BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 29, 2013 8:17 am  #1

Your favorite movie soundtrack/ theme song

Hi there!
I'm putting together a playlist with my favorite movie theme songs and I'd love to know yours so maybe I can include them as well. Here are the ones I already have:

Harry Potter
The Hobbit
Pirates of the Caribbean
Sherlock
Sherlock Holmes (the Robert Downey Jr. Movie)
Inception
7 Psychopaths
Requiem for a Dream
Moon
Untouchable

But maybe I forgot a great one or you know a great movie I don't.
If you don't know any of these then you should watch it or at least listen to the song because ther are all very great! I recommend them deeply.
Looking forward to your songs!

Last edited by Myraya (May 29, 2013 8:18 am)

May 29, 2013 8:26 am  #2

Re: Your favorite movie soundtrack/ theme song

Some of my favourites: 

Schindler's List
The Piano
Parade's End
Peter's Friends (for nostalgic reasons)
Last Exit to Brooklyn (by Mark Knopfler, incredibly beautiful music)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 29, 2013 1:47 pm  #3

I can't think of all at the moment... so this list is going to be added later:

The Hobbit - Song of the lonely mountain
The Bourne Films - Extreme Ways
Sherlock - Theme Song & "The Woman" Soundtrack

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 29, 2013 2:04 pm  #4

Sherlock soundtrack
Sweeney Todd "Women" (duet Alan Rickman and Johnny Depp)
Love Actually, some of them
Alice in Wonderland
(to be continued)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

May 29, 2013 5:25 pm  #5

Thanks a lot so far!

Mattlock, do you mean the Tim Burton version of Alice in Wonderland?

May 29, 2013 7:19 pm  #6

Yes, with Johnny Depp as Mad Hatter. Love that!

May 30, 2013 4:01 am  #7

Neat!   I have some particular movies with which I loved the soundtrack compiled for them as a whole (City of Angels, Wild Target, O Brother Where Art Thou)… but those are pretty much 'compiled' tracks, and looks like you're talking about music made for it's movie.  In which case, yes and -yes-, both Sherlocks, Hobbit, Inception, were wonderful 'instrumental illustrations' of their movies, weren't they?

And heh, yes, 'Alice'…. can't go wrong with pretty much anything by Danny Elfman or John Williams really!  Or Hans Zimmer… they're so good.  Zimmer's 'This Land' in The Lion King gets me every time.  Or the main title to The Last Of The Mohicans, and the themes in Gladiator ('Now We Are Free' or 'Elysium' particularly).

If looking for a range of just beautiful background instrumentals/themes, have a soft spot for these:
-'Passion' by Peter Gabriel (the soundtrack to The Last Temptation Of Christ) especially the one "Of These, Hope"
-Waking Ned Devine … more sweetly lively celtic-type
-Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
-any of the Doctor Who instrumental soundtracks for each series
-anything Joe Hisaishi did for Hayao Miyazaki's films (Nausicaa, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro, Castle In The Sky)

Ahem… rambling.  Sorry… love really well done instrumental soundtracks too! 

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

May 30, 2013 11:18 am  #8

Russell wrote:

Neat! I have some particular movies with which I loved the soundtrack compiled for them as a whole (City of Angels, Wild Target, O Brother Where Art Thou)… but those are pretty much 'compiled' tracks, and looks like you're talking about music made for it's movie. In which case, yes and -yes-, both Sherlocks, Hobbit, Inception, were wonderful 'instrumental illustrations' of their movies, weren't they?

And heh, yes, 'Alice'…. can't go wrong with pretty much anything by Danny Elfman or John Williams really! Or Hans Zimmer… they're so good. Zimmer's 'This Land' in The Lion King gets me every time. Or the main title to The Last Of The Mohicans, and the themes in Gladiator ('Now We Are Free' or 'Elysium' particularly).

