BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 7, 2012 4:49 am  #21

Re: National Theatre "Live"- Frankenstein

Apparently only two cinemas in Germany showing Frankenstein. Both out of my reach...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 7, 2012 7:37 pm  #22

Yes, I know!
Initially they wanted to do one in Düsseldorf which would have been GREAT because that's not too far away from where I live. Such a shame..

June 7, 2012 7:39 pm  #23

Yes, I was hoping for Düsseldorf, too...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 9, 2012 7:37 pm  #24

I'd love to hear what other folks think, if/ and as they do get to see these shows.  Some of my thoughts:  (spoilers ahead if you don't care to read about these)

The set and lighting design, and the transitions were superb.   I thought both JLM and BC were outstanding,  though supporting acting roles I found to be a bit uneven.  Slight differences in casting between the 2 versions (younger brother William).   I did enjoy the curtain calls.

As for preferences in the dual roles performances?  They both had strengths- we are so used to seeing BC as Sherlock, that some of the scenes with him as Victor are seamless and familiar.  And as we know, his presence alone is riveting.  One of the themes is highlighting the easy emerging humanity in the creature that's lacking in his creator.  Both actors have some amazing strengths that can pull this off.

My preference?  Early creature maybe JLM, older creature definitely BC .  An interesting short film clip was shown before the performance, taken during rehearsals/etc.  JLM attributing his 2-year old to some of his interpretation,  BC mentioning visiting trauma recovery wards and watching people relearn to use their bodies.  Helps to explain JLM's  childlike wonder,  BC so intellectually fascinated by every new thing.

Here were my notes:   

JLM -                       BC -
soulful                     other-worldly
scarier guy               stranger guy
bursts of energy        elegantly tangled
thick voiced              primal sounding
sensuous                  fluidly spinning
spark plug                chest thumping
amazing eyes            heartbreaking
surprising                 brilliant
lovely                      lovely

June 9, 2012 8:16 pm  #25

Thank you for posting this. We enjoyed reading the summary comparisons.

Lucky you!

October 7, 2012 4:54 pm  #26

Seen both. 
Benedict as Creature x3!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 13, 2013 8:14 pm  #27

Yay! Apparently, there will be more encore international Frankenstein screenings from October 31, 2013.
http://ntlive.nationaltheatre.org.uk/productions/16546-frankenstein

I'm so hoping that I will be lucky to see it this time!

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 13, 2013 8:16 pm  #28

Count me in, Tobe! 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 13, 2013 8:43 pm  #29

tobeornot221b wrote:

Yay! Apparently, there will be more encore international Frankenstein screenings from October 31, 2013.

I'm trying to find the venues it's playing in, but the site isn't working :/

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

June 13, 2013 8:44 pm  #30

Likewise!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 13, 2013 8:46 pm  #31

The site seems to be a bit overloaded currently. Wonder why...

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 13, 2013 9:19 pm  #32

tobeornot221b wrote:

The site seems to be a bit overloaded currently. Wonder why...

Could be the site is overloaded due to this evening's much anticipated live broadcast of 'The Audience'- ?
probably just now over.

June 13, 2013 9:22 pm  #33

Thank you for the information. I had the same problem. So let's wait patiently for the venues. I really hope there will be one not only in Germany but also not too far from where I live. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 13, 2013 10:57 pm  #34

Which would people rather see?  BC as Victor or Adam?

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.

June 14, 2013 2:54 am  #35

sj4iy wrote:

Which would people rather see?  BC as Victor or Adam?

That's a difficult question.  Personally I think he's most suited to the role of Victor.  But as Adam, hey, he's naked.   

This is one of those things that make me wish I had come to Sherlock fandom earlier.   This would've been amazing to see in a theater.  Of course I would've sold a limb for the chance to see it live in London.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 14, 2013 5:41 am  #36

Will always regret not seeing Frankenstein live. But I've seen the film 4x.
3x with Benedict as The Creature.

June 14, 2013 7:23 am  #37

tobeornot221b wrote:

Oh... oh my goodness...     Despite being in the fandom when they did the last round of screenings (last summer I think it was?), I wasn't on this board then to have heard, or saw it mentioned anywhere else, for some reason.  Months later was simultaneously amazed to hear about such a production (and how they did it), and so disappointed, even though no idea if any city near me had even carried it.  Thank you for this!  Please please please let them do so near here this time!!!      

And assuming either version would be equally easily available (and considering it might be a trek, getting to only pick one), I'd probably rather see......  oi, have no idea!  I know there's plenty of you who luckily got to see both or adore one over the other despite both those guys being amazing switching between, in their own ways (jenosborn's past listing of qualities definitely sounds right).  Honestly...   Ben sounds perfectly suited to the passionate brilliant scientist part, and Jonny really good in either... but the tiny little bits of clips and pictures I've seen, I was just so caught by Ben's familiar elegant intensity and strangeness channeled into the Creature, that one's kind of pulling attention more.  Was that about right to the experience some of you got? 

(Man, this fall/winter is turning out to be a cornucopia of stuff for us!!)

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

June 14, 2013 7:53 am  #38

More screenings?!?!?   It's like they could actually hear me begging!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 14, 2013 4:18 pm  #39

Is it just me or is the site extremely user unfriendly?!
Can't seem to find if my local venue is screening anyway

June 14, 2013 4:34 pm  #40

Russell wrote:

tobeornot221b wrote:

Oh... oh my goodness... Despite being in the fandom when they did the last round of screenings (last summer I think it was?), I wasn't on this board then to have heard, or saw it mentioned anywhere else, for some reason. Months later was simultaneously amazed to hear about such a production (and how they did it), and so disappointed, even though no idea if any city near me had even carried it. Thank you for this! Please please please let them do so near here this time!!!

And assuming either version would be equally easily available (and considering it might be a trek, getting to only pick one), I'd probably rather see...... oi, have no idea! I know there's plenty of you who luckily got to see both or adore one over the other despite both those guys being amazing switching between, in their own ways (jenosborn's past listing of qualities definitely sounds right). Honestly... Ben sounds perfectly suited to the passionate brilliant scientist part, and Jonny really good in either... but the tiny little bits of clips and pictures I've seen, I was just so caught by Ben's familiar elegant intensity and strangeness channeled into the Creature, that one's kind of pulling attention more. Was that about right to the experience some of you got?

(Man, this fall/winter is turning out to be a cornucopia of stuff for us!!)

I just absolute clicked with the version of BC as Frankenstein, for some reason.  He was excellent in both, but if I get to see it this time around and have a choice, I want to see him as the scientist

Edit: I will say that BC was more manic and unpredictable as the creature.  He would go from rage to infantile in a split second.  He and JLM play both parts so differently that the show is completely new from one to the next.

Last edited by sj4iy (June 14, 2013 4:40 pm)

Board footera