BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 5, 2013 11:38 am  #121

Re: MEMBERS POLL: What's your age?

OI! Not so much of the fogies! Lol! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 5, 2013 11:46 am  #122

We were with the internet before you were born, actually 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

May 16, 2013 8:04 pm  #123

20-30

Still 4 months to go before I update to 30-40 though. Well, they're just numbers...

Just like old times...

May 16, 2013 11:45 pm  #124

Harriet wrote:

We were with the internet before you were born, actually

I remember manual typewriters, so....  *grin*

May 17, 2013 2:06 pm  #125

Me too. And carbon paper! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 17, 2013 3:40 pm  #126

Has anyone seen my penny loafers? I know I kicked them off around here somewhere...

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

May 17, 2013 3:43 pm  #127

When I were 'lad, all this was nowt but fields!

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

May 17, 2013 6:13 pm  #128

Aye! And you slept in a cardboard box in the middle o' t' road. 

May 17, 2013 6:25 pm  #129

Cardboard? Road?? You don't know you were boren!

We slept in puddle in gravel field en ate coal fir tea.

Cardboard, road...you and your big fancy posh oopbringen'

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

May 17, 2013 6:43 pm  #130

Davina wrote:

Me too. And carbon paper!

Carbon paper. OMG, it's been decades.

I also remember mimeograph machines and helping the teachers "run off copies" of the things they wanted to hand out to the students. No copying machines in those days.

And in high school and college, typing up reports and term papers on that funny special white paper where you could erase your mistakes with a regular eraser and not leave big smudges-- but the trick was then getting the sheet of paper back in the typewriter and lined up again.

Those were the days, my friend.

May 17, 2013 6:44 pm  #131

Tantalus wrote:

Has anyone seen my penny loafers? I know I kicked them off around here somewhere...

And saddle shoes. Ugh.

May 17, 2013 6:45 pm  #132

Davina wrote:

Aye! And you slept in a cardboard box in the middle o' t' road.

And walked five miles to school in the snow. Uphill. In both directions.

May 17, 2013 7:16 pm  #133

Tipped for between the paper to wipe out errors. Banda machines for running off worksheets. These always smelled suspiciously alcoholic to me. Roneo stencil type cutting machine things for running off worksheets with photos etc. on. What were saddle shoes?

Funnily enough I did used to walk about 3 miles to school and weirdly some of that was uphill and downhill. The worst was walking across out local park, in a blizzard, carrying an E-Flat bloody horn in its case. I thought I was going to die! The chilblains were awful! The best bit was sitting by the coal boiler with a hot mug of elderberry wine! Ah those were the days! 

May 17, 2013 7:22 pm  #134

Davina wrote:

What were saddle shoes?

Apparently they're back in again (what goes around, comes around, in fashion) and all the pictures I could find were of the modern incarnations of them. But anyway, this was the style, except ours were a lot boxier and uglier than this back in the 50s, lol.
http://www.robertsshoestore.com/bassimage/Saddle_whiteblack.jpg

May 17, 2013 7:32 pm  #135

I think wed call these 'spats' although they aren't really spats. Spats are like a topper thing you can put n boots and shoes for extra protection. If they are plain colours with the little holes patterning them hen hey are brogues.

May 17, 2013 7:43 pm  #136

Davina wrote:

I think wed call these 'spats' although they aren't really spats. Spats are like a topper thing you can put n boots and shoes for extra protection. If they are plain colours with the little holes patterning them hen hey are brogues.

I imagine they were called saddle shoes back in 50s America because during that time everyone was cowboy-crazy and TV and movies were loaded with back to back Westerns. I have a picture somewhere of L'il Me at age about 5, all outfitted out like Annie Oakley, little shiny six guns in my double holster, cowboy hat jammed down on my head, little cowboy shirt with bolero tie, etc. Everything western was the rage. So mebbe that's why we called them saddle shoes? No idea. Yeah, spats are like something from 100 years ago-- I think men attached them to their shoes to protect the shoes/laces, or maybe just for style? Removable, anyway. And brogues, yes, I know that word, even though Americans don't use it-- I think of any leather lace-up old-fashioned shoe being a brogue. I think technically, saddle shoes are brogues, just with the distinctive pinto-like coloration, lol.

May 17, 2013 8:19 pm  #137

Yeah. I think that Westerns were a really big thing here too, in the UK, in the 1950s. A lot of the films kids and adults went to see were Westerns. Playing 'Cowboys and Indians' (I guess we'd have to say Native Americans nowadays) was a popular game, costumes, pistols and all. I actually miss some of the Spaghetti Westerns, although they were later.

May 21, 2013 10:05 pm  #138

I'm turning 20 in just over a month...

-------------------------------------------------------

May 24, 2013 3:45 pm  #139

I think the category "under twenty" should be splitt up a little. I doese make a difference whether someone is 9 or 19^^

July 1, 2013 1:15 pm  #140

22 already (geez, I'm old!).
I can see that the most of us are under 20... lucky young things ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi.

"Dear God. What is it like in your funny little brains? It must be so boring." - Sherlock Holmes.

http://koktajl-kulturowy.blogspot.com/

Board footera