 20 mins trying to gleen clues from Sherlock and what he was planning.

Not sure where to add this comment but - Sherlock acts too "dumb" on the rooftop when talking to Moriarty right up until he starts laughing and then steps off the ledge - then it's like having the true Sherloc back... Damn the writers, we need to know every detail of that plan in ep 1 of series 3 or I shall implode.

"He will outlive God trying to have the last word."

June 17, 2013 1:51 am  #34

IMHO - John is angry at Sherlock for the cowardly sin of commiting suicide.  He of course doesn't know it was faked, but survivors often are angry at the people who have chosen to suicide.

I read in an interview that Benedict cried when he watched the roof top scene.  He said that they were miked so he and Martin could hear each other, but visually they were just blobs to each other.  Watching the final cut, being able to see Martin reacting, looking like he'd been kicked by a horse when he first sees Sherlock on the roof - he cried.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beware of dragons for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup

Dr. Horribles sing along blog
You people all have to learn
This world is going to burn
Burn
(yeah, it’s two r’s. H, O, R, R, yeah right.)
Burn

June 17, 2013 2:07 am  #35

Well, I liked that they didn't make it a "is he or isn't he dead?" cliffhanger, because really...even those who didn't read the stories would be thinking "eh, he's not dead".  Instead, they made it a "how did he survive?" cliffhanger, which I think was way more awesome.  Lots of debate, opinions and rewatching involved with that

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

June 17, 2013 7:28 am  #36

I think one important reason that this episode hard to watch is the impact of the film music.
It creates an enormous physical tension.
As a consequence, heartbeat and breath go boink 

Last edited by Harriet (June 17, 2013 7:33 am)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

June 17, 2013 12:24 pm  #37

I was so swept up in the excitement of it all that I really wasn't sad at all...I was just immediately preoccupied by how he did it, even before we saw him at the end.  I've always enjoyed these types of "set-up fugitive" stories (The Fugitive is one of my favorites XD), so I was just loving the whole thing.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

June 17, 2013 3:29 pm  #38

I fully agree with all you said.

@butterfly: Really? I didn't know that. Oh my god... *feels* 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

July 22, 2013 3:49 am  #39

Just rewatched it tonight for the fifth time... the end was all blurry cause I was looking through my tears...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I'm not a hero. I'm a high functioning sociapath! MERRY CHRISTMAS!"

~Sherlock Holmes, His Last Vow

"Hello, little brother. Enjoying your exile?"

"I've only been gone four minutes!"

~Mycroft and Sherlock Holmes, His Last Vow

July 29, 2013 2:41 pm  #40

I know that this isn't the right place to post this, but can you imagine what it would be like playing poker against Sherlock?  LOL

============================================================
"The name's Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221b Baker Street. Afternoon..."

Sherlock: You're a doctor. In fact you're an army doctor.
Watson: Yes.
Sherlock: Any good?
Watson: Very good.
Sherlock: Seen a lot of injuries then. Violent deaths.
Watson: Well. Yes.
Sherlock: Bit of trouble too I bet.
Watson: Of course. Yes. Enough for a lifetime. Far too much.
Sherlock: Wanna see some more?
Watson: Oh god yes.

Board footera