BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 10, 2013 7:45 pm  #21

Re: POLL: Don't Drink The Water!

To be honest, I never really enjoyed the London tap water during my visits, I didn't like the taste too much.
But I didn't have any actual problems with it at all.

Just saw that the nitrate content of London tap water is exactly at the limit of what is still allowed in Germany for drinking water, and twice as much the amount for Switzerland. 5 times of what German government said acceptable for babies (who are more vulnerable regarding nitrate).
But not a single bacterium 

http://www.thameswater.co.uk/your-account/7486.htm

Last edited by Harriet (April 10, 2013 7:49 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 10, 2013 8:04 pm  #22

MNRebecca wrote:

Actually, I think I'm staying completely in England.  London, Dover, and Cornwall.  That's all England, right?  But should I say Britain anyway?

Oh, oh, oh, I think I've got it!  Unless the exchange is lengthy and substantial enough to make it clear it's England and NOT GB or the UK, I say Britain.  Yes?

Or is it best just to avoid saying England unless anything else would be flat out wrong?

-------------------
Are you local?

April 25, 2013 4:30 am  #23

I use tap water at home for cooking, dishes, the cats, etc...
I tend to prefer to drink bottled water, although I will fill water bottles with tap water sometimes. The thing is, the amount of chlorine in the tap water makes it so you can taste it. I have found that if you fill a pitcher with water and leave it exposed to the air the chlorine taste leaches out after a few hours. I think I actually either heard that or read that somewhere.
At work you can safely drink the tap water but you probably wouldn't want to as the water table is located over rich sulfur deposits. The little town is now called Clifton Springs, but was originally called Sulfer Springs. The sulfer smell gets pretty strong in the summer months.

"I may be on the side of the angels,
but don't think for one second that I am one of them."

April 26, 2013 2:21 am  #24

AliceI wrote:

I use tap water at home for cooking, dishes, the cats, etc...
I tend to prefer to drink bottled water, although I will fill water bottles with tap water sometimes. The thing is, the amount of chlorine in the tap water makes it so you can taste it. I have found that if you fill a pitcher with water and leave it exposed to the air the chlorine taste leaches out after a few hours. I think I actually either heard that or read that somewhere.
At work you can safely drink the tap water but you probably wouldn't want to as the water table is located over rich sulfur deposits. The little town is now called Clifton Springs, but was originally called Sulfer Springs. The sulfer smell gets pretty strong in the summer months.

Yes!  That's exactly what my pro-filter relative had said, in the case that one wouldn't want to bother with something more than that.  Of course, after our discussion, she went and got me a filter-pitcher anyway.  Gotta say it's certainly not a bad thing to use, helping with chlorine and stuff an all.... but interesting how noticeable the taste difference is though, isn't it?

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

April 28, 2013 1:35 am  #25

I only drink tap water, partly because the filter on my refridgerator makes the water taste like rotten cabbage and partly because where I live, the water tastes really fresh and I don't live in the city so I have a well. I would definitely drink filtered water if I lived in a city though...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

April 28, 2013 8:21 pm  #26

horserider99 wrote:

I only drink tap water, partly because the filter on my refridgerator makes the water taste like rotten cabbage and partly because where I live, the water tastes really fresh and I don't live in the city so I have a well. I would definitely drink filtered water if I lived in a city though...

Really?   ...Huh... that's kind of what I was talking about in my original post!  I thought it would be the other way around... with well water, I guess depending on the areas, thought would have more natural deposits of stuff.  Only person I can recall also using a well also kept pitchers of water in the fridge, rather than drink from tap.  But anyhow.....  just interesting hearing how it varies!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

April 29, 2013 6:00 pm  #27

We have a well, and it's the best tasting water ever. Everything else tastes...off somehow.

Oh, and horserider, I'd recommend removing the cabbage from the fridge and see if that helps... : )

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

May 10, 2013 10:11 am  #28

i drink filtered & bottled water.

Board footera