BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 10, 2012 1:34 pm  #1

Mistakes/errors - anyone notice any?

Haven't watched it for a while but...

The guy they met at the pub who was doing all the tours and telling people about the hound....so the hound wasn't real...but where did he get his massive paw print thing from??

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

February 10, 2012 4:53 pm  #2

Re: Mistakes/errors - anyone notice any?

I was just thinking about the same.. kind of strange. Maybe it just was a wolf paw print, or something like that 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a highly functioning sociopath. Do your research."
-- Sherlock (to Anderson)

February 10, 2012 9:38 pm  #3

At the end of the show, there WAS a hound remember? It was the one the 2 restaurant owners had. It was never put down, they didn't have the heart to do it so gave it to the 'bad guy who blew up in the end' (I can't remember names !)

The paw prints would have been from that animal.

See this was part of the beauty of how they handled this show. Everyone expected, like with the original, that there would be a normal dog 'made up' to like like a monster and that there was no 'monster sized dog'.
Then we discover HOUND is just an acronym for some experiments to do with the gas, so we rest our minds at ease that there's no dog at all. Smart 'Moftiss' changed the meaning of HOUND from the original that WAS a dog.
Then right at the end, we find OMG there IS A DOG, a mutant dog that IS that big!!

They add so many twists to things that if you are trying to follow everything clearly & logically it takes a few watching sessions to get everything possible out of each show, and even then you probably miss things.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

February 10, 2012 10:51 pm  #4

Ah! i remember it now XD Thank you for clearing that up!  I got kind of confused after watching that episode, i should probably watch it again and try to pay more attention XD

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a highly functioning sociopath. Do your research."
-- Sherlock (to Anderson)

February 11, 2012 9:57 pm  #5

AAAARHH yeah, I remember now...woops, forgot about other giant dog!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 13, 2012 12:18 pm  #6

Well there is an error but the writers are perfectly aware of it. The Army Officer in charge of Baskerville has a full beard. This is not allowed in the Army ( only in the Royal Navy) but they decided to go ahead with this as it would maybe fit in with the establishment being a bit of a law unto itself.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 16, 2012 11:10 pm  #7

Cool - how did you hear about that?

February 17, 2012 10:31 pm  #8

Gotcha, Sherlock - You see but you don’t observe!

Mrs. Hudson’s dress in "Hounds" is described by Sherlock as a "new" one.
Actually she’s been wearing it during the "apologies"-scene with Mycroft in Scandal.
So – Sherlock behaves like most of the men we know, doesn`t he, ladies?

Last edited by tobeornot221b (April 26, 2013 6:09 pm)

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

February 17, 2012 10:44 pm  #9

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Cool - how did you hear about that?

Listen to the commentary on the link I posted.

They do take poetic licence throughout all the shows but as they say it's a TV show meant for entertainment.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

February 18, 2012 2:17 am  #10

tobeornot221b wrote:

Gotcha, Sherlock - You see but you don’t observe!

Mrs. Hudson’s dress in "Hound" is described by Sherlock as a "new" one.
Actually she’s been wearing it during the "apologies"-scene with Mycroft in Scandal.
So – Sherlock behaves like most of the men we know, doesn`t he, ladies?

Wow, I'll have to rewatch that one. You mean to say...Sherlock got it wrong?!! 

February 18, 2012 7:10 am  #11

Ahhhh!!!!!!!! :O sherlock can't get it wrong :'(

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you eliminate the impossible,
What every remains,
However improbable,...
Must be the truth !

June 4, 2012 1:11 am  #12

This isn't so much an error in continuity as something out of character: When John and Sherlock are discussing the demise of the innkeepers' dog, Sherlock says there's no reason not to believe their assertion that they had it put down.  But it seems to me that Sherlock wouldn't/shouldn't take their statement at face value, that he'd investigate whether or not it was true to ascertain for himself the veracity of what they told him.  It couldn't be that hard to ask local vets about it, could it?  So I see that as not being typically Sherlock.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

June 4, 2012 4:05 am  #13

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

This isn't so much an error in continuity as something out of character: When John and Sherlock are discussing the demise of the innkeepers' dog, Sherlock says there's no reason not to believe their assertion that they had it put down.  But it seems to me that Sherlock wouldn't/shouldn't take their statement at face value, that he'd investigate whether or not it was true to ascertain for himself the veracity of what they told him.  It couldn't be that hard to ask local vets about it, could it?  So I see that as not being typically Sherlock.

I think the fact that they were being investigated by the big bad Scotland Yard Detective Inspector Lestrade was probably thought to be a big enough scare to them that they wouldn't have lied about anything. They seemed genuinely cooperative with Lestrade, Holmes & Watson. So there was no real need to launch into that investigation straight away.
Soon afterwards, Sherlock had the idea of some kind of drug/mind altering event & the investigation turned that way. So there wasn't really time to check that part of the story out.
Let's face it did ANYONE here think that they were lying when you FIRST viewed it? I doubt it (although someone will say they knew it all the time) because the gay couple had said from the start that they did it for publicity; so we would assume (as Sherlock did) that this was a small red herring. We already had the lab in our sights, as producing this gigantic hound.

Yes, in hindsight Sherlock should have checked every detail along the way, but at that stage of the investigation we were talking of a GIANT hound, a vicious man eating monster with those huge paw prints; hardly the kind of dog those 2 would have been able to handle.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 11, 2012 9:16 pm  #14

Not exactly a mistake but a bit strange to me: In Dartmoor, John wears three different jackets (black, green, brown). Going by the size of the bags he's carrying when he and Sherlock leave Bakerstreet one could assume that those bags were exclusivly for his jackets...
John, what's got into you?!

Last edited by tobeornot221b (April 26, 2013 6:10 pm)

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 11, 2012 9:44 pm  #15

In the other fandom I'm involved with, set in the Old West (of the US), the heroes travelled mostly by horse and carried saddlebags with their belongings in them.  Such as formal suits complete with derby hats, tea kettles and mugs, and all the rest of their stuff.  So they became known as "magic saddlebags" because just looking at them, there was no way they could contain all those things all together.  Maybe John has a magic suitcase!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

June 11, 2012 9:45 pm  #16

Like Hermione!!!

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

February 21, 2013 9:29 pm  #17

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Haven't watched it for a while but...

The guy they met at the pub who was doing all the tours and telling people about the hound....so the hound wasn't real...but where did he get his massive paw print thing from??

The paw print was fake ;) He had to have something to show to people...

ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ᴥส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

May 31, 2013 9:51 am  #18

I don't know for sure if it is simply a mistake or if it is a clue.
In The Cross Keys while John talks to the landlords Sherlock is wandering around the rooms. He is standing next to a coat rack and a table. Sherlock touches the coat suspiciously.
On the table there are salt and peper pots. Then we get a cut to John.
Shortly after the menu card has a different position, no pots and a coat or something is gone, too.
You can compare the creen caps:

May 31, 2013 10:26 am  #19

Hmm. Most likely a continuity error, but still...

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera