BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 16, 2013 7:37 pm  #1

Anybody speak French who can tell us what they're saying? (SH related)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

May 16, 2013 7:41 pm  #2

Re: Anybody speak French who can tell us what they're saying? (SH related)

They speak too fast for me but he's a rough Google Translate which will be all over the place:

0:00 Women of the second planet of alcohol can rub
0:04 hands are now still feels that
0:07 here no requirement not to opt
0:09 at the beginning we were told the Portuguese and outputs this novel in 2010 this is
0:14 novel you exit now waste
0:17 is the recipe that night because his friendship health roger that
0:20 was the experienced professional writer to love comic book
0:24 ET percent proposed to adapt the comic strip business is established
0:28 with an artist of his painting was my nanny later the Italian who lives
0:32 in Alsace still the novel
0:35 shock as many other days appeared in late 2009 early 2010
0:38 What a page novel was adapted by screenwriter in cutting
0:43 carriage of jo to adapt to the breathing fries meilhac
0:47 scatters from a comic and that's one page comic illustrated by
0:51 was manon guitard here with charles poncet Dr. Watson arriving for
0:55 Chad of audio that deaf
0:57 plus it is a spin
0:58 a little allusion to one of the most historical illustrations
Known 1:01
1:02 his right side center has been done by drawing jeans
1:04 paquette here and it is also in this castle the opportunity to restore
1:08 not raised by August 2, all intrigued at the meeting here
1:12 all intrigued enough of 7% I doubt that is the city of sélestat
1:17 at the warehouse cazères guillaume the top of the castle and koenigsbourg
1:20 reliever percent the comic novel
1:23 suggests that something has more
1:26 what history tells us that yesterday centuries it happens it
1:30 is something that explains the interest castle
1:33 considerable door and we are especially in these times when the 1909
1:36 How does diplomacy to panic when the meal fever and you know it
1:40 arrive in the Great War
1:42 is not for nothing that charlotte watson center next convoy
1:45 podioguide days ago there something important for afp and europe
1:48 what fascinates you both calm this is the greatest detective
1:52 detective novel
1:53 is the one who manages to sign so that the exchange rate is
1:56 convinced
1:57 that really existed their relatives have
1:59 sometimes a bit part as some evenings and some mornings r who
2:03 was trying and is undertaken as read
2:06 it became one of the characters of our common culture and at the same time
2:09 is one of the great founders of the detective novel course I
2:12 gaboriau well ventilated room on the rest but it is added to the controls
2:16 team rising to this extraordinary formula that the deduction for
2:20 Science clues look at what people are how they are dressed
2:24 as they behave like they are asses he gave indications that
2:27 others should not you see you do not know watched the adira
2:31 third voice sounds the alarm and then the couple who watson charlotte charles
2:35 ET smarter than any of us watson is right
2:38 below the intelligence of the average reader should not jump the gate
2:41 to help us to say that we have still a good player
2:43 ET in order to then see flashes of lucidity that charlots
2:47 solves puzzles crimes more complex elementary my dear watson
2:51 m
2:57 roger its breakthrough artist must not abound at Le Mans
3:00 for a good storyline behind it is said that there are some
3:02 minutes ah yes yes certainly quite bad luck he difficulties
3:06 due to the pressure is that Rembrandt and signed nahd a page of his unit
3:10 So then, for example up to 54 pages of 230 and 250 pages
3:15 must begin
3:16 it takes to restructure its land
3:18 Jacques Fortier told you then it does not work roger acrobat other
3:21 will be joined but it was adorable and maybe come for me I try to
3:25 meet up and if the novel
3:27 So here when I'm really%
3:29 a small turn to ask a question objected to their
3:32 I have another weapon atmosphere of BDR revoked body
3:37 finally, because it is someone working in the echo this loan
3:40 historian called 6-4 is my different console plus I'm
3:45 used to work for its cans for much the same voltage at all
3:48 things as I went back to working as it is the oldest large
3:52 Ayatollah of bd to BOPB called October 3
3:55 but how does it
3:57 soc 3 antennas concert in Bilbao designed
4:00 but we are happy they are successful all over the place went there every
4:04 Togo pictures for voltages and after actually began studying the
4:07 figures of the quantities to which course you want is too dark chao as
4:12 that what makes you the navy his pen
4:14 in e1 - drew the mayor% in men this classic
4:19 who thought
4:21 Commandery
4:22 p but I've thought about a year to youth unemployment
4:26 more than half have more than doubled ko imitate this project
4:30 rained
4:30 because every night in this story from stock
4:33 is the story of a people of men section recessions
4:37 ET as they say
4:38 m I have not thought of a location is no anger was everywhere
4:42 anger
4:42 I hear mistakes
4:43 in the head but follow the employment elder face echoing
4:48 just best friends
4:50 to 3 quillan that employment dares
4:52 anything much for the mystery of high koenigsbourg discover
4:56 can between fresh writer
4:58 the fact that there is no land
5:00 Italian and work of novel high jack

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

May 16, 2013 9:08 pm  #3

Oh Lordy! Well that's extraordinary. Like Dadaism meets Stream of Consciousness! I haven't watched the video yet! One suggestion...ET...is this 'et' that is 'and'? It makes sense (about the only it that does!)

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 16, 2013 9:13 pm  #4

Et is and I reckon, Google translate screws up regularly.

-m0r

May 16, 2013 9:15 pm  #5

That Google translate is hilarious!

May 17, 2013 2:13 pm  #6

Bing translate is a real hoot too! 

