BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 21, 2012 1:35 am  #1

Robin Gibb

It was with both sadness and relief that I learned of Robin's passing earlier today.
He had been battling cancer for so long, fought a good fight & had lay in a coma & then in a conscious but 'limited' state for the last few weeks. I am sure all he needed to say had been said to his loved ones & the time has now come to move on in his journey to other places.

Here in Brisbane, we hold a small claim to the Gibb Brothers, having been a place where they started out in the music industry before heading back to Britain. I remember as a little girl, squealing at the TV when the Bee Gees came on to sing. And the first of the group to hold my fanatical gaze was Robin; (later it was Barry).
His voice was an amazing instrument that I find hard to put into words; certainly very distinctive even to the very end.

RIP Robin

I am sure he & his twin brother Maurice will be enjoying each other's company once again.
My heart goes out to Barry, Dwina & the entire Gibb clan.

Broadcaster Paul Gambaccini said Gibb was "talented beyond even his own understanding".

He said: "Everyone should be aware that the Bee Gees are second only to Lennon and McCartney as the most successful songwriting unit in British popular music.

On Radio 5, family friend and DJ Mike Read said: “There was a sort of inevitability because he has been ill for so long. I was texting his wife earlier today and said how was he and she said ‘not good’ but he has been not good before so I didn’t think anything terribly ultimate was going to happen immediately."

Read added: “He had a great gift for pathos, more than any other singer I know.

His voice could make you cry, it was just incredible. He had a great voice and was a great writer."

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

May 21, 2012 2:56 am  #2

Re: Robin Gibb

An amazing poet.

He'll never be replaced but the great thing is he has inspired so many.

A true loss.

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

May 21, 2012 6:44 am  #3

I heard about this today. Truly sad, but as you say Kazza, also no doubt a relief for him and his family.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

May 21, 2012 11:14 am  #4

Only found out when I read the first post here. A sad passing of a huge musical talent and an all round nice person.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 21, 2012 11:33 am  #5

Sad news, he was a superb musician.

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

May 23, 2012 4:23 am  #6

Saw the original of this on Lou Brearley's Twitter; I'd forgotten all about this song & now it's stuck in my head.
Love THIS clip of it though, such good times.

And finally (promise) the best display ever witnessed of powerfully beautiful voices.

Oh forgot to mention before, I hope Robin & Maurice aren't ganging up on little brother Andy up there ^^^ well not too much anyway.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

Board footera