BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 9, 2013 11:22 pm  #181

Re: Recently watched movies.

Um okay, maybe I have seen bits and pieces of LoA, although I have no clear memory of the film. That clip however is quite familiar. I remember trying that same trick as a child. Now as an adult I can do this bit with a match quite easily and without pain due to frost bite on my hands as a kid, and somehow that scene is still clear in my mind. Hmmm. I'll have to rent the film and watch it to see how much of it I remember.

"I may be on the side of the angels,
but don't think for one second that I am one of them."

April 9, 2013 11:40 pm  #182

LoA... one of the best movies in world!  A must see...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

April 10, 2013 6:47 am  #183

KP, you're so right. 
Davina, what a classic scene. Short, but important.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 10, 2013 8:15 am  #184

Of course the infamous part of the LofA story is the inference of his being gang raped.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 10, 2013 8:23 am  #185

That and the fact (which isn't shown in the film but clearly mentioned in the book) that he was sexually aroused when being beaten. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 10, 2013 8:35 am  #186

Which apparently isn't uncommon.(Shivers at thought).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 10, 2013 9:08 am  #187

No, it isn't but I was very surprised to read it in a book published in 1922 by a man who was very secretive about his private life. 

April 17, 2013 9:22 pm  #188

The 3D re-release of Jurassic Park.

Which means I also got to see a 3D trailer for the upcoming Star Trek movie.
Benedict on a huge screen with surround sound and in 3D.
Oh my, yes.

Last edited by Sampy Arctica (April 17, 2013 9:22 pm)

------------------------------------------
There's no shortcut to a dream. It's all blood and sweat and life is what you manage in between.

April 17, 2013 9:48 pm  #189

I've already seen 100+ movies this year, I think this might turn out the be the most fruitful year movie-watching-wise yet. Saw OBLIVION a few days ago. There were some artistically majestic vistas and great soundtrack, Olga was as cute as ever but other than that it was pretty much just a melting pot of other movies (2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY, MOON, THE PLANET OF THE APES, THE MATRIX etc) and it didn't have much identity of its own. A watchable movie but nothing compared to DISTRICT 9 for example. When it comes to scifi-films, I'm putting my bets on the upcoming INTERSTELLAR, AVATAR 2, ELYSIUM and PACIFIC RIM.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

April 28, 2013 8:13 pm  #190

Watched Amierican Psycho the other night. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Christian Bale was just brilliant in the lead and I found the satire to be sharp and accurate. It is 12 years old now and I don't know why I hadn't seen it before. Some parts made me laugh out loud. The use of music was classic. I was also thinking that Heath Ledger's masterful Joker might have owed just a little to this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 30, 2013 4:37 am  #191

Watched my all-time favourite movie from childhood again last night...

Robin Hood: Men in Tights!

Will forever be a classic, to me.

------------------------------------------
There's no shortcut to a dream. It's all blood and sweat and life is what you manage in between.

April 30, 2013 6:42 am  #192

Such a funny film. My girlie and I are off to watch Olympus Has Fallen tonight. I'll put what I think about it here when I get a chance I.e. if I remember to do so.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 1, 2013 7:02 am  #193

*Trying to keep this spolier free so it might seem a bit vague* Olympus Has Fallen (cert. 15 in UK). This has a premise a little like Die Hard. It is a well constructed film with clearly defined characterisations. There are one or two corny bits (why are Generals always idiots?) however I really liked it. It is violent but this is necessary to the plot. The plot itself is not too complex, which is sometimes a downfall with such films. The SFX are astonishing as is the general stunt work and fight co-ordination. The motivation for the protagonist is really well established before the 'incident' which allows him to redeem himself. Not the usual bad guys either. The attack happens in real time, exactly 13 minutes and is brilliant.

The intense violence as paced well between calmer, quieter scenes. There was a also a good sprinkling of humour throughout. The part that made me and girlie laugh aloud was the main character saying to the baddie about playing a game of f*** off. 'You start' cue cutting off phone.

Oh and  Gerard Butler is wonderful in it (only once, right at the end, when he is really, really cross can you hear his real accent slip out). You can totally believe that he is the character in this film and Nike similar films his character is not a 2-D cut out.

May 10, 2013 4:51 am  #194

So, after being in a 'phase' of catching up on various missed seasons of stuff, finally back to tackling the 'movies to watch' list and knocked out several the past week, getting to join the chatter here.  Pretty great pile overall, too, if any of you missed these!

'Brave' - another typically beautiful animation and story from Pixar.  Loved the move to another culture and the un-typical princess.  Then it somehow occurred to me with so many Pixar favorites, I had somehow never caught another favorite - 'Finding Nemo'!  Also definitely awesome.    Wonderful job going into the whole ocean world, and all the jokes.  Being a Studio Ghibli fan as well as Pixar for their equally great art and stories, I also tried their newest 'Secret Life of Arrietty'.  Based on 'The Borrowers' and thoroughly charming, if you like animated films.
Next was 'Black Swan' - another one always meant to see what the strangeness/hype was about.  And… wow…  very definitely Strange… stranger than I thought, yet intriguing, metaphorical, and well-crafted.  Still not sure what I imagine was her fate at the end...
The last two… well… let's just say I was working on getting around to the Martin Freeman films I had never seen before.  ;)   Let's hear it for 'Love Actually' and 'Wild Target'.     I was super surprised, actually.  Both because I had no idea what style film I was in for and really sweet (or hilarious) how they constructed them both, but also kind of a 'whoah, Martin!' feeling with those totally different roles.  ;D  Now I really wanna somehow find a copy of Nativity to see his appealing comedic side in a much bigger role!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

May 28, 2013 9:32 am  #195

Just finished watching Brideshead Revisited (2008) and was really moved by it. It is available on BBC I-player (for those of you with access). It has a strong cast with  Matthew Goode and Ben Whishaw, Emma Thompson, Hayley Atwell and Michael Gambon etc. my confession though, I actually thought that Hayley Atwell was Rebecca Hall the whole way through.

It got mixed reviews, apparently. I guess that is because there was an excellent 11 part TV adaptation back in the 1980s however I think any comparison is going to be a little unfair as they only have 2 hours for the film.

If you like well-written, beautifully filmed and well-acted drama then I can actually thoroughly recommend you watch this.

May 28, 2013 12:26 pm  #196

Remember Me: Wasn't expecting that ending O_O
Where The Wild Things Are: Confusing, but nice.
Memoirs of a Geisha: Wish I'd watched that sooner! Awesome.
Safe Haven: It was good. A bit predictable, but still good

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You look sad when you think he can't see you."

May 28, 2013 4:20 pm  #197

Mell92 wrote:

Where The Wild Things Are: Confusing, but nice.
Memoirs of a Geisha: Wish I'd watched that sooner! Awesome.

Oh, yes!  Memoirs was gorgeous, wasn't it??   And WTWTA... well... uh, at first I was curiously apprehensive when I heard about it, wondering how in the world they could make a feature-length film out of it, but hopeful, since I loved Sendak's work.  And yes, it was very well-made (of course, considering they worked with Henson's Muppet Studio), but awfully..... depressing?   Oh well...

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

June 3, 2013 10:11 am  #198

I saw The Great Gatsby!! I was impressed. Seriously. Leo is a genius. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You look sad when you think he can't see you."

June 3, 2013 10:34 am  #199

Of course Leo is 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

June 3, 2013 12:42 pm  #200

Harriet wrote:

Of course Leo is

There is something about those Leos … 

Board footera