If looking for a range of just beautiful background instrumentals/themes, have a soft spot for these:
-'Passion' by Peter Gabriel (the soundtrack to The Last Temptation Of Christ) especially the one "Of These, Hope"
-Waking Ned Devine … more sweetly lively celtic-type
-Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
-any of the Doctor Who instrumental soundtracks for each series
-anything Joe Hisaishi did for Hayao Miyazaki's films (Nausicaa, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro, Castle In The Sky)

Ahem… rambling. Sorry… love really well done instrumental soundtracks too!

You should listen to Clint Mansell, he composed the soundtrack for Requiem for a Dream and Moon and lots of movies I don't know. It's amazing.

May 30, 2013 4:30 pm  #9

Oh Lord! What have you done! I just cannot choose one favourite. I have lots...so this is my first offering...

Edward Scissorhands theme - by Danny Elfman

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 30, 2013 4:41 pm  #10

Lovely, Dav!
That reminds me that I never saw that movie. Recommendable? Hubby said once it's "crap". 

May 30, 2013 4:50 pm  #11

My second offering is those themes composed by the amazing Hans Zimmer...

Inception-

Pirates of the Caribbean-

Gladiator-

Dark Knight Rises Trilogy-

Sherlock Holmes-

Enjoy!

Last edited by Davina (May 30, 2013 5:20 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 30, 2013 5:09 pm  #12

Going back to edit the last post as some of the links won't work! Edward Scissorhands is, in my humble opinion, a beautiful film. It is really a modern fairy tale with a strong  moral message. It always makes me have a weep. It is not the cup of tea of many men/boys. My son would say the same. It is a love story. 

Last edited by Davina (May 30, 2013 5:21 pm)

May 30, 2013 6:10 pm  #13

Davina wrote:

Going back to edit the last post as some of the links won't work! Edward Scissorhands is, in my humble opinion, a beautiful film. It is really a modern fairy tale with a strong moral message. It always makes me have a weep. It is not the cup of tea of many men/boys. My son would say the same. It is a love story.

I watched it only recently! So cute, I loved it! I love all of the Tim Burton movies I watched and I need to watch the other ones. But we're getting off topic, maybe we should open a new topic.

Anyway thank you for all the great soundtraks. I'm a bit buissy right now but soon I'll listen to all of them.

May 30, 2013 7:23 pm  #14

Myraya - Cool.... thanks...   and since I can't help curiosity with sharing good tastes, let me know if you get to try any of those!
Davina - Ha.... you pretty much listed several similar top-notch tracks/composers others had the same idea with!  Elfman and Zimmer....  seriously....     Sherlock, Inception, Gladiator... gorgeous instrumentals... although on the more playful side, Elfman's stuff he did for the newer Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was also fun.  Especially the main title song:

Everyone else has already mentioned songs from the big favorites (and Davina's previous vids), so hopefully you won't mind me plugging just one I mentioned earlier that's beautiful in... quite a different way....  the stuff on Gabriel's 'Passion' soundtrack has such a strangely different cultural quality to it (if that's the right word)... almost ethereal sometimes?  Here's the best one:

Cheers!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

May 31, 2013 4:17 am  #15

Ok  Mine arer a bit old,  not very  current.  

Star Wars  episode 4  theme--I  played that in high  school band.  
9 to 5  movie  theme song  by Dolly Parton 
Sound of Music Overture
The King and I-- the  one with  Deborah Kerr  and Yul Bryner  in it.  
Rocky movie number 1  
Robin Hood Prince of Thieves
Blazing Saddles   

those are my favorites.  

Last edited by sherlockskitty (May 31, 2013 4:21 am)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

May 31, 2013 9:45 am  #16

Ah yeah, Edward Scissorhands theme is beautiful...

