BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 23, 2012 6:02 am  #1

Pool scene -the eyes have it

Just seen what John does with his eyes when he opens his jacket with the bomb strapped to him.

Got it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 23, 2012 4:05 pm  #2

Re: Pool scene -the eyes have it

No, will need to go back and have a look!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

February 23, 2012 4:48 pm  #3

If you think of another famous fictional detective it might help. That's a clue!

'I hate riddles!'

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 23, 2012 5:35 pm  #4

Do you refer to the rumour that John blinks SOS Morse signals with his eyes? After having been watching it umpteenth times I'd say no.  Oh, and I remember Mark Gatiss say on Twitter that Martin in fact didn't.
Or do you mean something completely different, Davina?

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

February 23, 2012 6:11 pm  #5

Also, why would he need to blink SOS signals - Sherlock can already see he needs help!

February 23, 2012 6:21 pm  #6

In the first seconds at the pool Sherlock must believe that John is Moriarty. John is forced to repeat  Moriarty's words he hears from his earphone. At this moment John might signal Sherlock that he's not Moriarty.  The Morse signals are a way to warn Sherlock about the imminent danger he will be in (a first attempt of "Sherlock, run!").

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

February 23, 2012 7:46 pm  #7

I don't think he did but maybe ...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you eliminate the impossible,
What every remains,
However improbable,...
Must be the truth !

February 23, 2012 8:22 pm  #8

It's definitely morse code that he's blinking. It is true that initially it does sound as if John could be Moriarty.

February 23, 2012 10:03 pm  #9

How d'you mean? Surely Sherlock would know that John wasn't Moriarty?

February 24, 2012 1:33 am  #10

John is half the pool's length away from Sherlock when he enters. Sherlock's good, but even he would have trouble defining something like that at such a distance!

His rapid blinking shows no sign of morse code. All the blinks are short with pauses every now & then & actually coincide with his talking. To blink morse code you would do short & long blinks & there's no hint of any of them being long (that would mean eyes closed for a long pause) The spaces between blinks would need to be spaces between letters.
So in reality all he is coding is one dot over & over again.
One dot = e
Hmm I guess that would fit though = eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!
Also, what would he need to convey to Sherlock? His plight is obvious.

The writers have set this up to give a brief moment of doubt to the viewers that John is Moriarty; but as I said, only to the viewer.
Sherlock would not have thought that, he'd had enough dealings with both to know that could never be true. His reaction was one of concern, 'OMG what's he done to John now?'

Last edited by kazza474 (February 24, 2012 1:35 am)

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

May 20, 2012 4:48 am  #11

john was blinking S O S  in  morse code with his eyes.   three  short  blinks  for  S,  and three long blinks for O   I  think.    that's what it looked like, to me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

May 20, 2012 5:29 am  #12

Have you really watched it closely? There is no way that there are any discernible 'blinks'; it's just nerves.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

May 20, 2012 6:14 am  #13

I read somewhere telse that john was blinking SOS  to sherlock....can't remember where....and I re watched that scene several times...I  guess I'm  not quite sure  of it,  now.

Last edited by sherlockskitty (May 20, 2012 6:15 am)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

May 20, 2012 6:20 am  #14

That was a rumour started on Tumblr, when all the theories started coming out of the woodwork.
I also remember seeing someone connected to the show ( May have been Ian Hallard, not sure) negating that one as anything more than fiction.

Really, I have tried watching it with an open mind but just cannot see it at all.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

May 20, 2012 6:24 am  #15

tobeornot221b wrote:

Do you refer to the rumour that John blinks SOS Morse signals with his eyes? After having been watching it umpteenth times I'd say no.  Oh, and I remember Mark Gatiss say on Twitter that Martin in fact didn't.

Well, I quote myself on this, apparently...

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

May 20, 2012 6:25 am  #16

Ah yes, lol I knew I had seen it referenced 'somewhere' lol
Thanks.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

Board footera