BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 1, 2013 4:37 pm  #1

Sherlocked, obviously.

Hello everyone!
My name is Fi. I'm 27, live in London, currently a medical student (at Barts ).
Jumped on the Sherlock bandwagon a little late - as a student I don't own a TV, anything I watch is on my laptop and I have to go looking for it. As a result I didn't hear about Sherlock when the BBC first aired it and only looked it up on a friend's suggestion a few months ago. It took about 3 minutes and I was hooked.

I work part time for a company based around the corner from North Gower St where they film the exterior Baker Street scenes and managed to spot some of the recent filming for season 3. I also sweet talked one of the security staff at Barts into telling me when they'd be filming there, so I snuck out of my hospital placement early to watch some of that too. It's really hard to concentrate when you're in the library at Barts and you can hear "ACTION!" through the window!

I really tried to not get sucked into the Sherlock fandom... the last time this happened was with LOTR and it took over my life! It wasn't so bad then, I had a lot of spare time... but now I find myself re-watching Sherlock or browsing fanfic, tumblr etc. when I should be studying. Oops.

Anyway, looking forward to getting to know everyone

----------------------------------------------------------------------

We met twice, five minutes in total. I pulled a gun, he tried to blow me up. I felt we had a special something.

Icon credit: wraith816 @ livejournal

June 1, 2013 4:43 pm  #2

Re: Sherlocked, obviously.

Hello and welcome to the forum, bohemia! 

You're working at Bart's? That's fantastic! Even more so that you're noticing the filming in London! It's safe to say that I envy you. 
Anyway, have a lovely time here and enjoy yourself. Kettle's just boiled.

Greetings from Germany,
Mary

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

June 1, 2013 6:36 pm  #3

Hi bohemia.
I envy You so much. "It's really hard to concentrate when you're in the library at Barts and you can hear "ACTION!" through the window!" I think it is, but when You think about it now-do you regret thes emoments when You couldn't concentrate?
Anyway, I think being medical student must be hard work and I admire people who study something connected with Medicine.
Good to have You here.
Cheers from Poland.

Science has not yet taught us if madness is or is not the sublimity of the intelligence.

June 1, 2013 9:33 pm  #4

Hello and welcome to the forum bohemia. Good name choice by the way!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 2, 2013 2:09 pm  #5

Thank you, guys!
I don't work at Barts, per se... sometimes I get a placement there so spend time in the hospital itself, otherwise it's just other educational activities based in the Robin Brook Centre (there's a photo that I adore of Benedict getting into a car after filming right in front of RBC) and the library, which are right next to the old pathology building where stuff is filmed. Most of time is spent at other hospitals associated with the medical school (which, confusingly is also referred to as Barts).

Mary Me - I'm about to make a travesty of Brits everywhere when I say.. I don't like tea. But thank you ;)

Marheri - Well... the weekend they were filming wasn't close to any exams or anything, so it wasn't essential that I needed to concentrate. I've been told that the production team were advised that they couldn't film in mid-July because there are 300 of us sitting exams in the building next door, which is good of them to consider. I'm sure it wouldn't bother most people but any Sherlockians would have a really hard time focusing!

Davina - why, thank you!

We met twice, five minutes in total. I pulled a gun, he tried to blow me up. I felt we had a special something.

June 2, 2013 4:16 pm  #6

Welcome to the madness, Bohema. Nice to have you here. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 2, 2013 4:22 pm  #7

Oh that sounds awesome!  I am so tempted to skip over to London just to see if I can spot some filming...hehe  ​. Glad to have you here! Welcome to the forum 

-------------------------------------------------------

June 3, 2013 6:42 pm  #8

Oh god oh god, you don't know how long I've been waiting to finally meet someone who works (in whatever minor capacity) at my favourite hospital. No trip to London is complete without a wander to St Barts, which kind of means I've been there A LOT. I especially like going at night. I find it actually a really spiritual experience!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 7, 2013 3:41 pm  #9

bohemia wrote:

...(at Barts ). ...Jumped

Okay, that's just a little too close for comfort for those words...

Anyway, howdy, and welcome to the forum, bohemia! Don't do anything too scandalous (as though not liking tea isn't, already...)

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 16, 2013 6:05 pm  #10

Sherlock  -  It's quite a lovely place, isn't it? I like that there's so much history and prestige behind the hospital and that they've preserved so much of the old architecture. The whole area around West Smithfield/Barbican/Cheapside has a terrific historic (and what I term) 'authentic London' feel to it. With so many visits you probably already have, but if not check out the hospital museum, and/or the pathology museum. There is some really cool stuff to discover in both.

June 16, 2013 6:11 pm  #11

bohemia wrote:

Mary Me - I'm about to make a travesty of Brits everywhere when I say.. I don't like tea. But thank you ;)

Lol, I grew up in the southern US and I despised sweet tea (which all southerners are supposed to like).  I only grew to like hot tea when I was living in Japanese 10 years ago because I had no choice (you can't eat out at all without getting a cup of green tea)...but I still don't like sweet tea.  So I understand XD

Welcome!

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

Board footera