BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 21, 2013 9:00 pm  #1

Name of a German song?

Hey!

As I've noticed there are quite a lot of people from Germany here, I think that I might be luckier than I've been so far searching for the title of a German song.

It's a song I learnt in German lesson nearly 20 years ago. I remember I liked it and I would like to listen to it again but I've never been able to find out the title as I don't remember the name of the singer nor the lyrics... Yeah, doesn't help, huh?

Otherwise, I do remember what the song was about, so maybe you'll be able to help, German folks? ;)

Plus I remember my teacher saying the singer (a man who was probably at least 40 at the time, soooo) was famous in Germany (dunno if he still is today though, so keep in mind we're in the middle of the nineties and maybe the song was much older than that, don't know.

Anyway, basically, the song was a tribute to his hometown. He said that living there was better than most people thought, and I think he was addressing the town in second person (du bist..etc). The only word I remember from the song, is that he was saying "glück auf" in the refrain, and that's about it

Does that ring a bell to anyone???

Last edited by Punch me in the face (May 21, 2013 9:01 pm)

Just like old times...

May 21, 2013 9:07 pm  #2

Re: Name of a German song?

I think you mean "Bochum" by Herbert Grönemeyer. 

Last edited by Mary Me (May 21, 2013 9:11 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 21, 2013 9:08 pm  #3

Yes, this song happens to be the anthem of my hometown!
"Bochum" by Herbert Grönemeyer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

May 21, 2013 9:35 pm  #4

Yeah!!! Just checked it out on youtube and that's the one! You rock, girls! thanks!!

Well, I still like it. The refrain reminds me a bit of Police...

Oh, the feelings... Damn, I got old, ah ah! And the huge difference is that now I don't understand a word he's saying!! ahem! Only things I got are "Ist es besser, viel besser als man glaubt", "bochum ich komm aus dir, Bochum ich hang an dir, gluck auf bochum", "arbeit ganz grau" "du bist keine ....stadt"

Arf, it's a shame! 5 years of German lessons and all I remember is "Das Telefon klingelt. Hallo Anna! Guten Tag, Dorothea! Was machst du da? Ich mache Yoga"

Just like old times...

May 21, 2013 9:41 pm  #5

Seriously, Herbert Grönemeyer is almost impossible to understand even if you are German - so don't worry. 

(To be honest, I hardly understand a word of what he sings. He's got a really strange way of articulating himself, that's why his music never worked for me.)

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

May 21, 2013 9:47 pm  #6

That's reassuring! ;)

But thing is I've just looked up the lyrics on google and still don't get them! lol.

I've lost all the vocabulary (only remember a couple of words)

Just like old times...

May 21, 2013 9:54 pm  #7

Same with me in french. Last year I was the best pupil in our french class and now I feel that my vocabulary has reduced on... um twenty words.
Lily's right, though, Herbert G. is really, really hard to understand. I also had to look up the lyrics 

Last edited by Mary Me (May 21, 2013 9:56 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 21, 2013 9:55 pm  #8

If it helps: I had four years of French and Spanish each and I can come up with maybe three sentences in each language. ;)

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

May 22, 2013 1:42 pm  #9

Yes, Bochum. I'm not surprised that you learnt a Grönemeyer song in school, he writes brilliant lyrics. But for most people here he is hard to understand when he sings , but I love him.

When he sings the song live, he usually sings 4 lines  from the "Steigerlied" a centuries-old miner song.
That's this "Glück auf" what you were talking about.

EDIT: btw. he is still very famous, I would say ever more than before, he had very emotional "comeback" album in 2002, after he spent four years off the radar in London after his wife and brother died of cancer in 1998.

Last edited by Ivy (May 22, 2013 1:53 pm)

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

May 22, 2013 1:49 pm  #10

Here is a translation and a link to find the lyrics:

http://german.about.com/library/blmus_groeneBO01e.htm

Board footera