BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 16, 2013 11:49 am  #821

Re: The game is on again (OFFICIAL NEWS ONLY PLEASE)

If you're referring to what I think you are referring to then I refer you to an article published on the Radio Times website today that explains this in a very logical way and I tend to agree with the conclusions they reach at the end of the article.

I'm not posting the link here because it is a little bit spoilerish for people who don't want to know anything, but you can find it by googling "radio times sherlock" and maybe include the name of your spoiler in the search crtieria too, if you know what I mean.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 16, 2013 11:59 am  #822

If it's the one I think your referring to.  My daughter has just opined:  I think that would be a bit of a cop out.
But as I pointed out, it's only part of the story!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 16, 2013 12:04 pm  #823

I honestly don't think they would do that. It makes no sense. They're much cleverer than that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 16, 2013 12:33 pm  #824

Thanks for the hint, Boss. Sounds quite reasonable. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 16, 2013 12:41 pm  #825

Is something "official news" when it's on Radio Times?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

April 16, 2013 1:00 pm  #826

Would not think so.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

April 16, 2013 1:13 pm  #827

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

I honestly don't think they would do that. It makes no sense. They're much cleverer than that.

I am glad you refered to the article. I think you are right.
Mofftiss are making fun of us and they are trying to mislead everybody. This person is a Jack in the box.
Hopefully.
And they obviously don't mind that we see pictures of the set then.

Last edited by Be (April 16, 2013 1:14 pm)

April 16, 2013 1:20 pm  #828

Schmiezi wrote:

Is something "official news" when it's on Radio Times?

Well, so far I've been posting links to most newspaper articles in this thread but the Radio Times one and the pictures that surfaced on the internet before the article was published have caused quite a stir amongst the fans and so I've decided not to post the link directly on here just in case some people would really prefer to know nothing at all.

April 16, 2013 4:58 pm  #829

So hope you are right. BB your daughter is right, it would be a serious cop out. But my big issue with it would actually be that they said that we could work it out from clues in the episode and this, if its been used, isn't possible to work out.

Can I say, I love the RTs Moran idea-is that too spoilerish? That's pure RT speculation with nothing to support it at all, which is why I mention it but if its too spoilerish I shall delete.

I'll tell you, I've been actively avoiding spoilers but this one is everywhere, I saw it via Facebook and the title gives it all away.

ETA there is one thing bugging me that makes me think this might be a ruse. I remember reading that the resolution scenes had actually already been filmed. I've read that quite a few times and it makes total sense to do that, surely, especially as they had already had series 3 commissioned.

Last edited by beekeeper (April 16, 2013 5:11 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

April 16, 2013 5:51 pm  #830

beekeeper wrote:

I remember reading that the resolution scenes had actually already been filmed. I've read that quite a few times and it makes total sense to do that, surely, especially as they had already had series 3 commissioned.

I remember that, too. And it is what's confusing me.
That would mean that they build up the complete set again - just to tease us fans and mislead us? Isn't that a bit expensive? Do you really think they would do that? Somehow I cannot imagine, but I love the idea. This would be so cool!!
And: Could't they hide more from us if they just wanted to? I believe so. What do you think?

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

April 16, 2013 6:22 pm  #831

Mattlocked wrote:

That would mean that they build up the complete set again - just to tease us fans and mislead us? Isn't that a bit expensive?

Of course they could easily afford this - just given the heaps of DVDs I would buy and thus earn them more than they've ever been dreaming of...

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

April 16, 2013 6:53 pm  #832

I have already said to somebody via PM, the BBC cannot afford filming false scenarios.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 16, 2013 7:13 pm  #833

Yeah I tend to agree BB.

What I'd prefer to go with though is the suggestion in the last part of the RT article. The only thing is that there are then two channels involved, BBC and C4. (hope that's not saying too much) and they just don't work together. So I'm not sure. The only other possibility could be that they were filming a "making of" or something. Please god. (is that too spoilery? Again let me know, I'll delete)

TBH I'd go with anything at all other than the obvious possibility. Jonathan Creek's bouncy pavement is looking really attractive around now.

Oh ETA one thing. Looking at the scenes I've now seen, I don't think they are necessarily refilming the fall, are they? Correct me if I'm wrong, I am really trying to avoid spoilers and haven't seen many. Or have they? Its just to film what they have filmed (oh christ this is getting complex) doesn't seem to me to need much in the way of set up at all. And while yes the beeb doesn't hae money for hoaxes, what this is going to do, with the level of speculation involved, is push ratings way up, and possibly attract an additional fan base.

The thing is I am a massive fan of what it is the spoiler is about iyswim, massive, but I just think it is SO wrong here.

