BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 24, 2013 7:08 am  #1

Star Trek Into Darkness - A Report from the World Premiere in Sydney!

G'Day,

and what an extraordinary evening we had.. we went to the World Premiere of 'Star Trek Into Darkness' here in good old Sydney!

It had been somewhat of a challenge to be sure where the premiere would be - in 2009 the world premiere of Star Trek First Contact was held at the Opera House, and quite spectacular. This time it was a more intimate setting, in a smaller cinema right in the heart of Sydney's CBD.

It was clear that Benedict Cumberbatch would be filming Sherlock, but in the end we decided to send a signal to the world after all, Ben is a crucial character in this movie! And we came up with this banner (the genius is the back and the slogans the front):

And gosh, what a start to the premiere - Paramount Pictures threw projections on the heritage building across the road. Definitely a captivating sight.. hundreds of people took pictures in mid-step, quite dangerous on the busiest road in Sydney.

And then it was time for the actors to arrive. Everyone was very patient, and gave plenty of opportunity to the media to talk. Maybe because there was a bet running to use as many hilarious words as possible: "The awesome foursome put together a list of about 50 words, and crowned the person who could use the most words as the winner. What are the words you ask? Well, the list included words such as "sausage", "mixtopia", "diseurythmic", "indefatigable" and "cornswaggle. " Yepp, really. Wanna UMQRA with me?

I managed to chat with the actors as well as J.J. Abrams for a few minutes, and the director really impressed me. I congratulated him on how he re-visioned the visual aesthetics and story-telling of 'Star Trek'.. and how brilliant it'd been he hired Benedict as John Harrison. J.J. was really kind, and confirmed how genious this move had been, indeed!

And onwards on the Carpet towards the patiently waiting fans.. more pictures, interviews and autographs.. and the skyline of future London had been labourisouly installed as a photo background, and was insanely guarded. Well, when I say there were guards.. lol.

And now you Londoners gotta promise to send pictures from the massive London premiere with Benedict, please!

April 24, 2013 7:25 am  #2

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - A Report from the World Premiere in Sydney!

Thanks so much, Doctor, for your report and the exciting pics. The banner is absolutely wonderful. But we already know you as the master of banners, don't we?
Can't wait now for the German premiere in Berlin on April 29th. Sadly, I won't be able to attend it but will be seeing the film on May 8th.

Last edited by tobeornot221b (April 24, 2013 7:42 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

April 24, 2013 10:40 am  #3

Awesome!! Thanks for your report, that was quite interesting. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

April 24, 2013 10:50 am  #4

Fabulous report, Doctor! You are our world-traveling, banner-making, creative reporter fan-girl at large.  So, now what about the movie?  Did you get to see it?  Did you like it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

April 24, 2013 4:16 pm  #5

Wait.

How was the movie??  How did the fans react afterwards?  How much Batch am I actually going to see?  Did they cut his big hand-to-hand fight scene? 

Dude! 

April 26, 2013 3:25 am  #6

G'Day Everyone,

And just a quick note that I will join the conversation about the plot and John Harrsion's fate once the movie has been released worldwide.

I am somewhat surprised myself but Sherlock, esp. season 3, really changed me. I never used to be bothered by spoilers; however, now I find them extremly displeasing. Thus I will not spoil anyone else.

14 days and counting down..

April 26, 2013 7:03 am  #7

That's what I call fairplay. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera