BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 11, 2013 9:57 pm  #81

Re: whats your favourite part of this episode??

That turned out well, then!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 11, 2013 10:18 pm  #82

In addition, Mycroft is not very easy to get. Even for Moriarty.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 12, 2013 12:43 am  #83

Mrs.Wenceslas wrote:

so you think that Mycroft knew exactly what he was doing, telling Moriarty all the things? he has to know that his brother is alive then..but if he knew all those things, why would he ask John to look after Sherlock? eh, I´m getting to my own traps now, better go to bed 

"my only confident was my brother mycroft" it says in "the empty house"....

January 12, 2013 4:21 am  #84

anjaH_alias wrote:

Mrs.Wenceslas wrote:

so you think that Mycroft knew exactly what he was doing, telling Moriarty all the things? he has to know that his brother is alive then..but if he knew all those things, why would he ask John to look after Sherlock? eh, I´m getting to my own traps now, better go to bed

"my only confident was my brother mycroft" it says in "the empty house"....

In the canon it's understandable. In view of their complicated relationship here, his involvement in Sherlock's faked death should be done without compromising it, and Sherlock's ego as well.

January 12, 2013 1:38 pm  #85

Well, in the canon it is suggested (or maybe it's just me, but I got that vibe) that Sherlock and Mycroft aren't really all that close either. 
They are friendly, most of the time, but it can't be compared to Holmes' friendship with Watson.
I think that despite their differences, Sherlock still cares about Mycroft and might just trust him enough to tell him about his plans.
In the canon, Mycroft makes sure that Sherlock's rooms in Baker Street are still there, doesn't he? It's been a while since I read that book
So I think that maybe, Mycroft will help Sherlock in the series, too. It would make sense to me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You look sad when you think he can't see you."

January 21, 2013 9:48 pm  #86

My favorite part is the mind palace scene. It's almost poetry in motion and it feels like we're privy to a very private moment of Sherlock's. And of course it's very impressive, another of those scenes that make you feel like indeed brainy is very sexy. And that triple thud at the end, looks like he's a little stunned when he gets the final revelation, not unlike the triple thud I experience when I look at some pictures...:D

Last edited by biscuitbear (January 21, 2013 9:49 pm)

January 23, 2013 7:39 pm  #87

favourite scene: John's reaction when he figures out that Sherlock has used him as a lab rat. This guy, we know can kill with one hand behind his back & he produces the tamest attack on his friend who nearly scared him to death. 

Last edited by saturnR (January 23, 2013 7:40 pm)

January 24, 2013 11:31 pm  #88

My first favorite part is Russel Tovey as a man being plagued by a giant demonic hound. Especially after Being Human. Great nod to a wonderful actor!

Actually, there is so much to this story I really like. At first I really didn't think I would appreciate it much, since it was the very first of the Canon stories I ever read...but once it unfolded it was genius. I think my favorite thing about it (besides so much you all have already mentioned!) is the Army base. Reminds me of all those Conspiracy-UFO-type movies and stories out there. Having scientists messing around with DNA-switching, etc really set the scene.

Last edited by crazybbcamerican (January 24, 2013 11:51 pm)

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

March 4, 2013 1:30 pm  #89

My favourite part wasn´t mentioned here yet, I think. It´s about 10 minutes long, starts with the second time Sherlock stands on that Dartmoor hill (the morning after his long fear-monologue at the fire place). You hear a knocking, somebody´s knocking at a door and Sherlock turns around on that hill as if the door is right behind him (I love that!). Cut. It´s Sherlock himself knocking at Henry Knight´s door, and after a little Sherlock-like small talk ("Look, there´s damp") he offers to make a coffee and walks straight into Henry Knight´s kitchen. Like a hyperactive wind-up toy he opens doors and closes them quickly again (we know why ). Henry shuffles behind him - I love these contrasts between this extremely alert Sherlock on the one side and the shuffling moaning Henry Knight on the other side.
This scene leads directly into that one with Sherlock apologing to John, and meeting "Greg" Lestrade - so great! But I love the beginning of that long extract most.

March 9, 2013 6:40 pm  #90

I like the beginning scene when he's all hyper and freaking out. I like the way he explains things when he's psychotic. 

"I demand to be incarcerated in the Tower immediately! With my co-conspirators, Sandshoes and Grandad"
"If you really are me, with your Sandshoes and your Dicky bow, then that calculation is still going on."
"Well, me and Chinny, we were surprised, but you came looking for us."