Last edited by beekeeper (April 16, 2013 7:23 pm)

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

April 16, 2013 7:22 pm  #834

I haven't seen the RT article, so don't actually know what people are talking about...well, I have an idea!

April 17, 2013 7:37 am  #835

I haven't seen many set pictures. Maybe they have to do what Doyle did: Invent something additional that was not there before. Some TV magic. They must film it now afterwards. That's what Doyle did to bring Holmes back, to break the fourth wall.
They can not just film this bit because it would be too obvious. So they fake-film some other nonsense to hide the tiny bit that we overlook.

April 17, 2013 7:55 am  #836

besleybean wrote:

I have already said to somebody via PM, the BBC cannot afford filming false scenarios.

(Unfortunately) you can put me down for this quote too - I also spoke about this at the London Sherlock meeting.

April 17, 2013 10:01 am  #837

Be wrote:

I haven't seen many set pictures. Maybe they have to do what Doyle did: Invent something additional that was not there before. Some TV magic. They must film it now afterwards. That's what Doyle did to bring Holmes back, to break the fourth wall.
They can not just film this bit because it would be too obvious. So they fake-film some other nonsense to hide the tiny bit that we overlook.

But Moffat/Gatiss said, that Doyle made a big incredible fake scenario (because he actually didn´t plan to bring him back) and that they want to do it better. They also said, we are able to see everything, we don´t even need slow motion.
@ besleybean: I also don´t think that they fake a whole setting - what a waste of money and time this would be! But on the other hand I can imagine a little Moffat/Gatiss joke - to bring somebody to an actual set to confuse the whole setlock-junkies . That would be only less effort, especially in comparison to the shaped ape, which Paul McGuigain placed in ASiB. Time for a little fun.....

April 17, 2013 10:47 am  #838

anjaH_alias wrote:

But Moffat/Gatiss said, that Doyle made a big incredible fake scenario (because he actually didn´t plan to bring him back) and that they want to do it better. They also said, we are able to see everything, we don´t even need slow motion.
@ besleybean: I also don´t think that they fake a whole setting - what a waste of money and time this would be! But on the other hand I can imagine a little Moffat/Gatiss joke - to bring somebody to an actual set to confuse the whole setlock-junkies . That would be only less effort, especially in comparison to the shaped ape, which Paul McGuigain placed in ASiB. Time for a little fun.....

I was thinking the same yesterday - other series have filmed alternate episodes to keep cliffhangers secret (IIRC, they had something like seven versions ready to go for the 'Who Shot JR' episode).  But of course, that's money as well as time, and it's not like a weekly series - all of the actors have other commitments.

I can see a short scene, perhaps, or some fake stills to anonymously throw out on the internet.  If I'm guessing right about the Person of Interest who was seen, however, I'd think it was flashback.  I don't think they'd mess with anything involving the actual fall, as they said everything was there to be seen in TRH.  My understanding is that anything additional, such as a camera angle that makes something a bit more obvious, was also filmed at the same time.  (For one thing, they wanted to avoid the problems they had with the resolution for TGG, when the actors came back with different hair, weights, etc.)

And of course, with regard to some possible Persons of Interest, they genuinely enjoyed being part of the show, so they might be stopping by out of curiosity or might not mind being used as red herrings to drive the fans crazy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: OK...That was ridiculous. That was the most ridiculous thing...I've ever done.
Sherlock: And you invaded Afghanistan.
John: That wasn't *just* me.

April 17, 2013 10:48 am  #839

I also find it slightly confusing that they said ages ago (when Series 3 was officially announed), that they had already filmed the resolution at the same time as the fall and to be honest, it makes a lot more sense for them to do that, especially seeing as no one really knew what was going on/going to happen with regards to Sherlock faking his death, so it would have been easy to film something spectacular and nobody on set watching would really realise what it was about or put two and two together. If they try to film the resolution now, EVERYONE will be watching and trying to figure out if what they're filming is part of the solution - which is exactly what people ARE doing.

They have filmed sections of the fall because they spent a couple of days at St Barts and Benedict had his stunt double on set etc, but I don't think any of those scenes will be crucial in giving us any clues as to how he did it. They'll just be shots from different angles for when Sherlock is explaining how he did it and maybe some of the shots they took before weren't good enough or something.

This new thing is quite confusing, certainly  I don't think they would spend a whole day filming just to do something fake and they certainly wouldn't waste footage. Even if the footage doesn't appear in Sherlock, it will almost certainly appear somewhere else, as part of a documentary perhaps on how easy it is to con the public through mass media and the internet.

April 17, 2013 10:50 am  #840

Another thought I had was that these scenes might be used for a short dream sequence of John dreaming about the fall.

Board footera