BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 19, 2013 5:00 pm  #1

Anyone watching Mr. Selfridge?

This show is very well done but I only catch it hit or miss due to my schedule, but I have been enjoying Amanda Abbington in her role.  I also caught the episode that had Sir Arthur Conan Doyle as one of the characters.  In it they hold a seance and the medium is the CIA guy from Sherlock.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

January 25, 2015 5:20 pm  #2

Re: Anyone watching Mr. Selfridge?

The show restarts tonight, for anyone interested.
9PM ITV.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 5, 2021 3:56 pm  #3

Is it all right if I revive this old thread?
I just finished watching the first series and while I thought the first couple of episodes weren't that good, I ended up enjoying the later plots. Martin Freeman even has a cameo in the scene with the séance with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (I assume that he got to be an extra because of Amanda's involvement in the show, if they were together at that time).

Clueing for looks.

March 5, 2021 5:50 pm  #4

I enjoyed the first series, but I think lost touch with it after.
Seem to recall I quite enjoyed it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 7, 2021 3:50 pm  #5

I've lost touch with shows before.
I found it interesting to see how department stores have evolved over time. Though I liked quited a few of the characters, too. 

Last edited by Yitzock (March 7, 2021 3:50 pm)

Clueing for looks.

April 7, 2021 10:38 am  #6

I liked the show and watched all series. Funny enough, what I liked least about it was Jeremy Piven as the title character. I think he is just not a very good actor and there was a remarkable performance difference to most other actors.  

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 7, 2021 3:11 pm  #7

I definitely found him a bit annoying in the first series. Less so in series 2. I'm currently waiting for series 3 to be transported to my local branch so that I can watch it, so I can't give my opinion on that yet. But I understand what you mean. I think there are other performances that are stronger than his. Even though he's the title character, it's still somewhat of an ensemble show with a bunch of other characters. My parents have seen Jeremy Piven in Entourage, but I haven't watched it myself so I don't know if he's any better or worse in that show.

Clueing for looks.

Board footera