BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 24, 2013 7:45 am  #1

Gatiss and Hiddleston in Coriolanus

Mark Gatiss is due to appear in his first ever role in a Shakespeare play in December 2013. This will be Coriolanus at the Donmar Playhouse (probably the smallest theatre in London). Previews start on 6 Dec, the play runs from 17 December 2013- 8 February 2014. Public booking opens on 25 June 2013. Coriolanus will be broadcast to cinemas worldwide on 30 January 2014 as part of NT Live.

Hiddles plays the Roman General Coriolanus.

www.guardian.co.uk/stage/2013/may/20/tom-hiddleston-coriolanus-donmar-warehouse

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22596431

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 24, 2013 4:39 pm  #2

Re: Gatiss and Hiddleston in Coriolanus

Ah, man, I thought at first you just couldn't type, and were telling us Gatiss and Hiddleston would be in the Carolinas!

: /

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

May 24, 2013 4:46 pm  #3

Fabulous.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 25, 2013 11:29 am  #4

Well...they might be in a cinema near you! Do you have a cinema near you or is the nearest one miles and miles away?

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 25, 2013 1:42 pm  #5

Are you speakig to me?!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 25, 2013 4:16 pm  #6

Nah! To our friend in S.C. He lives in 'the sticks' you know. 

I am really tempted to try and get tickets for this play in London. 

May 25, 2013 4:26 pm  #7

I'll  miss this, same as  I missed Mark as Charles 1.
My London visits have to coincidw with Scottish school hols.

May 25, 2013 4:35 pm  #8

Drat! I have to find someone who 'gets' Shakespeare to come with me (although it being Hiddles I might be able to find some other willing victim!)

May 25, 2013 4:37 pm  #9

I'd love to see it, same as I'd love to see The Tempest...the latter being my fave Shakespeare.

May 25, 2013 4:41 pm  #10

I am very fond of 'the Scottish play'. I saw it on stage many years ago and studied it for O level (somehow the latter didn't destroy it for me as I was blessed  with an outstanding teacher).

May 25, 2013 4:44 pm  #11

MACBETH!
Sorry, I don't do stupid lovey superstition.
Yeah, good play.

May 25, 2013 7:43 pm  #12

Ha! Just a wee joke! 

May 25, 2013 7:46 pm  #13

Incidentally I liked the film Coriolanus, even tho it wouln't normally really be my thing.

May 25, 2013 8:04 pm  #14

I like the idea of this version being an updated warfare type of thing. I think the main themes will hold true.

May 25, 2013 8:25 pm  #15

Like in the film?  Yeah.
I wasn't aware of the play at all, before the film.
I mean I'd heard of it, but didn't know the story.
It has some beautiful lines and the theme of friendship is very moving.

May 26, 2013 10:14 pm  #16

I've heard it can be pretty challenging to get tickets to the tiny Donmar Warehouse venue even when the play *isn't* starring Mycroft and Loki.  A lot of tickets will sell during the priority ticketing run to sponsors before they go on sale to the public on June 25th.  Being in the US, I'll have to set my alarm to get up at some ghastly hour and try to nab a ticket during the first minute they go on sale.  Failing that, they have that Barclays Front Row Scheme, but I heard those sell out even faster.  If nothing else, there's always paying through the nose to a ticket reseller, I suppose.

I actually really enjoy Shakespeare (had an emphasis in English Renaissance Lit for my master's degree), so this sounds like a win all around.   I'm usually more of a comedy/history sort of gal, but watching Hiddles chew the scenery as a delusional despot again sounds like a good time.

Anna M.C.

---------------------------------------------------------

Will happily pay the annual license fee for legal US iPlayer access. BBC lawyers, *please* take my money.

June 15, 2013 9:19 am  #17

Tickets are on sale now for the NT Live screening of Coriolanus on 30 January 2014. The NT Live site has them advertised.

I have booked two tickets because I don't think I will be lucky enough to see it live, on stage at the Donmar.

Last edited by Davina (June 15, 2013 9:28 am)

June 15, 2013 11:19 am  #18

Live worldwide broadcasts.   There is a God.   And he knows I can't aford to fly to London!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 15, 2013 12:50 pm  #19

Even if you could, The Donmar Warehouse is a teeny weeny venue. I am still going to try and get tickets for the actual, real performance but I'm not optimistic. 

June 16, 2013 2:22 am  #20

Davina wrote:

Even if you could, The Donmar Warehouse is a teeny weeny venue. I am still going to try and get tickets for the actual, real performance but I'm not optimistic. 

Y'know.... not being a Brit or a theatre person at all to perhaps know a bit more of the scene there, but. . . . . knowing who their leads are, why would they book it there?  Unless of course despite it's size, that place is a favorite for historical reasons, stage reasons, connections, etc....

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

Board footera