April 4, 2013 1:56 am  #91

As of yesterday, when it made my old man jump out of his skin..the part in the lab where poor John is hiding from the 'monster'. Ha!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 12, 2013 5:19 pm  #92

re mycroft and why didn't moriaty go for him. I don't know, I've wondered this too but my hunch is that he knows mycroft to be cold enough and calculating enough and for Sherlock's relationship with him to be enough of the little brother to possibly consider it a fair exchange. I'm not explaining it well really, but I think if you have a little brother it might make sense better. Older siblings generally do more for younger ones. Sherlock might not sacrifice himself for Mycroft though Mycroft probably would for Sherlock. 

Also, there is the minor point that getting at Mycroft, in the Diogenes Club, would possibly not be that easy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

April 22, 2013 10:57 pm  #93

Can't pick just one.  There's John pulling rank and Sherlock grinning about it.  Sherlock timing Mycroft to see how long it will take him to figure out his badge is being used, John calling Sherlock "Spock" because Sherlock was quoting Spock who was quoting the canon stories.  Sherlock telling John he just had one friend, Sherlock finding out Lestrade's first name is Greg. And John being relaxed while Sherlock is frantically searching for his cigarettes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."
Whoa.  Sherlock was quoting Spock who was quoting Sherlock....Mind blown!!

April 24, 2013 1:53 pm  #94

I love scene in lab:Sherlock telling John that it's OK and John's reaction. 
I like Sherlock reaction to info that Lestrade's name is Greg.
In this episode was so many great scenes. 
But my favourite moment is when Sherlock says that he hasn't got friends,just got one and John doesn't say anything at first, then, he says 'Right' and goes away.

Science has not yet taught us if madness is or is not the sublimity of the intelligence.

May 21, 2013 12:27 pm  #95

Oh that's tricky...I have many different fav scenes, little moments, etc. Here are just a few I can think of atm (I really need to watch the series again); the part in the Inn where the guy asks John "Is yours a snorer?" Johns reaction, so funny and cute I think . Like Marheri above me said, the scene in the lab with Sherlock telling John it's ok and Johns reaction. And the part with John and Sherlock by the fire and Sherlock is overcome with emotion and confusion after having "seen the hound", and then the next day where he sees John in the graveyard and talks to him and says "I don't have friends, I've just got one." ...I do believe I caught my breath and my heart jumped a little when I heard that! And of course, when John just walks away so awesome and almost Hobbit like and Sherlock calls after him. Oh, and a bit later when Sherlock hands John the cup of coffee, great moment there. And also when Lestrade first shows up, Sherlock is hilarious! 

-------------------------------------------------------

May 27, 2013 12:43 am  #96

John:  "You went on the Tube like that?!"
Sherlock:  "None of the cabs would take me."

Someday I want to go to a convention and see someone dressed as Bloody Harpoon Sherlock.  I will force them to pose for a photo with me.
That is all.

Anna M.C.

---------------------------------------------------------

Will happily pay the annual license fee for legal US iPlayer access. BBC lawyers, *please* take my money.

May 29, 2013 2:23 pm  #97

I like almost everything in this episode because of the relationship stuff.

The scene at the beginning when Sherlock figured out how to get John to reveal where the cigarettes are is very funny.
Sherlock knows that John doesn't want to go investigating on his own. So he pretends not to care about John's company. Which is a bluff of course.
Sherlock is pulling "The Face". John knows that he has lost and must go and fetch the cigarettes and so he walks across the room akwardly.

June 2, 2013 10:05 pm  #98

After reading this I need to rewatch this episode urgently.
What I do remember is that the Liberty Indiana H.O.U.N.D. mind palace sequence is so well made. The acting and on screen bits are just done to perfection.

June 3, 2013 7:10 pm  #99

Mycroft's face, when he received the message, about Sherlocks intrusion in Baskerville - one of my favorite ROFL-moments !

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

June 13, 2013 8:27 pm  #100

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

It did kind of look like it was about to attack them though. It was a pretty vicious dog.

The poor dog (who in the very end, after it was killed looked like a perfectly norma rottweiler) has been exposed over and over to the gas.  If it can drive a person insane, what will it do to a dog?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beware of dragons for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup

Dr. Horribles sing along blog
You people all have to learn
This world is going to burn
Burn
(yeah, it’s two r’s. H, O, R, R, yeah right.)
Burn

Board footera