BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 7, 2013 3:34 pm  #1

My solution for watching Sherlock 3 right in time - yes, finally!

My son is at an International School here in Berlin - most of the teachers are English native speakers (and under these are a lot from the UK). I am working here twice a week also. And today I thought: Why not asking them about how to receive BBC? They must miss it.
I heard about apple TV some days before and also, that two teachers work with that here. So to these I asked my questions and I got MY solution now for watching Sherlock from Germany when it´s aired (or at least a couple of days later).
Maybe that could be a solution for some of you as well - you need some expensive devices, of course. Luckily I have the most expensive ones anyway, so I just have to add a manageable amount of money. But, read yourself, I just copy the mails which I have sent to the teachers and the answers I received.

"Hello N.,
I heard from A. (IT) that you use apple tv. I am very interested in that privately, but would buy it only under certain circumstances. So I have a few questions and it would be lovely if you can answer these to me.
I am giving you some technical details and my wishes: I have the free BBC iplayer app on my iphone 4s (with IOS 6.1.2). I am thinking about subscribing to BBC, which is meanwhile possible for 12 European countries (also Germany). The iplayer is as far as I know only working on apple devices (like my iphone). But I would only subscribe to it if I can watch BBC TV on a bigger screen (it´s not really fun watching a film e.g. on an iphone ;-)). I have a Samsung smart TV at home. Now comes apple TV in play, I heard that with that little box and a wifi connection you can bring anything what´s on your iphone (or pad or pod) onto the HD-TV-screen.
Is that true? What else should I consider? Sorry for bothering you, but reading all the information about that confuses me, because sometimes it´s not clear in the net what is valid for the UK or for the rest of Europe..... hopefully an answer costs you nothing and you know exactly about what I am talking about.
Thanks a lot in advance and have a nice day
Anja"

Final answer: "Hi
We use Apple TV connected with HDMI cable through Airplay at home with a paid version of Global BBC iPlayer- 6,99 a month. You need a good WiFi network.
It's really great and you can stream content from your PC too. We can talk more if you require more info- but i'd go for it."

That´s it. I have an iphone anyway, also an HD-TV which is required. The appleTV-box costs around 99 € (it´s worth to me and I can afford that). Then comes the BBC iplayer subscription amount of around 7 € a month (I love to watch BBC anyway, so it´s also worth to me). Everything is legal and we tried apple TV, airplay and my phone already at the school and I could see even my holdiday fotos on a huge screen . I go for it!

Last edited by anjaH_alias (March 7, 2013 4:05 pm)

March 7, 2013 4:14 pm  #2

Re: My solution for watching Sherlock 3 right in time - yes, finally!

March 7, 2013 8:03 pm  #3

I need help for watching it my TV (don't like watching on computer or phone) in the US.

March 12, 2013 1:22 am  #4

veecee wrote:

I need help for watching it my TV (don't like watching on computer or phone) in the US.

I am in the U.S. too and I don't think you can unless you do a VPN/Proxy. I'm pretty sure it's blocked for us and not available for streaming.

Thank you for your questions, now sod off and go do something useful --- Martin Freeman 3/1/13

March 12, 2013 7:37 am  #5

Update: My apple tv is on start now and - it works brilliantly . It was easy to configure. Also airplay works - I watched yesterday some free stuff on BBC iplayer and this morning I have subscribed to it (75 € a year or 7,99 a month, it does not automatically go into another year of subscription, if you don´t want it).
The quality is brilliant, too. No complaints.
I am watching testwise a Steven Moffat series - Jekyll - to see whether there are interruptions or something similar, but till now nothing bad occurred. So again, for these who have a HD-TV and one apple device (i-phone at least 4s, iPad or iPod) - you could go for it.
The apple TV has of course other possibilities like borrowing or buying a film in the net, watching youtube on full screen or listening to music (about itunes).

Last edited by anjaH_alias (March 12, 2013 7:42 am)

May 22, 2013 6:53 am  #6

I did a bit of research and I think I found a way how you can watch the BBC iplayer on the internet from any country. It costs a bit, but not too much. Apparently there are programes that legaly allow you to watch this and other web pages that are blocked in your country. One of them is http://www.unblock-us.com/. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds good, only 5$/month and I think you can resign whenever you want, have a look yourself.
There are other programmes as well: http://www.easy-hide-ip.com/#tooltester this one I think is similar to unblock-us.

But what I'd like to know is how long it takes until all the stuff is available on BBC iplayer? How many days since the airing of Sherlock will it take until You can see is there? Maybe someone from Britain knows this?

Last edited by Myraya (May 22, 2013 12:12 pm)

May 22, 2013 10:56 am  #7

We here in Germany officially only receive the i-player global (in GB the programmes are very often available on the British i-player right after airing, like in our ARD-Mediathek for instance). But the i-player in GB has not the same programme than the global i-player (for the rest of the world), the last one is more a kind of "storage" with loads of good programmes (so worth to subscribe), but not so fast in airing after the shows on British TV. As far as I know. 
But there is another possibility, too, there is one costfree app which allows you to watch BBC live (and a lot of other international programmes). You can also stream this app via apple TV without problems on your TV-screen, as long as you have a HD-TV, at least one apple device (Ipod, iphone or ipad, from series 4s upwards) and a fast internet connection.
But however, I never regretted to have subscribed to BBC-i-player global, I had a lot of fun with this already.....

May 22, 2013 11:52 am  #8

What is the name of the app which plays BBC live? I would like to have it on my Mac, does that work, too? Because I don't want to buy Apple TV and of course don't want to watch it a tiny screen.

May 22, 2013 12:07 pm  #9

My icon says: compatible with iPhone, iPod touch and iPad, optimized for iPhone 5. IOS 4.3 or more requested.
You find it in the app store under FilmOn Live TV Free. So, i don´t know whether it works on your mac, doesn´t sound so, but I would give it a try.....

May 22, 2013 12:17 pm  #10

FilmON Live TV, just as BBC iplayer global, is not available for Mac. Thank you very much for your help anja, but I think it'll be best to register on unblock-us. As I unterstand is I will then have access to the British BBC iplayer. For only 5$ per month. If this really works it'll be the best solution.

May 22, 2013 12:23 pm  #11

Myraya wrote:

FilmON Live TV, just as BBC iplayer global, is not available for Mac. Thank you very much for your help anja, but I think it'll be best to register on unblock-us. As I unterstand is I will then have access to the British BBC iplayer. For only 5$ per month. If this really works it'll be the best solution.

Something like this (Expat Shield and whatever exists to get a British IP-address) was also my idea first until I discovered the app. And I would do this still when Sherlock airs, if something happens with the app until then .

Board footera