Here are a few of mine:

Bruno Coulais (sung by Nick Cave) - To be by your side (LE PEUPLE MIGRATEUR)

Joe Hisaishi (sung by Yumi Kiruma) - Itsumo nando demo (SPIRITED AWAY) (though I love every Miyazaki movies' soundtracks)

Yann Tiersen - La valse d'Amélie [version orchestre] (LE FABULEUX DESTIN D'AMELIE POULAIN): My husband and I exchanged rings on that music on October.29 2005... And now, all's left of him is his wedding ring... and the memories...  

Jon Brion - Strings that tie to you (ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND)

Shigeru Umebayashi – Yumeji’s theme (IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE)

Devotchka - Till the end of time (LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE)

Ennio Morricone - MY NAME IS NOBODY Theme

Monty Python - Always look on the bright side of life (LIFE OF BRIAN)

Vladimir Cosma - LE GRAND BLOND AVEC UNE CHAUSSURE NOIRE Theme

Vangelis - 1983 ANTARTICA Theme

Jerry Goldsmith - MEDICINE MAN Theme

Cat Stevens - If you want to sing out, sing out (HAROLD AND MAUD)

Just like old times...

June 1, 2013 11:50 pm  #17

Punch me in the face wrote:

Joe Hisaishi (sung by Yumi Kiruma) - Itsumo nando demo (SPIRITED AWAY) (though I love every Miyazaki movies' soundtracks)

Me too!  (although probably saw that in my post.  Hisaishi is so great at evoking different moods…)    Man... I love that track....  also, these in particular also 'get' me every time:

(which sounds quite similar in style to yours, actually!)   and:  (I love this one)

You remember those?   Hopefully others enjoy, too....  ;)

June 2, 2013 12:47 am  #18

Amelie! I completely forgot! Bought me the cd. 

Found the song from Sweeney Todd:
Take your time, imo it's becoming better and better.....

Soundtrack from Snowcake. E.g. The same deep water as me

June 2, 2013 12:55 am  #19

Well, The cat returns is a movie by Morita and I believe the music's by Yuji Nomi, but I love this song nonetheless. Brings back good memories. First cinema with my husband in August 2003 just after he came and lived with me.

And The path of the wind, the slower version of it at least, is probably my favourite Hisaishi's melody, just like Totoro's my favourite Miyazaki's movie. Not his most philosophical one (though it's still has a powerful meaning) nor his most complex one, but it's full of poetry. There's definitely something special about it...

Other Hisaishi soundtracks I adore (among many others!)

and this one's probably my second favourite after The Path of wind: :

Just like old times...

June 2, 2013 2:03 am  #20

Punch me in the face wrote:

Well, The cat returns is a movie by Morita and I believe the music's by Yuji Nomi, but I love this song nonetheless. Brings back good memories. First cinema with my husband in August 2003 just after he came and lived with me.

And The path of the wind, the slower version of it at least, is probably my favourite Hisaishi's melody, just like Totoro's my favourite Miyazaki's movie. Not his most philosophical one (though it's still has a powerful meaning) nor his most complex one, but it's full of poetry. There's definitely something special about it... 

Ahhhh...  goodness, yes.  'Path' hits me every single time.     And ah, okay.... I already knew it wasn't by Miyazaki (but still a Studio Ghibli film), and incorrectly assumed Hisaishi had worked on that, too.  Actually, I'm a little frustrated, since many years ago when I first picked up numerous of the soundtracks, thanks to a friend making me a copy of theirs (hey, I'm not advocating for that or anything, just explaining! ;D), but due to getting it that way simply on my computer, a chunk of track titles were saved, and some, for some reason weren't (I'm guessing info was lost in transfer, or something to do with unreadable japanese characters).  Never bothered to sit down and crunch out some research into getting them matched up, until now, when sharing favorites made me realize I have no way to look -up- some of those songs to share, and apparently there are several 'versions' of each soundtrack too!  Gah... I don't suppose you're well familiar enough to some extent with all of them, and could message you for ideas (without spamming everyone else)?     

Board footera