BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 26, 2013 7:15 pm  #1

So how did you get here?

So, I was thinking lately, and got super curious… (always a dangerous prospect…)      and just wondered…. how did everyone else come to be here?
Sure, I mean, no kidding the answer would be obvious for many of you, perhaps especially some of the long-time regulars who were seeking such a forum or those who gathered from the beginning (or were friends of SH's?), but surely I'm not the only one with an unexpected happenchance of coming across it.  Actually, I have one of the threads showing up on google to thank, for me. 

I was actually looking for thoughts on all the ridiculously varied and numbered versions of the compilation of the entire original canon, since it's kinda great you can get different collections for free on Kindle, separately or whole, but hard to tell how the quality is for each.  And one of the forum threads discussing just that idea, of another user trying to figure out which compilation (physical or Kindle) to buy, popped up in my results on Google.  From there, browsed a bit, unsure if wanted to start in a forum, even though it seemed like a good one, until sherlockskitty's thread about being able to catch the same movies/shows when you need captioning/technologies available for deaf/hard-of-hearing sparked me to make an actual account to share my two cents of similar experience.  And then it was history…..   

What about you?

Last edited by Russell (April 26, 2013 7:15 pm)

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

April 26, 2013 7:20 pm  #2

Re: So how did you get here?

I've been on message boards since the very beginning of my internet experience, which was eight years ago.
Whenever I like something I go looking for a message boards to read other people's impressions and theories - it's always interesting to hear other people's thoughts and to make contact with people who love something in the same way you do.
So I typed in 'Sherlock board' into Google and here I am! 

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

April 26, 2013 7:26 pm  #3

I have to admit: I simply can't remember.
I awoke one morning and found myself on this board. And never left since then, apparently.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

April 26, 2013 7:32 pm  #4

Just looked for a forum for BBC Sherlock fans.

ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ᴥส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

April 26, 2013 7:34 pm  #5

I wanted to learn more about BBC Sherlock and came here to find some more to read.

Then I became a member just to say how much I enjoyed lurking on this board and thank all who contributed here.

You can see what happened then... 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 26, 2013 8:32 pm  #6

Sorry, I can't remember. I was looking for news about Sherlock and suddenly I was here, like Tobe. And you can see what happened to me. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 26, 2013 8:42 pm  #7

Lily wrote:

I've been on message boards since the very beginning of my internet experience, which was eight years ago.
Whenever I like something I go looking for a message boards to read other people's impressions and theories - it's always interesting to hear other people's thoughts and to make contact with people who love something in the same way you do.

I would say exactly the same, except that my internet experience started about twice as long ago as Lily's.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

April 26, 2013 9:35 pm  #8

If I recall correctly (hard to remember that far back), I "accidentally" ran across the three season one episodes of "Sherlock" online, and did a search for the show for more information. One of those searches led me here, long before most of you "newbies"! : )

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

April 26, 2013 10:40 pm  #9

Shortly after Series 2 aired in the UK, I did a Google search for "BBC Sherlock forum" or something similar. Couldn't find one. Was disappointed. Made one.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 26, 2013 11:20 pm  #10

QuiteExtraordinary wrote:

Lily wrote:

I would say exactly the same, except that my internet experience started about twice as long ago as Lily's.

Let me join you, girls! 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

April 27, 2013 3:04 am  #11

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Shortly after Series 2 aired in the UK, I did a Google search for "BBC Sherlock forum" or something similar. Couldn't find one. Was disappointed. Made one.

And thanks to that we are now one big happy family!

(●̮̮̃•̃)..(●̮̮̃•̃)
./█\ ♥/█\

April 27, 2013 6:57 am  #12

How relieved I am that many of you, like me, cannot really quite remember how because it was so long ago. Stumbled across it having become a fan of the show and well...here I am...Moderator and all. It's a bit like Hotel California.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 27, 2013 7:35 am  #13

How I got into BBC Sherlock: Was given vouchers to spend at DVD shop; found Sherlock to be to my liking so purchased it - upon watching it, felt that it was the right DVD to spend me voucher on.

How I got onto this forum - google search for sherlock forums

Normally, I'm a lurker but for this particular fandom, I didn't lurk - just got straight onto it.

April 27, 2013 8:15 am  #14

Lily wrote:

Quite my story. My experience with internet forums began when I was eleven. For me it was simply not enough to watch the episodes of Sherlock. I needed a community to share my thoughts with and to read interesting theories about Sherlock's fall. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

April 27, 2013 11:11 pm  #15

Ha.....  thanks guys!  Those are great.... especially got a chuckle out of the comments about simply being a 'long-time fixture'.  Just kind of curiously figured maybe not everyone had been specifically searching for a forum, but lucked out anyways.  And that's kinda cool/strange on your part too, SH!  Mid-series 2 already, in the age of internet fandoms, and hadn't found anything?  Huh.  Glad you were the one to get it started, then!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

May 26, 2013 10:00 pm  #16

I was actually looking up people's theories on how Sherlock survived the fall and found this site. 
Weird, I know.
I'm really glad I did though because now I can vent some of my feels 
-JM

"In a world filled with locked doors, the man with the key is king, and honey, you should see me in a crown."

"Every fairy tale needs a good old-fashioned villain. You need me or you're nothing. Because we're just alike, you and I, except you're boring. You're on the side of the angels."

"You're insane."
"You're just getting that now?"

"We stopped checking for monsters under our bed when we realized they were inside us." 

May 27, 2013 3:35 am  #17

Being stuck at home for an extended period of time and being the avid fan of Sherlock, I thought I would see if there was a relevant message board I could pass some time on.
The link for this board was one of the top suggestions.

------------------------------------------
There's no shortcut to a dream. It's all blood and sweat and life is what you manage in between.

June 18, 2013 11:08 pm  #18

I was just looking around at the release date for the next season and happened upon this forum. It's great that this community exists and that so many people like Sherlock.

June 23, 2013 1:03 pm  #19

It's started when a few weeks ago I went to see Star Trek in cinema and when I saw Benedict I made a resolution to rewatch Sherlock when my exams are finished (they're already, so I'm currenty rewatching all episodes); I wanted to find some good site full of Sherlock fans so I just typed on Google "sherlock bbc forum" and this site was one of the results.

The Road goes ever on and on...

June 23, 2013 1:24 pm  #20

Well, I haven't registered on many message boards in 13 years of internet and currently, I'm only registered on 3 message boards: this one, a Supernatural French fans board and the "WordReference" one (a board about languages, translations...)

I got into Sherlock BBC really late (2 months ago, though I feel like Sherlock's been part of my life for much longer than this! lol) and after a weekend spent watching the two seasons and more than two weeks of intense "research" on internet, I needed to talk about it, share my views, hear what others had to say... except I don't know any fan in "real life".

So I typed "Sherlock BBC message boards" on Google and this one was one of the (incredibly) few replies I'd got.

And here I am!

Last edited by Punch me in the face (June 23, 2013 1:27 pm)

Just like old times...

Board footera