BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 1, 2012 7:56 pm  #1

Love actually...

Love actually…
Anybody seen it?
Our Martin Freeman takes part in this movie!
I think I have watched it at least a thousand times. Because it’s my mothers favourite movie, we watch it at least twice in December, at least once on her birthday and whenever there’s nothing good on TV.
I think it’s so cute and the soundtrack is great.
When I told my sherlocked friend Pitagor what role Martin plays (Light model for adult videos) she was shocked first but then laughed.

MK

December 1, 2012 8:30 pm  #2

Re: Love actually...

Oh, yes, I know it! And love it! It was Alan Rickman who led me to it - actually. 
But I love all episodes of it; Colin Firth, Hugh Grant, Bill Nighey... and of course Martin..... aaahhhhh....
This morning, while decorating for Christmastime - I thought: Soon it's LoveActually time again! 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

December 1, 2012 8:36 pm  #3

One of my favourite films. It took ages until I realised that Watson was that naked guy in Love...actually 

The cast was brilliant.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

December 1, 2012 8:41 pm  #4

Yes! The cast is so great! I don't know how they managed fitting so many great actors in this one Film.
I'm always like: hey! He/she acts in Love actually too! ^^

December 2, 2012 2:05 am  #5

Love Actually is such a great film, the only thing missing is that Benedict wasn't in it.    He needs to do a great romantic movie like this. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

December 2, 2012 3:29 am  #6

I saw this last week. Martin Freeman was good in it, even though he didn't have a large part. He was mostly for comic relief.
Aurelia and Colin Firth (Jamie) were wonderful.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

December 2, 2012 8:15 pm  #7

harleyq wrote:

Love Actually is such a great film, the only thing missing is that Benedict wasn't in it.    He needs to do a great romantic movie like this. 

True he does. He's very good at comedy, why he's never cast in a nice romantic comedy for a change?

Last edited by tiharoa (December 2, 2012 8:15 pm)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Valentine:  Do you know the stars, Mr Tietjens?
Christopher:  I despise astronomy.

December 2, 2012 8:18 pm  #8

Steven Moffat puts it like this:
“Benedict is this sort of beautiful, exotic creature. He’s never going to play an ordinary man, ‘cause he couldn’t. That’s not what he’s like, but he will tell the stories of great men."

Although I'd like to see him in a comedy, too. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 2, 2012 8:38 pm  #9

I can see Moffat's point, but I think he has played all sorts of ordinary men in films. But, by virtue of playing them makes them extraordinary in his way. I don't think he always has to tell the "stories of great men", even though he does that very well. I think he can make just about any story great. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

December 2, 2012 9:12 pm  #10

So do I. I just remembered the quote. Would love to see him in a comedy although I could do without the "Starter for 10" looks. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 3, 2012 5:03 pm  #11

I think he would be great in a comedy because he sometimes is a little bit funny in sherlock (when he tries to show how to shoot yourself with the wrong hand, when he shoots the wall, when he mocks the solar system, when he reads the letter of the girl owning bluebell, etc.)
I really would like the film even more whit Batchy in it ^^
But on the other handI don't know whether I could bare see him all lovey-dovey or in obscene scenes... (or at the side of somebody apart from John... ^^ There's the Johnlocked fangirl speaking ^^'' sorry...)

December 3, 2012 6:26 pm  #12

He is very, very funny in Cabin Pressure!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 24, 2013 8:02 pm  #13

I've seen Love actually about 5 times. I've done it because of the cast (Martin, Alan Rickman, Bill Nighty...) and stories. I like the fact that it isn't another ordinary romantic comedy but in some way wise movie.

Science has not yet taught us if madness is or is not the sublimity of the intelligence.

April 25, 2013 1:26 am  #14

Love Actually is one of my favorite films.  So many so called romantic comedies are neither romantic nor funny.  The stories in Love Actually were generally both ( A couple were sad like the one with Laura Linney or the headmistress in the deleted scenes).  I loved how Richard Curtis  took several conventional romantic comedy situations and gave them twists.

The shy couple making small talk (Naked Stand ins) Martin was utterly adorable in that movie.

The guy chasing his dream girl to the airport to tell her he loves her before she gets on a plane (and he's a little kid)

The guy proposing to the woman he loves in public (In broke Portuguese) Colin Firth, like Martin, was too adorable

Stage curtains opening to expose a kissing couple- It's the Prime Minister-Usually Hugh Grant annoys the crap out of me, but I liked him in Love Actually.

A lot of people have complained about the movie being over two hours, but it was a thoroughly enjoyable two hours.

The deleted scene about Bernie wanting to see people's farts was hilarious, expecially the great Emma Thompson's reaction.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."
Whoa.  Sherlock was quoting Spock who was quoting Sherlock....Mind blown!!

April 25, 2013 7:05 pm  #15

Hey, you forgot the absolute awesome Bill Nighy as elderly "rockstar" !!! Loved it!

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

April 25, 2013 10:55 pm  #16

I love this movie. It's my go to rom-com. I love how everyone's story is linked. Just very clever and very beautiful!

================================================================

April 26, 2013 1:49 am  #17

I love this film. Its actually so good.

Board footera