BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 21, 2013 10:03 pm  #101

Re: MEMBERS POLL: Male or Female?

Jayhan wrote:

Wow, that's a lot of girls... XD

This is just a theory, but it seems to make sense to me. I believe that most fan fiction authors and fan forum members are women/girls because women tend to discuss things more than men do typically. Women will talk a subject to death trying to ferret out every possible angle where men tend to be more hands on, or action oriented. Act first ask later as it were.

Now before anyone jumps all over me for making blanket statements - this is just a theory, but one that does seem to have validity to it. I say that because this does seem to be the typical behavior that I have observed over the years between men and women.

"I may be on the side of the angels,
but don't think for one second that I am one of them."

March 12, 2013 11:34 pm  #102

Ha ha makes you wonder why it is mainly girls that are here lol

March 13, 2013 6:52 am  #103

I'm guessing it's to do with biological statistics!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 13, 2013 6:55 am  #104

Doctor_Watson's_Girl wrote:

Ha ha makes you wonder why it is mainly girls that are here lol

It's because girls have ovaries. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

March 13, 2013 6:57 am  #105

Exactly this, well, partly this!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 15, 2013 10:30 am  #106

The problem which this kind of polls is that it only tells us about the people who answer it.
Actually: We don't know about all members in the forum. Probably it's just that more females take part in the poll.
But it is a hint.

March 21, 2013 6:59 am  #107

Well … I think the male actors may have a certain influence on the success of the show. But of course women are generally very intellectual and appreciate the overall brilliance of Sherlock.  On the other hand it might be possible that women just tend to be more active and outspoken regarding their preferences in TV, music, books, etc. and use the Internet as a means to communicate about those things. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 23, 2013 5:24 am  #108

SherlockHound wrote:

I'm trying to think what this says about men that this is a far more popular series with women... o.O Is it because women are generally more intellectual? Or a draw to the male lead roles? 

I watch for the plot *whistles softly and looks around*  Not the gorgeous men, no sir, not me. Ahem.

But anyway, I think there are more women here because women like to TALK, even if all we're talking with is the ends of our fingers. We want to connect, chat about the things we love, do some fangirl flailing about the gorgeous men, etc. My theory of why there are so relatively few men here. ???

May 16, 2013 8:07 pm  #109

Geez, and there was me thinking that Sherlock fandom had more guys than the SPN one... you bet!

Anyway, female. Last time I checked.

Just like old times...

June 28, 2013 8:13 pm  #110

female Sherlockians for the win!!

------------------------------------------------------------------
"No one could be that clever." "You could." 
"Oh, what now? I'm in shock! Look, I've got a blanket."
"Anderson shut up, you lower the IQ of the whole street." 
"I'm a high functioning sociopath, do your research."

July 1, 2013 1:04 pm  #111

Well, it's hard to say, but I was a famale last time I checked.

It's actually no suprise that there is more famales than males on the forum - girls like to talk much more than guys, like to share their interests with anyone who wants to listen That's just the thing we've got.

So I see I'm just another one sherlocked woman in here...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi.

"Dear God. What is it like in your funny little brains? It must be so boring." - Sherlock Holmes.

http://koktajl-kulturowy.blogspot.com/

July 3, 2013 8:41 am  #112

I believe Sherlock Holmes brings all the girls to the yard...Scotland Yard that is XD

July 3, 2013 5:42 pm  #113

And one more girl !

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Each picture told a story; mysterious often to my undeveloped understanding and imperfect feelings, yet ever profoundly interesting.
 ~Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte

Nous avons beau tailler de notre mieux le bloc mystérieux dont notre vie est faite, la veine noire de la destinée y reparaît toujours. ~Les Misérables, Victor Hugo

August 8, 2013 12:39 am  #114

Female. Wow, that's a large percentage of females here...

Chiblits wrote:

I believe Sherlock Holmes brings all the girls to the yard...Scotland Yard that is XD

And he's like, "I'm smarter than you."

Unrelated note, Savoureux, I love your icon. I'm on the season finale of Hannibal at the moment, and it's fantastic.

Last edited by DitzyDamnDaffy (August 8, 2013 12:41 am)

"Partita No. 1. Thank you, Johann Sebastian Bach."

August 10, 2013 11:56 am  #115

I'm a male.

-------------------------
"I'm Microsoft Holmes. I'm a software. I'm from the planet 221B in the constellation of Baker Street. I am over 40 years old, and I am the man who's going to save your computer and all six billion Sherlock Fans on the planet below. You got a problem with that?"

August 10, 2013 12:17 pm  #116

One more lady here !

Women sure like speaking about anything, as for example about a sexy-brainy-Sherlock.

Not a fan.

November 19, 2013 2:34 pm  #117

and another female.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

November 19, 2013 3:31 pm  #118

For some reason I never ran across this thread before.

In case I've not made it glaringly obvious, I'm female. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 29, 2013 9:24 am  #119

Female here.

-----------------------------
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.”
Terry Pratchett - A Hat Full of Sky

December 4, 2013 4:28 pm  #120

I don't think it's just because of the forum, I think there are genually more female than male fans. When you watch the comicon appearances of the Moftiss, it's pretty much all girls. There's an interview somewhere in which Moffat addresses the fans as fanboys. Makes me giggle every time. (Sure he's wiser now.) 
I wonder why though. As far as I see, it would have appeal for both sexes equally, it's got a lot of boy stuff and procedurals never have a particular female audience as far as I'm aware. Maybe it's that women can get way more obsessed, but even that isn't true. Shows like Startrek seem to have an obsessed male audience. 
So maybe it's just the cheekbones 

Board footera