BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 19, 2013 9:06 pm  #81

Re: Star Trek (spoilers - for those who've seen it already)

He looks totally different. Silver hair, short in front, long in the back, like an 1980s football player. The actor isn't bad, though. And he's wearing a top with an enormous cleavage. Just saying. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 19, 2013 9:22 pm  #82

Finally! I am able to look at this thread, all 6 pages! My verdict. Yes, there are plot holes but sometimes you have to ignore these. This film is not one based upon intellect, it is meant to be entertainment.

Personally, I thought the chemistry between all key players was really strong. Simon was so funny, and you do need comic relief in a film like this, others also had brilliant one-liners. Pointy!

Benedict can surely hold a camera and act for England and so can the rest of the cast (not necessarily for England but you get the gist).

Costuming was very good. I particularly liked the Klingon costumes and their dress uniform was neat.

Special effects were amazing, especially when the ship crashes on the city near the end.

I loved the nods to the original series! I even gave a little squeal when I saw the tribble. The fact that John Harrison was actually Khan was brilliant.

Being picky: pacing was a bit off at times. How was the tribble  still on the table after all the crashing around the ship had just been through? The security on the ship was a bit rubbish if the Admiral's daughter was able to get on so easily (why did she have an English accent? ) Chekhov must have started training when he was about 14. 

Overall, an enjoyable film. Not brilliant but good, all round entertainment.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 19, 2013 10:07 pm  #83

Star Trek into Otterness

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Valentine:  Do you know the stars, Mr Tietjens?
Christopher:  I despise astronomy.

May 19, 2013 10:09 pm  #84

John Otterson. How cute.  Nice to see you again, tiharoa.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 19, 2013 10:20 pm  #85

In the first one they say that Chekov is some kind of child genius, so he probably DID start training when he was 14.

Did anyone get the nod to Harry Mudd? I missed it when I saw the film the first time.
And Praxis? I loved that one.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

May 19, 2013 10:59 pm  #86

It has a great sound track.  I listen to this and can picture Benedict *sigh*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."
Whoa.  Sherlock was quoting Spock who was quoting Sherlock....Mind blown!!

May 19, 2013 11:38 pm  #87

I'm otterly amazed! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 20, 2013 6:34 am  #88

Yeah, child genius but pretty bloody useless in this one (until he pulled the handle thingy)!

I'll add that the music was fantastic too. I thought the moral standpoint of the story was strong and also worthy (if you know what I mean).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 20, 2013 7:33 am  #89

Davina wrote:

I thought the moral standpoint of the story was strong and also worthy (if you know what I mean).

I totally agree, the moral standpoint was typical Star Trek!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

May 20, 2013 11:14 am  #90

Here's an interesting commentary on the film by Felicia Day. I didn't actually pick up on these issues myself because I was too busy objectifying the male cast members, but she does have a point.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

May 20, 2013 11:36 am  #91

Wholocked wrote:

Here's an interesting commentary on the film by Felicia Day. I didn't actually pick up on these issues myself because I was too busy objectifying the male cast members, but she does have a point.

I agree, she has a point, especially when she says, "... the problem is we unconsciously define the world and our culture through media."
There were a few things in the film that bothered me, too. But I guess that's just typically Hollywood.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

May 20, 2013 1:17 pm  #92

Wholocked wrote:

She does not have a point. She is pointless.

This is the same lass that Facebook 'recommended' I follow for months, YouTube throws videos of at me and I hear from all manners of 'geekdom' that she's a sex bomb.

Word up Felacio, whilst it's popular to turn everything into a sexism battle these days (Well, more victim card rather than battle) and there is a distinct lack of strong female characters which would support your argument there is one point you completely forgot to take into account...

Her name is Carol Marcus. Not only does she have a name but in the original 'timeline' she raises Kirk's son as a single mother without letting him know about it. I'm not saying the film should be excused for it's misogynistic elements but as a self sppointed 'geek' Felecia should have been banging this drum rather than the Atheist+ one. They disrobed the character of her strengths, and this is far worse than overlooking her.

When championing causes I wish those who put themselves forward to do so held to scrutiny under the pressures of their claimed character. Felicia, to me, is just an attention whore (And a very good one at that).

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

May 20, 2013 1:27 pm  #93

Wholocked wrote:

Here's an interesting commentary on the film by Felicia Day.

Oh god, here we have a feminist.

"​In the scene where Kirk gets his ship back and the admiral is having a meeting with “important” people around a table later, I failed to see ONE WOMAN AROUND THAT TABLE, ALL MOSTLY WHITE MEN IMPLIED TO BE MAKING IMPORTANT DECISIONS TOGETHER"

Obviously the women weren't good enough to make it into the elite. Hell, first the whitewashing discussion and then this. It's annoying for me.

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 20, 2013 3:42 pm  #94

Mary Me wrote:

Wholocked wrote:

You will be surprised, Mary, how many of us are actually here around... 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

May 20, 2013 6:20 pm  #95

Harriet wrote:

Mary Me wrote:

Wholocked wrote:

You will be surprised, Mary, how many of us are actually here around...

I'm surprised right now. 

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 20, 2013 6:51 pm  #96

Very good 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

May 20, 2013 7:40 pm  #97

I haven't seen STiD yet (so what I am doing here, you will ask? Getting spoiled, of course), but I have always had issues with the way women are portrayed in ST. I know that TOS was supposed to be very progressive, but cannot get over my irritation about sexy-half-naked-hot-aliens in almost every episode, and the third season finale in which we see disastrous consequences of a female trying to be captain of the ship never fails to disgust me. Even in the more recent takes, such as Voyager or Enterprise I ended with being disappointed about how female characters were handled 

May 20, 2013 7:53 pm  #98

I loved Uhura but those stupid dresses the female members of the Starfleet were wearing annoyed me. And the underwear scene with Alice Eve was so unnecessary.

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

May 20, 2013 8:02 pm  #99

Lily wrote:

And the underwear scene with Alice Eve was so unnecessary.

I found it especially tasteless that they put that scene into the trailers. As if the film had nothing more to offer than a shot of a girl in underwear. Which is absolutely not the case.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

May 20, 2013 8:26 pm  #100

My daughter said she felt bad because when Kirk and Spock were having one of their heart-to-heart conversations all she was thinking was KISS! 

She is very much a feminist but issues of this kind were not in her critique of the film.

Board footera