BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 22, 2012 8:19 am  #1

Benedict in Fortysomething

Hello!
My name is Mirela and I’m from Romania. I’m a huge Benedict Cumberbatch fan (especially Sherlock). I have dedicated all my spare time to translate/create subtitles for all his movies and I’ve managed to make his romanian fans very happy. I’m also trying to make his movies known in my country with those subtitles, this is my small contribution in appreciation for his great acting skills and his gorgeous looks.
But I have a small problem. Now I translate episode 5 of Fortysomething and I can’t understand a phrase there… so I’m asking for your help. Please, I’m begging you! Can someone help me with this? English is not my mother language and although I understand 98-99% of the dialogue, there are some words or phrases that I don’t understand. That’s why I’m asking for your help.
I need to understand a long phrase from Fortysomething episode 5 (from minute 22:12 to 22:24). No, it's not Benedict who's talking there, because his diction is perfect
Can any of you help me? I would really appreciate it.

May 22, 2012 8:29 am  #2

Re: Benedict in Fortysomething

Welcome.

I really only speak English & a little French, but as long as you understand me we should be ok.

I know there are more people here who speak many languages better than me.
Anyway I  will go & look now.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

May 22, 2012 8:31 am  #3

God bless! Thank you sooooo much!

May 22, 2012 8:35 am  #4

Of course I have to do some update. Why do these things always happen when I want to use it quickly?

Shouldn't be long now.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

May 22, 2012 8:37 am  #5

The phrase I'm interested in is the one after "I'm sexually very given".

May 22, 2012 8:38 am  #6

OK.
Its just 'buffering' now so won't be long.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

May 22, 2012 8:59 am  #7

Am I right? That phrase is really not undestandable?

May 22, 2012 9:07 am  #8

" See I'm sexually very giving.
Locked in a marriage I now realise now is loveless in spite of Gordon and all he's done
Bit like a carpet and a hairbrush if you will, But here I am trying to work my way back into the hearts and minds of this practice."

I am just not sure of that part in italics = Bit like a carpet and a hairbrush if you will ???

That accent is very strong (and I am bad at accents) Scottish is it someone?
Reminds me of John Hannah's.

Last edited by kazza474 (May 22, 2012 9:07 am)

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

May 22, 2012 9:14 am  #9

LOOOL...
What I understand:
"Locked in a marriage and not realising that is loveless, in spite of God knows what he's done..."
But I have the same problem like you... I understand something with "carpet and a hairbrush", but I have no ideea what that could mean...

Yeah, I guess the accent is scottish, because Peter Capaldi is scottish... If you can't understand him... you can imagine how hard is for me to do that 

I am hopeless... And there is no english subpack or a script for this TV show.

May 22, 2012 9:20 am  #10

I am sure someone who is more used to Scottish accents will be along soon.
Also, the carpet & hairbrush thing could be a usual saying in that part of the world, I am not sure.

If anyone is wanting to look & listen, I am viewing it from this link:

http://stagevu.com/video/gdffdwmugrwz

No doubt there are others you could use.

I will have another listen soon & see what I think this time.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

May 22, 2012 9:26 am  #11

Thank you very-very much for your help! I hope someone could shed some light on this.

May 27, 2012 11:05 pm  #12

THANK YOU SO MUCH for transcribing this! I had no idea what that putz was saying, lol! It makes so much  more sense now!

I think the reference "carpet and a hairbrush" means something along the lines of "gets along as well as someone cleaning a carpet with a hairbrush"... which i think i might have tried with the cat's brush once or twice after brushing her on it, but i think the phrase refers to a persons brush, and not the cat's.

May 27, 2012 11:25 pm  #13

As a Scot I can say for certain that Kazza has this one correct 100%

I don't know what the hairbrush and carpet phrasing is about - however that is indeed what is said.

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

May 27, 2012 11:39 pm  #14

I'll check it out when I get home. Can't look at that link at work

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

May 28, 2012 6:12 am  #15

Thank you sooo much, guys!!! Yes, he's talking about someone named Gordon and he's saying "carpet and a hairbrush" . There are some guys who understand "cup and a hairbrush" . Anyway, my best guess is that Dr Pilfrey is talking nonsense there or he's talking about something that happened to him some time ago, but the other characters (and us) don't know anything about.
Here's another link, if Kazza's link doesn't work for some of you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy4go2F1PDg (from minute 2:54).
Anyway, everything is clear now and I can post the subtitle for the fans. Thank you very-very much for your help!
Yesterday it was my birthday and guess what I did all day long?  I watched Sherlock (all 6 episodes) from morning to evening for the fourth time. It was the best birthday ever! 
After I finish "Fortysomething" I'll start translating "Marple: Murder is easy"... and I will ask for help if I don't understand something there  .

May 28, 2012 7:17 am  #16

Belated Happy Sherlockian Birthday to you!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 28, 2012 11:35 am  #17

I just had a look at it. I think what he actually says is "bit neither carpet nor hairbrush, if you will"

Not entirely sure what it means either but I think it might be that rather than "bit like a"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

Board footera