BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 29, 2013 8:28 am  #101

Re: But then people do get so sentimental about their pets.

One of my poor little dogs had to go to the vets yesterday because she was making a weird choking noise. My vets have no flexible endoscope so she then had to go to the big/expensive vets a few miles away. So a general anaesthetic, x-rays and endoscopy later they have found nothing stuck there but inflammation in nose and throat. Given anti-inflammatories and stayed overnight. Hopefully I will be picking her up later once I have paid what will be a very big vets bill. Luckily she is insured but I have to pay the bill first and then claim it back.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 1, 2013 10:57 am  #102

Oh, no, Davina, I hope they're better now!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

April 5, 2013 6:00 pm  #103

Hey guys
well, i always was more into dogs probably because i'm not able to interpret a cats bodylanguage. I think that's the reason why my hands often were scratched when i thought it would be a good idea to stroke the cat from my neighbours. Never mind...
So It's time to show you my dog called Mona! She is 7 years old and a Labrador Retriever
Sooo adorable and behaves every time nicely even if you have an off day 
The funniest thing is when you swim with her 

---------------------------------------------------

"Nichts ist trügerischer, als eine offenkundige Tatsache"

Sherlock's not dead
Corpses don't go to heaven
And he won't leave the flat
For less than a seven 

April 5, 2013 9:47 pm  #104

Soph wrote:

Hey guys
well, i always was more into dogs probably because i'm not able to interpret a cats bodylanguage. I think that's the reason why my hands often were scratched when i thought it would be a good idea to stroke the cat from my neighbours. Never mind...
So It's time to show you my dog called Mona! She is 7 years old and a Labrador Retriever
Sooo adorable and behaves every time nicely even if you have an off day 
The funniest thing is when you swim with her 

I wish Mona could play with Sunny,my Golden Retriever!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brook is Make Believe!

April 5, 2013 10:54 pm  #105

Aww! Very, very sweet!   

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 6, 2013 7:34 am  #106

Mountain Momma: that would be so nice!
Davina i hope they're better now, too

---------------------------------------------------

"Nichts ist trügerischer, als eine offenkundige Tatsache"

Sherlock's not dead
Corpses don't go to heaven
And he won't leave the flat
For less than a seven 

May 21, 2013 5:14 pm  #107

I haven't been around for a while, since I had tons of stuff to do for school, but luckily I've had my birthday party somewhere in between (17th of may actually) and I had a Mad Tea Party...I know....Yes, I AM 21. Anyways, my cat decides to join the celebration and I just had to post this.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You look sad when you think he can't see you."

May 21, 2013 7:11 pm  #108

That picture is priceless! And a belated happy birthday, Mell! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 21, 2013 8:50 pm  #109

Happy Birthday, Mell!

Did you get the box of Quavers I didn't send?

I now understand why cats sometimes scratch people...

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

May 21, 2013 9:16 pm  #110

Ah ah, funny pic!

Actually, the Cheshire cat is the only one I tolerate (his song is so brilliant, best disney song ever.."all mimsy were the borogoves and the mome raths outgrabe"), I hate cats otherwise.

I like dogs better though I wouldn't have one myself. Or maybe when I am an old bat who won't have anyone to talk to anymore.

I love rodents. I used to have hamsters (got more than 10 of them between the age of 5 and the age of 26)

I'd love to have one again, or any other rodent (I love chinchillas, octodons, gerbils, guinea pigs, rabbits...) but I'd have no one to keep it when I'm gone for the weekend of a couple of days.

Just like old times...

May 21, 2013 9:19 pm  #111

Jabberwocky! 

May 21, 2013 9:22 pm  #112

Punch me in the face wrote:

Actually, the Cheshire cat is the only one I tolerate (his song is so brilliant, best disney song ever.."all mimsy were the borogoves and the mome raths outgrabe"), I hate cats otherwise.

Aww. I can't comprehend why anyone would hate cats.  Have you had bad experiences or do you just dislike their nature?

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 21, 2013 9:29 pm  #113

Mary Me wrote:

Aww. I can't comprehend why anyone would hate cats. 