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 17, 2013 6:54 pm  #7

Oh, yeah, that transcription option on youtube is just hilarious!!! I discovered it two days ago, while I was watching the "drunk sherlock" scene again (from the unaired pilot. I loved that restaurant scene so much better than the one in the actual pilot... aww...), and as there were a couple of words I didn't get, I thought "cool, this thing's got the English subtitles", but then I realised it was surrealistic and I laughed so hard when John's "You don't have a boyfriend then?" was transcripted to "So you don't have it with President Clinton?"  Sherlock is the new Monica Lewinsky! ah ah ah!

Here's the translation. Sorry, it's not really good as I'm too lazy to read what I actually typed and correct the mistakes, but I guess it's still better than the google translation

Oh, before I post the translation, here's a picture of the Château du Haut Koenigsbourg, in Alsace (West of France, just besides Germany): I visited it in 2008 and it's such a beautiful place!!!

"Fans of Holmesian planet can rub their hands in glee : now here in Haut Koenigsbourg, Sherlock Holmes has been adapted into a comic trip. We’re with Jacques Fortier. Your novel was published in 2010 and is now avalable as a comic strip."

“Yeah, this is actually a friendship story as Roger Seiter, a professional comic strip scenarist, has enjoyed the book and suggested to turn it into a comic strip. A deal was made with Giuseppe Manunta, an Italian cartoonist living in Alsace : the novel, “Sherlock Holmes and the Haut Koenigsbourg  was published at the end of 2009, beginning of 2010 and a page of the novel has been adapted into a comic strip by the scenarist, he cut it into squares to adapt it to the particular rhythm of a comic strip. So here you have a comic strip page illustrated by Giuseppe and showing Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson arriving at Haut-Koenigsbourg, with a reference to one of the most famous illustrations of Sherlock and Watson which had been drawn by Sidney Paget.”

“And the whole plot begins at the Haut-Koenigsbourg castle, which was restored by Guillaume II (William II)”

“Indeed. It all begins with that castle of Haut Koenigsbourg donated by the town of  Selestat to the Emperor – Der Kaiser- William II, and the novel suggests that there is something more in this castle that History’s not telling us. Something which explains all the considerable interest this castle is getting, especially in 1909 when diplomacies get into a panic, when Europe’s got fever and we’re getting near the Great War. There is a reason why Sherlock and Watson are sent to Haut Koenigsbourg castle as there is something very important for the peace in Europe.”

“So, what do you find fascinating in Sherlock Holmes?”

“It’s the biggest detective we’ve ever known. He is so fascinating that some people believe he truly existed. I must admit I’m one of them, sometimes, on some evenings, or mornings. He has been so much loved, adapted so many times, that his character truly belongs to Common Culture. ACD is one of the most famous founders of crime novel, along with Gaboriau and Edgar Allan Poe, of course, but he is the one who created that extraordinary science of deduction, in which observing the way people are dressed, how they behave… will give you clues that others won’t get. You do see, you just don’t observe, Sherlock tells Watson.

And then there is that wonderful couple… Sherlock who is more intelligent than any of us, and Watson who’s just slightly less intelligent than your average reader, and Watson is there to help us, to make us think Wow, I’m finally not that bad a reader! , and then to allow us to admire Sherlock’s brainstorms, Sherlock who solves the most intricate mysteries and crimes.”

“Elementary, my dear Watson!”

“Roger Seiter, scenarist. You need a good novel to make a good scenario, that’s what you were telling us a few minutes ago… “

“Yes, obviously. The main comic strip adaptation problem is that the pagination is limited. For example, for this book, we were allowed 54 pages while the novel had between 230 and 250 pages, so we had to shorten it, to restructure it.”

“So Jacques Fortier told you ‘Hey Roger, something’s wrong here, you need to change this and that’ “

“Oh, no, Jacques was adorable. He didn’t say anything and I tried to be as faithful as possible to the novel. When I had a doubt or a question, I just asked Jacques, and that’s about it.”

“I come from a very different comic strip universe. Erotic, fantasy. So working on historical and precise historical things is a very different atmosphere. Another thing is that I’m used to making research on internet for my illustrations and this time, I had to use the traditional method, just like the comic strip Master Hugo Pratt, and other authors. So before I started to draw, we came here, took photographs, and then we started to study the characters and (??? I don’t know, he’s got such a huge Italian accent that I don’t get the end of his sentence) “

“What did you want your Sherlock Holmes to look like?”

“I didn’t want to draw the same classic Sherlock Conan Doyle had in mind. I imagined a younger Sherlock Holmes, more into action because (there again, what I understand is something very contradictory, because he said something among the lines of “because the story is about action” and then he says it’s more about reflection so I’m a bit confused). I didn’t think of any particular character or any particular actor, I just wanted to be faithful to the facial features, the aquiline nose…”

And then the journalist just encourages us to come and discover the mysteries of this comic strip.

Just like old times...

May 17, 2013 6:55 pm  #8

That's brilliant. Thanks for taking the time to do that for us. Really, that's very good of you!

May 17, 2013 7:01 pm  #9

Thanks Punch!

Very decent of you to translate that.

-m0r

May 17, 2013 7:22 pm  #10

Thank you very much for that. It is, obviously, a vast improvement on the first translation. 

May 21, 2013 3:54 pm  #11

No prob

There were a few mistakes though. Aww, well...

I think the Haut Koenigsbourgh would be a nice place for a Sherlock's investigation

Just like old times...

Board footera