BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 10, 2013 3:42 pm  #21

Re: On Letterman

Ben did! That's enough for me, lol!

But yeah, I see your point. I'm sure there were some people in the audience with giant question marks over their heads.

Last edited by crazybbcamerican (May 10, 2013 3:43 pm)

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

May 10, 2013 6:15 pm  #22

I agree!   I also thought that at the time -  at first it was 'why in the world trot out those stupid otter/Sherlock photos?' -  then, ah.. okay I see.
The earlier part of the show was animal-related, after all.   And keep in mind the producers were likely told by CBS to have Dave not make
Sherlock a topic of conversation-  so this was a silly and sneaky inside way of doing it anyway.  I think BC was well aware of that dynamic.
And yes, most of the audience (other than BC fans) were clueless, so no harm done.

Keep in mind,  the penultimate 'Elementary' episode had just aired that evening on the same channel (with all the hoopla of leading up to their '2 hour season finale'
next week - cramming in Moriarty/Moran/Adler in the mix for it all) - CBS brass have no interest in derailing that hype -
but I suspect possible cumberfan Late Show staffers used the stupid photos as the only nod to 'Sherlock' that they could.

May 11, 2013 8:06 am  #23

Well, I confess I have never seen a DL show before, therefore, like a brave pupil I decided to do my homework and watch some other episodes first. I watched a dozen (Streep, Clooney, Pine, Madonna, Portman, Downey) trying to understand the focus and the tone of the show. My first impression (I don't mean to offend the people who like it) was rather negative, to begin with the space setting (hmm... not sure about the right expression). I was rather put off by the fact that the host is sitting behind a huge desk, often reading his notes and comments and not looking at his guests, why they (guests) are made to sit in a low armchair put in a rather uncomfortable angle. It seems a bit like a teacher calling his pupils for an interrogation. I didn't enjoy the questions, either, rarely insightful and what's more, often "close type" questions (yes or not). In fact  I noticed that a lot of interviews goes with "yeah" "yeah" "yeah" answers.
I showed a couple of these interviews to my daughter and she was like "why this person is being so nasty and tries to humiliate his guests"? 
So well prepared, I finally set to watch BC appearance and I was hugely impressed by the way he kept his ground and didn't let DL bully him (sorry for the word, but I felt it like this). My respect for his quick wit and sharp intelligence increased enormously. Not only was he able to parry every trick Letterman was trying on him, but actually he was even taking upper hand in some moments. I mean, fist the "kid" thing, than the brilliant way he dealt with otter pics, coming out with ingenious and witty comments. He was also clever enough to redirect "Nepal hiking" nonsense into more interesting intercultural experience bit and disarmed the  silly (sorry, I don't have other word for it) Letterman remark about "brain damage" in a pretty charming way. He outwitted Letterman, as well (IMO) regarding Star Trek - Star Wars (supposedly funny) error made by the latter and he had upper hand in the cat and mouse exchange about John Harrison identity. So the final result of the match? 6: 0 for BC, cheers! And I did see Letterman's attitude to change in the course of the interview, and his respect increase as he realized how worthy opponent he had to deal with. The final "sir" was very, very sweet. 

The remark od Letterman about Benedict's acting was totally out of the place, IMO, especially with CP waiting to register his bit (ok, so may be personally I do agree, but it is not the point). It was not only rude, but very awkward for Benedict as it could stir some sour feelings among the fellow actors.  

May 11, 2013 9:50 pm  #24

jenosborn wrote:

I agree!   I also thought that at the time -  at first it was 'why in the world trot out those stupid otter/Sherlock photos?' -  then, ah.. okay I see.
The earlier part of the show was animal-related, after all.   And keep in mind the producers were likely told by CBS to have Dave not make
Sherlock a topic of conversation-  so this was a silly and sneaky inside way of doing it anyway.  I think BC was well aware of that dynamic.
And yes, most of the audience (other than BC fans) were clueless, so no harm done.

Had to be confusing for people who don't know Sherlock.
However, on Jimmy Fallon just last night, Jimmy indicated that he was a Sherlock fan and brought out some fan artwork.

May 11, 2013 11:31 pm  #25

veecee wrote:

jenosborn wrote:

Had to be confusing for people who don't know Sherlock.
However, on Jimmy Fallon just last night, Jimmy indicated that he was a Sherlock fan and brought out some fan artwork.

true - the Jimmy Fallon interaction was much more comfortable,  he's such a fanboy.

May 12, 2013 1:10 pm  #26

Yes, Go Jimmy!

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

Board footera