Me either. Most people who say things like that just have never met a nice kitty. It's unfair to lump all cats into a "hateable" category-- I don't see people doing that with dogs, even though there are lots of nasty dogs in the world.

May 21, 2013 9:49 pm  #114

Hm, I've had bad experiences with dogs when I was about four years old. One big dog had bitten me heavily in the leg and I ended up in hospital. Then there was also the time at the beach where a big dog ran over me and I couldn't breathe. However, I have had a dog phobia until I was 12 years old. I thought that I would hate dogs in general, but then I learned that there were nice dogs too.

Last edited by Mary Me (May 21, 2013 9:50 pm)

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 22, 2013 11:21 am  #115

I love cats I like dogs too, but I've always been a cat person. I was bitten by a dog when I was younger, too. Amber, the cat in the picture, is very sweet and she never bites or scratches anyone. I kinda think she loved the attention she wat getting from our whole family at that moment

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 22, 2013 12:11 pm  #116

Mell92 wrote:

I love cats I like dogs too, but I've always been a cat person. I was bitten by a dog when I was younger, too. Amber, the cat in the picture, is very sweet and she never bites or scratches anyone. I kinda think she loved the attention she wat getting from our whole family at that moment

I was bitten by a dog in the temple (side forehead area) when I was about 2. I had a cookie, and when the neighbor's doggie expressed interest, apparently I held it up high to keep it away from him, but... he got me and the cookie too. Or so the family story goes. But I've never been afraid of dogs, just was always raised with cats. Then when I got married, the cat thing continued, and we've had about 10 over the 40 years of our marriage. We only have one now, she's 15 but still doing fine, a black and white tuxedo with huge paws, extra thumbs, etc. Quite a cutie.

I know what you mean about how some cats just love attention from their humans, and you can dress them up, carry them around, the kids can stick them in doll carriages, etc, and the cats just lap it up. Other cats, when faced with that, would go TILT and run for the hills. They're all individuals, just as we are.

May 22, 2013 3:31 pm  #117

Mary Me wrote:

Aww. I can't comprehend why anyone would hate cats...

Hmm, let's see...

-nothing between the ears

-shed hair everwhere

-four very active limbs, each with extremely sharp points at the end, often used in a destructive manner

-often host to tiny critters that jump, bite and otherwise make life miserable

-litter box...

-think they are the center of the universe, without any particular qualifications

-general apathy towards those that, inexplicably, shower them with love and affection and feed them

: )

(We have numerous cats, and I am thankful for them, as they stay around the barn and keep down the, uhm, cuddly rodent population...)

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

May 22, 2013 3:40 pm  #118

Yeah, these are facts about cats, but no reason to hate them.

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 24, 2013 1:08 pm  #119

ancientsgate wrote:

Mell92 wrote:

I was bitten by a dog in the temple (side forehead area) when I was about 2. I had a cookie, and when the neighbor's doggie expressed interest, apparently I held it up high to keep it away from him, but... he got me and the cookie too. Or so the family story goes. But I've never been afraid of dogs, just was always raised with cats. Then when I got married, the cat thing continued, and we've had about 10 over the 40 years of our marriage. We only have one now, she's 15 but still doing fine, a black and white tuxedo with huge paws, extra thumbs, etc. Quite a cutie.

I know what you mean about how some cats just love attention from their humans, and you can dress them up, carry them around, the kids can stick them in doll carriages, etc, and the cats just lap it up. Other cats, when faced with that, would go TILT and run for the hills. They're all individuals, just as we are.

Wow, being bitten in the temple must hurt  I got lucky, cause the dog that bit me only managed to grab my arm and it didn't get infected or anything.
My cat probably likes people because she was raised among humans and she doesn't get to go outside (by herself) since we live next to a bussy road. I'm sad to say I've lost some of my previous cats on that road All of my friends love my cat, because she will sit on every lap that is offered to her. Your cat sounds cute by the way I love cats with a tuxedo pattern. 

May 24, 2013 1:12 pm  #120

Mary Me wrote:

Yeah, these are facts about cats, but no reason to hate them.

Some of them are also facts about dogs  I guess they're true, though, for some cats. Not all cats are like that, so I agree with Mary: Let's not hate the kitties.
OR the doggies, for that matter  

Board footera